PDA

View Full Version : First bullets

Sasquatch-1
02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
OK, now that I am done breaking equipment, I hope, here are some picks of the first batch of swaged bullets.
They may not be the purtiest girl on the block but they are a cheap date.

Reload3006
02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Looks purty enough for me ... if you dont wanna dance with her I will LOL Grats!! its all down hill from here

MIBULLETS
02-27-2012, 02:17 PM
They look good enough to shoot to me. What brand of dies are you using?

Sasquatch-1
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
They look good enough to shoot to me. What brand of dies are you using?

I beleive the originals were called Swage-it. I purchased it from Hawks Precission bullets. A Single die with the nose forming punch going in the shell holder.

MIBULLETS
02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh yes, I've seen them before. Thanks and good shooting!

BT Sniper
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Yep look good. Hawk dies are same as the shooters shack on ebay I think. Check the diameter. Seems like the ones I got where .002 big for shooting the half jackets or less as I recall.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Sasquatch-1
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Yep look good. Hawk dies are same as the shooters shack on ebay I think. Check the diameter. Seems like the ones I got where .002 big for shooting the half jackets or less as I recall.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Called and talked to the guy who runs the company and stayed on the phone for about an hour. Really nice guy to deal with. He threw in a hand full of jackets and the zink washers he uses for gas checks.

Wayne Smith
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Mine are Herter's, the same style. I slipped the ram from the Lee Bulge Buster kit in place of the nose punch, upended a case over it, and am swaging full wadcutters.

Sasquatch-1
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Mine are Herter's, the same style. I slipped the ram from the Lee Bulge Buster kit in place of the nose punch, upended a case over it, and am swaging full wadcutters.

Are these the ones where the head stamp is transfered to the nose of the bullet.

When I order my set he included nose form punches to make wadcutter, semi wad cutter and round nose. Unfortunately the round nose will not round over the jacket material. I can only make half jacket bullets. He also included base punches for flat base which is used for jackets and can be used for lead, and a base punch that attaches the zinc gas check that he sells. I am actually thinking about buying a bunch of the checks.

Ervin
03-08-2012, 09:05 PM
A few years ago I called the owner of Sport Flight to see what they were selling after buying their dies decades ago. I talked to his wife who said they retired and had sold all their tools and equipment to a man in New Jersey. They were packing and retireing to Florida. I recently bought a set of 10mm dies from Swage It that were very close to to Sport Flite dies. Ervin

Sasquatch-1
03-09-2012, 08:10 AM
A few years ago I called the owner of Sport Flight to see what they were selling after buying their dies decades ago. I talked to his wife who said they retired and had sold all their tools and equipment to a man in New Jersey. They were packing and retireing to Florida. I recently bought a set of 10mm dies from Swage It that were very close to to Sport Flite dies. Ervin

Was Sport Flight the one who had come up with the idea of putting the zinc "gas check/washer" on the bottom. If so, Hawks is probably the one who bought the out. He told me he had bought out the company mainly for that bullet design. He got the plans and the equipment for making the swage dies, along with a bunch of dies, when he bought the company.

Wayne Smith
03-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Are these the ones where the head stamp is transfered to the nose of the bullet.

Yes, those are them. It's fun making them. The more I make the further the primer and center of the brass bend down and I'm now getting wadcutters with a bit of a nose. I'm gonna keep using the same case and see how far it will go.