PDA

View Full Version : Person of Interest

LAH
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
This guy has been around, anyone know him?

CW4 Alfred B. Bazzarre Jr. U.S. Army

CAMERON, N.C. — Alfred Black Bazzarre Jr. passed away after a long illness on February 17, 2012, in Cameron, N.C.

He was born February 18, 1947, in Beckley, to Alfred B. Bazzarre Sr. (deceased) and Ida Belle McKinney Bazzarre (living).

He attended Mercer University, Beckley College and West Virginia University.

Mr. Bazzarre was an avid hunter and enjoyed his classic cars, hunting dogs and horses.

He followed his father’s career as an aviator, excelling at his flying during peace time and several overseas conflicts. He began his career as a Warrant Officer in 1969 graduating from flight school at Fort Rucker, Alabama, in June 1970. He immediately deployed to Vietnam and flew “Dust Off” with 1CAV. He was a MEDEVAC Huey pilot flying in to pick up our WIA/KIA during his year-long tour. He also flew into enemy fire and rescued two downed Navy pilots. Al had tours of duty in Germany, Korea and was assigned to Fort Bragg for most of his career assigned to Special Ops, 82d Airborne Division and XVIIIth Airborne Corps deploying forward during Desert Storm. He was an extremely skilled UH60 “Black Hawk” pilot and held highly selected positions because of his exceptional flying expertise.

Upon retirement in 1993 after 23 years of service, he worked at Fort Bragg Simmon’s Airfield training pilots on UH60 simulators. He retired in June 2011 as an Army civilian.

He earned many highly distinguished medals and was known widely as one of the Army’s best helicopter pilots. His medals are as follows: Army Service Ribbon - National Defense Service Medal w/ Bronze Service Star - Meritorious Service Medal w/ 1 Oak Leaf Cluster - Air Medal - Army Commendation Medal w/2OLC - Army Achievement Medal w/2OLC - Army Good Conduct Medal - Vietnam Service Medal - Overseas Service Ribbon 3 - Armed Forces Reserve Medal - Southwest Asia Service Medal with Bronze Service Star 2 - Kuwait Liberation Medal Saudi Arabia - Master Aviator Badge - Vietnam Campaign Medal - Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.

Al is survived by his loving mother, Ida Bazzarre, Hillsborough, N.C.; three daughters, Angela Davis and her husband, Chris, of Fayetteville, N.C., Melanie Klotz and her husband, Bill, of Raleigh, N.C., Rebecca Bazzarre, and their mother, Carla Jo Bazzarre, of Fayetteville, N.C. He is also survived by a brother, Terry Bazzarre and his wife, Chris, of Efland, N.C., a sister, Lynn Schnurr and her husband, Rodney, of Prince William, Va. Al was blessed with four grandchildren, Colton, Ava Grace, Jacob and Caleb; a niece, Rae Bazzarre; and a nephew, Ryan Schnurr. He was extremely close to his Uncle Roy Bazzarre and his Aunt Helen Bazzarre, and Aunt Betty Lee Bazzarre (all of Beckley) and many close cousins.

At the time of his death he was living in Cameron, N.C., with his wife, Leigh, and had two stepchildren, Aaron and Tanna, and a grandson, Cameron.

The Bazzarre Family is planning a celebration of his life to be held in Efland, N.C.

Online at www.adcockfuneralandcrematory.com.

Arrangements by Adcock Funeral Home & Crematory, 2226 Lillington Hwy, Spring Lake, NC 28390, 910-497-0171.

Larry Gibson
02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
"Lest we forget".....peace be with him.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Rest in peace! You have earned it!
1Shirt!

contender1
02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I never knew him, nor have I heard of him. However, as an old Huey crewchief/doorgunner, 1st Cav Div, I can relate to him. R.I.P. brother.

LAH
02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
I didn't know him either but I'm sure in his career he touched many lives.

MtGun44
02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Never knew the man, but anyone that ever flew Dustoff from a hot LZ deserves a
special place of honor among men.

Bill

koehn,jim
02-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I second what MTGUN44 said.