PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W autoloader

45-120-550 Sharps
02-27-2012, 02:59 AM
For the past few months, just to see if it could be done practically, I have been drawing out a 500 S&W autoloading pistol.:D My question is: How many of you think this sounds interesting, awesome, crazy, or just plain dumb. Have a great day! 8-)

stubshaft
02-27-2012, 03:23 AM
From what I've seen at the range, most shooters can't take the recoil of the 50AE and you want to up the ante? There may be a niche market for it but very few autoloaders have been made for rimmed cartridges.

jdgabbard
02-27-2012, 03:33 AM
Autoloading pistol: I don't think there would be a large enough market to become productive.

Autoloading/lever rifle: I think it would probably take off and become fairly popular.

subsonic
02-27-2012, 07:27 AM
The same people that buy a Desert Eagle would have to have one of these.

The biggest problem I see is the size and location of the magazine. The DE grip is already too big. You'd have to make it like a broomhandle mauser.

btroj
02-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Yep, the magazine can't go in the grip. I don't think anyone alive today would have a hand big enough for a grip frame that size.

The market for something like that would benson small that the price would be thru the roof. Bet it would be hard to get a manufacturer to take it on.

subsonic
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
I think you should look at the KRISS Super-V pistol for inspiration.

429421Cowboy
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah i'm gonna tell you too not look for me to be saving my pennies anytime soon. I have zero interest for the S&W revolver to begin with, i'd much rather have a .460. The rifle idea may be something that would have a chance, along the lines of a Ruger carbine but i don't hold my breath for it happening. H&R took a leap with their single shot .500 and i would certainly like to get my hands on one of them to load for.

45-120-550 Sharps
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Yep, the magazine can't go in the grip. I don't think anyone alive today would have a hand big enough for a grip frame that size.

The market for something like that would benson small that the price would be thru the roof. Bet it would be hard to get a manufacturer to take it on.

Actually, the grip size (by my estimation), is not too bad (for large hands of course, not an Asian's or something :D). I made a grip mock-up out of a piece of wood.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee471/jim50sharps/DSC00381.jpg http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee471/jim50sharps/DSC00384.jpg

Who's this Guy ?
02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Hellical magazine might work like in the FNP90.

ebner glocken
02-29-2012, 08:37 PM
In the 5.7x28 those cartriges are coated for a reason. It isn't so they work well in a straight FiveSeven pistol. It's so they work in the P90 or PS90 magazine. I'm not so sure it's pratical to start spray coating .500 smith casings.

A hellical magazine like in the calicao carbine might work. It may just be a tad on the large side though.

Ebner

BAGTIC
02-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Just plain dumb.

ebner glocken
03-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Just plain dumb.

If a guy can make a .500 mag work in an autoloading handgun.....I would hardly call him "dumb". I might say he has more free time, skill, access to machine tool, and money than I.

If there was only a place where ideas could be extanged. Where brains could be picked free of charge. Does anyone know of such a place? Ahh, how about an internet forum...... I know, just a crazy dream. Just like that whole .44 automag that never planted a seed for more interesting useful things to follow.

Ebner

41 mag fan
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Just plain dumb.

That's your opinion....If the 600 Nitro wasn't so expensive I'd own one of them too.
They make it in an Autoloader I'd be looking to buy.

CrazyPhuD
03-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Lets put it this way, they don't even adapt the 500 S&W for the Ar-15 platform. Something that would be fairly well matched for the cartridge dimensions. They have a 'less lethal' 500 sized setup but not a full power version.

The main reasons being that the pressure of the round is so high that it would destroy many/most recoil operated mechanisms. Figuring how to keep the breech locked during operation will not be trivial and then you have to deal with the durability aspects of the autoloading task.

Unlike most rounds, this would not be one that I would experiment with if you don't have a fair bit of experience building new pistols. The risk of catastrophic failure is pretty high. Still if I were to do something like this I would probably take the step of an AR-15 500S&W conversion first and then if that worked well, look a building an autoloading pistol.

Even then I suspect the design is going to be complex. I doubt you will be able to effectively scale up a browning tilting breech locking mechanism to deal with this round. The concept is very cool, the engineering is likely to require quite a bit of work.

45-120-550 Sharps
03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Lets put it this way, they don't even adapt the 500 S&W for the Ar-15 platform. Something that would be fairly well matched for the cartridge dimensions. They have a 'less lethal' 500 sized setup but not a full power version.

The main reasons being that the pressure of the round is so high that it would destroy many/most recoil operated mechanisms. Figuring how to keep the breech locked during operation will not be trivial and then you have to deal with the durability aspects of the autoloading task.

Unlike most rounds, this would not be one that I would experiment with if you don't have a fair bit of experience building new pistols. The risk of catastrophic failure is pretty high. Still if I were to do something like this I would probably take the step of an AR-15 500S&W conversion first and then if that worked well, look a building an autoloading pistol.

Even then I suspect the design is going to be complex. I doubt you will be able to effectively scale up a browning tilting breech locking mechanism to deal with this round. The concept is very cool, the engineering is likely to require quite a bit of work.

I don't think that it would be possible to scale the Browning design up to work well with this size cartridge. The style of pistol I thought might work was one with a locking bolt, like the Desert Eagle. Also I believe one of the reasons that they don't make the AR-15 in the 500 S&W is because of the limits of the bolt face, not necessarily an issue with strength.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd say it would be very interesting, to say the least. Not sure of what you would use it for, but what the heck. Not sure the guys using it for defense in the woods would give up their revolvers. All about reliabilty.

All the power to you. You would need one helluva stout recoil spring!

The Ranger
03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
why not start with the .50 Beowulf instead of the 500S&W? the balistics and dimensions are about the same and it's an autoloader friendly, rimless round. (rebated rim infact)

45-120-550 Sharps
03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
why not start with the .50 Beowulf instead of the 500S&W? the balistics and dimensions are about the same and it's an autoloader friendly, rimless round. (rebated rim infact)

The only problem with the 50 Beowulf for this application is that it headspaces off the mouth, so it is hard to crimp properly. So with the recoil of any handgun chambered in this cartridge, the bullets will either pull, as in a revolver, or be pushed back into the case, like in an autoloader.

The Ranger
03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
of course your right. i forgot about that.

the recoil in an AR must still be considerable, and set-back must not be too much of an issue in that.

subsonic
03-04-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kriss-sdp45-acp.html

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/images/stories/sdp_image.png

The .500 s&w runs at the same or les pressure than a WSSM. ARs come in those calibers.

Pressure is not the issue, it's the bolt face. No room, hence all of the rebated cartridges.

This is possible, just not very practical if you want it for pistol purposes.

Might make a wicked PDW.

bobthenailer
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Im sure a auto loader in 50 S&W would be a very heavy gun alot heaver than the current Desert Eagle in 50 A&E , heck the 50 S&W revolver are overley heavy IMO . after putting on a scope you are about the same weight as some light weight rifles with a scope.

Porterhouse
03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I love 500S&W but have no desire or interest in autoloader. what I would like to see is revised Automag with 475 Linebaugh ballistics and from what I see, it's possible.