PDA

View Full Version : Early Metallic Cartridge Age Bullet Lube Application?

Josh Smith
02-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Hello,

I've got several ideas for bullet lubes I'd like to try with tumble lubing.

As this may be used with blackpowder, I'd like to keep it blackpowder friendly. We're talking .45 Colt and .44-40 stuff here, but it will initially be applied to the .45acp.

Been playing with pure beeswax. I figured out how to do a thin film, but the problem is it may be too thin on the tumble-lube bullet.

From a 5" tube it looks like it may be just starting to lead near the end. The bullet a 200 grain traveling at around 900fps, which duplicates the original load JMB had in mind.

Figure if it works for that, it will work for slower 230 grain boolits as well!

I'm also thinking that the beeswax makes a better carrier than actual lube. Looking at historical data, tallow was used in varying amounts. I think olive oil would duplicate tallow nicely and not sweat out.

Figure I'll start 1:4 and go from there.

Now, the application process is what has me a bit stumped. How did they apply lube to bullets back in the day? How do they apply it to modern .22LR bullets today, if they are not dipped as loaded rounds?

Am I right in that beeswax is a better carrier than lubricant? Is there a best way to prevent excessive lube buildup on the bullets?

Thanks,

Josh

randyrat
02-27-2012, 08:00 AM
How to prevent excessive build up on bullets?
Dipping is the the best in this case
=Keep your bullet hot and less will stick to them. You have to experiment with the temp that works for the lube your using. Hotter- less lube will stick
Need more lube on them- lower the temp

Beeswax alone= Most of the time it has been mixed with something to soften and give it Stick...It may be the best Natural carrier but not the best alone as a lube.

Josh Smith
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks!

Used olive oil and am getting less fouling and, surprisingly, all the lead came out. Even the stuff that was stuck in there forever.

The lube ended up being too soft though, so I added more beeswax. Will try that tonight.

Got to thinking that all I'm really doing firing a bullet is high-speed soldering. Been playing with solder to find out what acts as a flux and what doesn't on steel.

Beeswax alone makes good flux!

I'm thinking I want something that has a high melting point and high O2 content to add to the beeswax.

Still trying to figure out what that might be, without going petroleum.

Thanks!

Josh

randyrat
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
10% Lanolin (high pressure natural lube) will soften along with the oil and give the "stick" you need. Just keep in mind, temperature changes things up.

.22-10-45
02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Hello, Joshua. The very first metalic ctgs. either rim fire or early center fire were 'heeled"..like our modern .22 rimfire..bullet dia. was same as case dia., with short undersized section inside case. Some of the early ones I have are covered with a sticky thick goo..beeswax base? probably..must be good stuff to reamin sticky after 100+ years! They look to be dipped. Others, like the .44 Henry have knurled cannulers..these could have been run thru lube/sizer at factory.
I have made up a batch of mutton tallow & beeswax..3 tallow to 1 B.W...haven't tried it yet..this was std. lube for S&W revolver ctgs. of 19th century.

Josh Smith
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks folks.

Any idea where to find lanolin? Was looking hard at some of my favorite stuff, Fluid Film, but it seems it has petroleum distillates in it. Not a lot, but some.

Josh

Horace
02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Check out post 4.
Horace

randyrat
02-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Yes I do..Check out the bottom of my signature line (post #4) Or at the bottom of this one, there is a link to Lanolin prices and shipping is there. If it were a snake it would have bit you, I had to say that sorry...

Josh Smith
02-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Haha! Thanks!

Josh

Dan Cash
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Canola added to Bees Wax provides a high flash point, high lubricity quality to a Bees wax lube. Pure Neatsfoot oil provides high lubricity across a wide temperature range and keeps the lube pliable down to at least +12F. Lanolin makes the stuff stick to the bullet. I find a mixture of 2 parts Bees Wax, 1 part Canola, 1 part Neatsfoot and sufficient lanolin to mke the stuff adhere. If you start with 2 pounds Bees wax, 1/4 cup of lanolin is about right. More won't hurt. This lube keeps black powder cartridge guns shooting with very soft fouling and also works well for me with smokeless loads to 2300fps.