PDA

View Full Version : Bedding and Finishing Products vs. Cold

Shiloh
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
This might not be the right area, so mods, move if necessary.

Any one ordered Acra-glas or Birchwood-Casey Tru oil in the colder months??
My concern is if it sits outside for several hours before I get home.
The guy at Browness thought it would be okay as it was wrapped and inside a package.

Any one of you guys have any experience with this type of thing??

Shiloh

knifemaker
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Stick a insulated cooler outside by your front door and leave a message for the UPS or Fed Ex driver to place the items in it and close the lid. should not freeze in several hours then.

williamwaco
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Summer's coming.

Wait a couple of months and don't worry about it.

Shiloh
02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Summer's coming.

Wait a couple of months and don't worry about it.

I hope to have this project finished, up and running well before summer.

Shiloh

leftiye
02-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Could you get any at a store locally?

44man
02-28-2012, 09:22 AM
It will not hurt a thing just let them warm up.
I bedded a lot of rifles and after I am done I might need some touch up. I put the mixed Accra glass in the freezer to stop it from getting hard.
A little warm up and I can fill any bad spots with it.
Even old Accra glass that has sugared can be brought back by warming the jar in hot water.

geargnasher
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I store my Acra-Glass in the freezer, hasn't hurt it yet. Tru-Oil will survive freezing just fine if unopened. If opened, it hazes badly from moisture. It can separate of frozen unopened, just warm it and shake it up really well before using. I find I like to heat Tru-Oil to about 110 degrees before applying it when hand-rubbing it, it soaks in much better.

Gear

Hardcast416taylor
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Before you are done using your Tru-oil, put some vaseline on the threads in the bottle cap. Wipe off the threads on the bottle then screw the cap on and store the bottle cap end down. The vaseline will prevent the cap from cementing itself to the bottle by the Tru-oil finish being in the threads and curing.Robert

oldred
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Freezing will not hurt the Acru-glas, just warm it up before using. However this is not the case AFTER the hardener has been added and the mixture must be maintained at a warm temperature until it sets up, if it is allowed to get too cold while going through the set-up stage it will never harden properly even if warmed up afterwords.

whisler
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
To keep Tru-oil from skinning over in a part full container, drop some glass marbles in, to take up the air space. A full container will not skin over.

44man
02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
To keep Tru-oil from skinning over in a part full container, drop some glass marbles in, to take up the air space. A full container will not skin over.
Works fine. I just squeeze the bottle when almost full to get rid of air when I put the cap on. But after the level goes down, marbles are great.
With all of us "sperts" here, we should have come up with a magic, shrinking bottle! :holysheep

whisler
02-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I think that is called a syringe!!!

Shiloh
03-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Any one ordered Acra-glas or Birchwood-Casey Tru oil in the colder months??
My concern is if it sits outside for several hours before I get home.

Got the package today. Cold, but no where near freezing. It was packed well and plenty of insulating
wrapping.

Turned out to a non issue, but I was concerned.

Shiloh

geargnasher
03-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Before you are done using your Tru-oil, put some vaseline on the threads in the bottle cap. Wipe off the threads on the bottle then screw the cap on and store the bottle cap end down. The vaseline will prevent the cap from cementing itself to the bottle by the Tru-oil finish being in the threads and curing.Robert

I love this place, I never thought to do either one of those things, you have no idea how many steel-capped bottles and tubes I have that will benefit from this advice! THANK YOU!

Gear