PDA

View Full Version : Looking for members to read and review my newest book

Recluse
02-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Disclaimer: I've written plenty of non-fiction (business-related) materials, articles, columns and even a couple of books collaborated with another biz-guy using pseudonymns, but this is the first full-length novel.

In summary, it is a novel about gun-owners and what the Second Amendment truly means to not just this nation, but our potential enemies. It is a novel for gun-owners written by a gun-owner.

My editor, retired from Doubleday, has finished with all of his catty remarks, and in a few weeks, we'll be zapping it off for formatting. First run, per my choice, is going to be as an e-book. I have lots of reasons for this, primary of which is to keep the publication affordable AND available. Ie, making the book available to be read since the subject matter is politically incorrect and smacks of Tea Party values.

You would not believe the incredible push-back, resistance and outright hostile feedback I have received from agents and trade publishers alike simply because it is about guns. One agent told me she was "looking for writers, not war-mongers."

The only member of this forum that has previously read the first-run, which has been revised several times since, is our owner and Mayor of Cast Boolits, Ken (45nut).

Here is the dust-jacket description:

Above Reproach

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

An exiled Iranian operating out of Damascus is taking aim at the one thing the United States holds most precious—her freedom. Launching a blitzkrieg of mass shootings in cities across the country, Muhannad Qasim knows the urban dwellers and the media will blame the Second Amendment for the carnage and then relentlessly pressure lawmakers to stifle Americans’ right to arm and defend themselves. If that happens, Qasim and his followers will have an open door to reshaping the entire United States government.

Qasim’s plan is working beautifully until one of his cells runs headlong into the wrong man.

Dillon Cole is a combat veteran and former U.S. Marshal who became a legend in the law enforcement community. After marrying, he hung up his guns and began a new career as a business executive, never looking back. But when he finds himself suddenly caught in the middle of a shooting inside a college student union in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Dillon fights back, killing three of the terrorists and saving untold lives.

His heroics ignite a nationwide firestorm of resistance to the ongoing attacks as well as the attacks on the Constitution. But as Americans begin to fight back, Dillon now finds himself in a fight for his own life as the terrorists will stop at nothing to kill him, including going after his wife and newly adopted daughter. No longer constrained by the rules of his former profession, Dillon Cole takes the fight to the attackers, turning the hunters into the hunted.

I'm looking for a dozen or two readers to read the book, in PDF form, and write me a small review. Those chosen will be included in marketing materials as well as published in the inside pages of the book itself.

If you're interested, please send me a PM and include your e-mail address.

Much appreciated.

:coffee:

Hamish
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
PM sent

Stick_man
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
PM sent. I am always looking for a good read.

Thanks

GRUMPA
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
With my prehistoric connection it wont be possible.

runfiverun
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
i got the cliff notes version [second hand] allready,from ken.[when he was here for a visit]
this is an actual book....
it's not a bunch of second ammendment rambling.
don't be scared...

starmac
02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Sounds interesting, let us know when it is on the market.

Catshooter
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
PM sent.

Cat

stubshaft
02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
PM sent

plmitch
02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
pm sent

redneckdan
02-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I am interested. I'm a pretty good writer...for an engineer...

SciFiJim
02-26-2012, 11:39 PM
PM sent. I would love to help!
Jim

Bullet Caster
02-27-2012, 12:21 AM
PM sent. I wish you only continued success in this endeavor. The dust jacket left me with wanting to know more about your subject, a subject near and dear to my heart as well as many here who read the words of some very provocative thinkers. Sometimes we have only our words upon which to rely to gather information and make decisions based on our precption of the real world. Keep up the good work, Recluse. You've certainly got my attention. BC

jdgabbard
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Sending PM now. Looking forward to what you produce.

Moonie
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
pm sent Recluse.

lbaize3
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
PM sent.

Lee
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
PM sent

BD
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
PM sent

jpatm2
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
PM sent

geargnasher
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Looks like you have plenty of takers, and I have too many projects, I'll wait for the final version which I'm sure will be excellent.

I get stuck in mental ruts while working, lately I've been thinking about this very subject, the thing few people ever consider even after the attacks of 9/11: Why the US has never been invaded by any army openly. The supposed quote from Admiral Yamamoto (true or not)pegged it in that there would be a rifleman behind every blade of grass. Because Americans own guns, vehicles, tools, and all the things we are free to learn about because we are, well, FREE (mostly), we really are an army of the people, albeit a very much weakening one. An invader would not only have to contend with our military, and our local lawmen, but with the entire gun owning population. The only way to defeat the United States is to erode it from within.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
PM sent.

ErikO
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
PM Sent.

cbrick
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
PM sent.

Rick

Blacksmith
02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I get stuck in mental ruts while working, lately I've been thinking about this very subject, the thing few people ever consider even after the attacks of 9/11: Why the US has never been invaded by any army openly. The supposed quote from Admiral Yamamoto (true or not)pegged it in that there would be a rifleman behind every blade of grass. Because Americans own guns, vehicles, tools, and all the things we are free to learn about because we are, well, FREE (mostly), we really are an army of the people, albeit a very much weakening one. An invader would not only have to contend with our military, and our local lawmen, but with the entire gun owning population. The only way to defeat the United States is to erode it from within.

Gear

Gear I was just thinking about that. What started me was the statement that CMP sold 4,000 cases of .22 LR in three days, that's 20,000,000 rounds. Now just how many rounds of .22 do you suspose are in private hands? My guess is the people that bought that ammo probably have that much in storage already plus a lot more people would have bought it if it hadn't run out; add to that how much Wallmart, Midway, Cabella's and everyone else is selling all the time. Yes it gets shot up but that is replaced. Now think about how many non shooting homes have a box or two or the casual shooter with a partial brick or two and it adds up to a lot of ammo.

Add all the centerfire rifle and pistol plus all the components that are waiting to be used and this country could and would shoot a lot of invaders before it was taken.

waksupi
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
JD, I made the mistake of starting to read this at about 10PM. Finally forced myself to bed around 2 AM. It's a page turner so far!

troy_mclure
02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
sounds like a perfect book for baen publishing.

twotoescharlie
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
been reading a couple of chapters at a time, (had eyes examined monday and
have cataracs) it has been a good read so far, face paced and easy to read. looking foward to the rest of it. will follow up later. regards,

TTC

stubshaft
02-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Excellent read! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

MT Gianni
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
I enjoyed it also, Thanks, JD.

firefly1957
02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Good luck some years ago I ordered a book from a writer that had to self publish because no one wanted to print his book it was titled "JET STREAM" the author was R.L. Muehlberg A search shows he is still printing. I was quite surprised I went to the closet were I though the book was boxed up and it was on the floor next to the box.

StratsMan
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
PM sent...

lbaize3
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Started it yesterday evening and had to quit at page 165. Dogone eye lids were slapping my lower lip. Fixing to start it again today. Excellent read!

longranger
03-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Have not been able to put it down.

Stick_man
03-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Excellent read so far. Got through the first 60 pages or so before I could no longer ignore mother nature. Then back at it for a couple more hours before I had to force myself to put it down to get some sleep (had to be able to get up for work in the morning). I expect I'll probably be done witht he book over the weekend.

First impression was it was written a lot like the books from my favorite author, Tom Clancey.

SciFiJim
03-02-2012, 04:50 AM
I just finished it. For a review, how about this:

An exciting read, a real page turner. Action, international intrigue, and some US Senators get yelled at! Comfort food for 2A supporters!

mktacop
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
PM Sent

Stick_man
03-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Just finished the book. Excellent read! Probably the most difficult book to put down I have read in many many years. I'll be watching for it to hit the shelves. It is definitely one I will buy.

Sending ya a PM.

Blacksmith
03-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Quotes like this sell books. In todays fast paced world people want something that can hold their attention. You will need some others with more details but feature these to grab the reader.

I made the mistake of starting to read this at about 10PM. Finally forced myself to bed around 2 AM. It's a page turner .....

Started it yesterday evening and had to quit at page 165. Dogone eye lids were slapping my lower lip. Fixing to start it again today. Excellent read!

Got through the first 60 pages or so before I could no longer ignore mother nature. Then back at it for a couple more hours before I had to force myself to put it down to get some sleep (had to be able to get up for work in the morning).

Excellent read! Probably the most difficult book to put down I have read in many many years.

Bullet Caster
03-04-2012, 01:47 AM
I've finished Recluse's Beyond Reproach and found it to be a very good read. A very poignant storyline and attention grabber. What's not to like? Aviation, guns, politics, terrorists and heroes are all in our nation's news and at the forefront. BC

Tom Myers
03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I am an avid reader and discovering new, interesting reading material is becoming increasingly difficult.

PM Sent.