PDA

View Full Version : CVA Plainsman Rifle - video

Sixgun Symphony
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnxEhVQIDY

I found it for sale in a pawnshop. $125 and out the door. I am loading .490 ball with pre-lubed patches, 50gr of FFG and using Remington #11 caps.

waksupi
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Pretty good video. I would suggest gripping a ramrod no more than six inches above the muzzle. Using a wood ramrod your seating mishap could have resulted in a broken rod through the hand. Seen it done. Ugly.

Boerrancher
02-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Cool video, but I would consider a load that wasn't so tight. Based on my own personal experience is that tight loads can cause you to beat the snot out of the ball causing it to become deformed, and deformed balls are much less accurate. I prefer them to slide smoothly all the way down to the powder charge. If they hang up on fouling you need to change your lube. Also if you can't shoot it 15 or 20 times with out swabbing you need to change your lube, load, or both.

Best wishes,

Joe

mooman76
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
I myself prefer not to even use wooden rods for reasons mentioned. I have wood rod for all my guns to keep them real. I also enjoyed your video. Nice little gun. I had one like it years ago and did the mistake of selling it to someone that didn't take care of it. Bad thing was I knew he wouldn't but he kept after me until I gave in.

twotoescharlie
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
looks a little hard to load,rough or fouled bore??

TTC

oldseventy72
02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
looks a little hard to load,rough or fouled bore??

TTC

or a real tight patch

longbow
03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I will echo what others have said ~ that PRB seems a little tight or the bore is fouled.

A friend of mine broke the front end off a wooden ram rod and put it through his hand trying to load a tight PRB. He was gripping high and pushed hard. He ran about half of what was left of the ramrod through his hand.

Having said that, it looks like a nice gun at a good price. What sort of accuracy are you getting?

Longbow

Hanshi
03-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Nice gun but I'll agree your load could be just a little tight....or maybe not. Certainly you should grip the rod just a few inches from the muzzle and push down in stages. You had a minor boo boo there but that could have been a major injury.

Sixgun Symphony
03-05-2012, 01:50 AM
It was a fouled bore, I was shooting pre-lubed patches. They're old and a bit dry, I should have added some Borebutter to make 'em wet.

I will be sure to grip the ramrods lower next time too.

Sixgun Symphony
03-05-2012, 01:52 AM
BTW, I was getting a tight cloverleaf group at 25yds.

SamTexas49
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Is it just me or when he was seating the ball wit hthe short starter that was first clue things were to tight? I dont recall having to wack the ST that much to start ball ? Then so much "ramming" with the ramrod? On the range Ive used both metal and wood ramrods (extended length) and with a one smooth action. Rifle ramrod serves in the feed. Sounds like your getting good grouping with it, good buy !