PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate screw on NOE mould

Paulinski
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
The sprue plate screws backs out on my 230gr NOE mould. I tighten it and every time move the sprue plate the screw back out.

This mould casts such nice boolits except for this annoying screw issue. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Pauli

cbrick
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Did you tighten the set screw that holds the sprue plate screw in place? If that is tight then I would shoot Al a PM and ask for suggestions.

Rick

w5pv
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Did you tighten the set screw that holds the sprue plate screw in place? If that is tight then I would shoot Al a PM and ask for suggestions.

Rick If you have enough room drill and tap to put an additional set in to lock the the sprue plate screw in place.

Paulinski
02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't really want to do any drilling or tapping on a new mould...

I guess I'll just keep tightening the screw when casting...

SwedeNelson
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Paulinski

To adjust the sprue plate screw do the following.
Check the small horizontal set screw to confirm that it is loose.
Do not try to move the vertical sprue plate screw if the set screw in not loose.
You can and will damage the sprue plate screw.
With the set screw loose adjust the sprue plate screw so the sprue plate swings
free with just a small amount of resistance, This will change as your mould heats up
and you may have to change it as you cast to find that happy medium.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/sprueplateagestment001.jpg

After you have adjusted the sprue plate screw tighten the horizontal set screw to hold it in place.
Just snug the screw up so you don't damage the sprue plate screw.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/sprueplateagestment002.jpg

If by chance this doesn't work for you please get back to me and we will get you taken care of.
This is also a very good time to use some sprue plate lube to keep things moving smooth.

Drilling a new hole is not necessary.

Swede Nelson

Paulinski
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info Swede. I'll check that tonight.

captaint
02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I might add to that - cut a very small piece of solid copper wire, maybe 12 ga - and drop the little copper "plug" in the lock screw hole. Then insert and tighten the locking screw. This will keep the lock screw from damaging the sprue plate screw. I think RCBS actually does this. They use a nice little flat piece of copper, I assume. Whatever it is, it works. I used to use lead shot for this job, however, the lead will melt and allow things to loosen up. enjoy Mike

Paulinski
02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Got everything set. :)

Thanks everyone...

Blammer
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
oooooooooooooo, I like the pictures!

MT Chambers
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
That is NOE not Lee, and they think of most everything, installing that set screw is required on Lee products, most all their products.

Paulinski
02-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Casted this evening - adjusted to sprue plate screw as Swede indicated and it worked like a charm.

Now I have a bunch of beautiful 230gr boolits to lube / size. :)

Arceagle
02-28-2012, 03:17 AM
The copper wire suggested by captaint is a good idea. I use lead shot under set screws on other things, but I didn't know what to use on mold set screws. The copper sounds like just the thing to prevent screw damage.

Christorbust
03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm impressed; less than an hour and a half after the problem was brought up the manufacturer himself popped up and fixed it.

Coincidentally he fixed mine too, and I barely realized there was a problem!

I'm even more pleased with my new NOE now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I might add to that - cut a very small piece of solid copper wire, maybe 12 ga - and drop the little copper "plug" in the lock screw hole. Then insert and tighten the locking screw. This will keep the lock screw from damaging the sprue plate screw. I think RCBS actually does this. They use a nice little flat piece of copper, I assume. Whatever it is, it works. I used to use lead shot for this job, however, the lead will melt and allow things to loosen up. enjoy Mike

just an FYI,
Saeco molds use a small brass plug...The one RCBS mold I reconditioned didn't have any type of plug, not saying they don't use one.
Jon

cbrick
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
The one RCBS mold I reconditioned didn't have any type of plug, not saying they don't use one. Jon

Yes, RCBS does use a brass plug, if ya call and ask them they will send ya some.

Rick

Irascible
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
RCBS does use the brass plug, They sent me one for free along with the new, thicker and free sprue plate for an old mold.
By the way, why did no one suggest grinding/filing a flat on the pivot screw for the set screw to engage? I end up doing that on all my Lyman moulds.

nanuk
03-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Irascible: how do you guarantee that you won't need to move the screw at some time in the future, and the flat won't clock right....

Blammer
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
just grind another flat. :)