PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Marlin 44Mag Mag Tube,

Four Fingers of Death
02-27-2012, 04:29 AM
No doubt you have all heard about the flooding in Australia, we didn't get flooded, but my drain got overwhelmed and drowned my pistol safe which is at floor level (must be bolted to the floor and the wall here. What I dodn't realise was that my rifle safe, which has been waterproof so far, shipped a fair amount of water and some of the guns suffured as a result (only the expensive shotguns and the Marlin. :(

The Marlin ended up with a big bit of nasty rust on the left hand side of the mag tube at the front. I have cleaned it all off and oiled it. It will not clean up properly as there is pretty severe pitting (must be cheap metal in the mag tube). I was thinking that when I refinish the rifle, it would be hardly visible if I was to turn the mag tube so that the affected area was between the barrel and the tube.

Are the mag tubes loosly fitted like my 1866 or is too easy a fix? I have generally found that if the fix is easy, it won't work, lol.

leftiye
02-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Is there enough metal to file out the pits? Then polish. Numrich has 1894 mag tubes for about $23,50. They don't specify caliber, so maybe best to order by phone.

stubshaft
02-27-2012, 07:05 AM
IIRC - There is a slot for the barrel band which may make turning the tube difficult to index.

Four Fingers of Death
02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
IIRC - There is a slot for the barrel band which may make turning the tube difficult to index.

I thought that there would be something like that. Most times when you think of an easy way of fixing things, turns out you are way off beam!

W.R.Buchanan
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
FFOD: actually I did hear of the flooding over there, sorry to hear you were affected.

I'd just get a new mag tube. It will cost you more to fix the one you have. $23 is too little to mess with, and you'll get a perfect part you can just install and be done with it.

Randy

Mumblypeg
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Four Fingers of Death, I have one just sitting on my loading bench from a rebarell job. What you think it would cost to ship it to you? PM me.