PDA

View Full Version : Another use for a pocket

Buckshot
06-27-2005, 10:25 PM
.............Nothing earthshaking here :D. I have been a user of pockets out of junked jeans for quite some time. Early on I'd have my mom or grandmother actually sew a button loop and button on to close the flap if that seemed a good idea. Later on in life it was no big to cut a small bit of whang leather for re-inforcement and set a snap closer.

Prior to Winnemucca this year, Deputy Al and I made another side trip to Cedarville, CA to deal death and destruction amongst the ground squirrel population of Surprise Valley. Recalling the previous year how much fun it was to get off our butts and do a little 'Walk About' with the peestols and flushing the pesky critters. It provided some fast and furious shooting with the lesser guns (handguns). So:

http://www.fototime.com/115E9559A8415E1/standard.jpg

I'm sure someone makes mag pouches for the Ruger 22 semi auto. However the thought struck me but a few days before departure and the above seemed like it would handily work. Looks kind of country I know :-) but it DID WORK just fine. The safety pin allowed it to be hung about anywhere it was handy. There is another piece of brass shimstock on the backside. Served to provide positive seperation of the mags, and good purchase for the pop rivits.
Plus it stiffend it up.

What else I've used pockets for is to hold one of those little fuel tablet wing stoves, and tube of fuel tablets and collapsable cup. Mainly in my fanny pack when hunting. Doesn't rattle. Another pocket would contain my lensatic compass and a waterproof match container. I had my grandmother stitch one up to hold five 30-06 cartridges with velcro along the flap

Used to carry 3 fifty round boxes of 22 RF in one, but discovered milsurp mag pouches for that. They do a better job of protecting the cardstock boxes. I've recently gotten several micrometers (used, no cases) so each resides in a pocket in a drawer :lol:

Anyway it's no big deal and I'm sure it's not original to me, but I think they're pretty handy for certain things. Next time you split the seat out of your Wranglers, you might orta hang on to a few of the pockets!

.............Buckshot

MT Gianni
07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Ric I think a open end on the brass shim stock could be used as a belt clip like an inside the pants holster. My problem is between dirt, keys and 12 " crescent wrenches the pockets don't last much longer than the jeans. Gianni.

carpetman
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
I took the belt loop section off a pair of jeans and cut it down to length and made a hat band. Has a little belt on it. The original button is used just like buttoning your pants.

NVcurmudgeon
07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
We have an excellent family size Bangladeshi Sears tent. Once you take it out of the bag it is impossible to put it all back in. The bag was adequate for the tent and accessories, but not the poles. My wife made a great pole bag from our daughter's old blue jeans. She cut off one leg and sewed the remaining half of the waist together, then added extra belt loops all the way around. Then she sewed the one cuff shut, forming a long narrow bag. The bag is closed by running a light rope through the belt loops. This makes a very sturdy bag, but it only works if you have blue jeans from a very tall person.

grumble
07-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Curmudg, the same idea works great as a gun sack for a 14" Contender. Buckshot's "pockets" idea, leaving the belt loops attached, make great screw and nail bags (you can't hardly find a Carpenter's Apron anymore -- hardware stores used to give them away, along with yardsticks). Cleaning patches cut from old jeans legs make great hand lapping patches since they're strong enough to take the pressure. They also work pretty well as roundball patches. Doubled or tripled, jean leg cutouts do well as a pouch in a sling. All sorts of uses!