PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Marlin Rifling Issue and Warranty Question

H110
02-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Shot my Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt yesterday. Came home to clean it and found some of the rifling missing, shot it out I guess. When looking at the muzzle from the end, back about 1/4" it's gone, left, see ya, broken out just about flush. Have shot about 100 rounds through it since new and only use cast.

Anyone heard of this? Had any experience with Marlin's warranty? I read somewhere that shooting cast voids the warranty, that would be just dandy. I have had the rifle about 10 months.

I guess you could cut a 1/4" off the barrel then re-crown if you wanted, thought's.

H110

Lefty SRH
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I would definately be contacting Marlin!

Tom-ADC
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I would definately be contacting Marlin!

+1 they'll make it right. How old is the rifle?

H110
02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I purchased it approx. 10 months ago.

Freischütz
02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Many interesting problems have appeared since Marlin moved in with Remington.

runfiverun
02-26-2012, 04:19 PM
remington has quit making the revolver caliber [marlin] leverguns.
i'd call them, winchester and remington and federal etc,,, make cast loads for the 45 colt..

Boerrancher
02-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I would contact Marlin right away. It will be interesting to see how their customer service is now. Please keep us updated as to what they tell you. This could be a make it or break it moment for Marlin. Depending on how you are dealt with will determine if I ever buy a Marlin in the future, as I am sure it will also with several other fence sitters who are taking the wait and see how things go with Remington approach.

Best wishes,

Joe

Gtek
02-26-2012, 07:45 PM
If they were RELOADS I would DENY that one! They probably are looking for excuses. Gtek

H110
02-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Good point!!!

I will update after I call them.

H110

leftiye
02-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Numrich has a 20" round .45 colt barrel for your Marlin for about $65.00 plus shipping etc..

eljefe
02-27-2012, 07:33 AM
I just sent a Marlin back for a customer. It was
new, and they didn't even ask about what kind
of ammo was used when the problems developed.

It didn't lose it's rifling, but had other problems.
It also came in with the front sight incorrectly
installed in the dovetail.

In any event, I can not begin to think how
any projectile would cause a correctly manufactured
barrel to lose any rifling.

When you call it in, demand a call tag, and give
them just enough info to get it back in their hands.
I am certain they will make it right for you.

Ziptar
02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Numrich has a 20" round .45 colt barrel for your Marlin for about $65.00 plus shipping etc..

Got a link? the only ones I see there are $119.75.
Thanks.

45/70fan
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
If you were shooting cast bullets I would be more inclined to say that your rifling has been leaded, the grooves are full of lead and will appear that the rifling is gone.

H110
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
No, No, No, 40/70fan, trust me the rifling has broken loose and it's only one. No lead!

H-110

H110
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Update! I spoke with a representative at Marlin/Remington. I was asked a few questions such as, what's the problem, then was sent an email with packing slip and shipping label provided. I was told to wait a few days as I would receive an additional email with packaging instructions. I was also informed that due to the nature of the problem, the rifle would have to go to the manufacturing facility instead of one of the certified repair shops. I was also Informed to include a copy of the purchase receipt and that it would take about three weeks for repair due to the fact they will be closed next week.

I will keep you informed!

H110

leftiye
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Ah likes yer avatar! Maybe I'll change my call sign to "Festus."

GARCIA
02-28-2012, 06:20 AM
H110:

Actually had the same problem last year with the one I bought.
Bought it sight unseen from the Cabelas in LA.
When it got to my dealer and I was able to inspect it, it was noticed.
Got on the phone and ended up getting a return label.
Month later it came back with a new barrel.

Tom

Boerrancher
02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
In 17 posts there are 3 of them from 3 different people who have purchased new Marlins and they have been messed up in some way. This does not bode well for Marlin and their QA/QC policies, and insures that I will not be buying a Remington made Marlin, period. Maybe in 5 or 10 years if/when they get their act together and prove that they can consistently produce quality firearms, I will consider them again. I gave up on Winchester in the late 80's because they were producing junk, I told S&W to stuff it when they started only selling to LEO's, as did a lot of people and they went belly up. I truly believe we should buy American, until the American product becomes inferior in quality and workmanship, especially when it comes to a tool that my life may well depend on.

Best wishes,

Joe

Ed in North Texas
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
In 17 posts there are 3 of them from 3 different people who have purchased new Marlins and they have been messed up in some way. This does not bode well for Marlin and their QA/QC policies, and insures that I will not be buying a Remington made Marlin, period. Maybe in 5 or 10 years if/when they get their act together and prove that they can consistently produce quality firearms, I will consider them again. I gave up on Winchester in the late 80's because they were producing junk, I told S&W to stuff it when they started only selling to LEO's, as did a lot of people and they went belly up. I truly believe we should buy American, until the American product becomes inferior in quality and workmanship, especially when it comes to a tool that my life may well depend on.

Best wishes,

Joe

I don't blame you for that. But I recall reading that some of these barrel (and other) problems were occurring with CT produced rifles. So we might ask whether these rifles are Remington NY production, or Marlin CT production and still in the supply chain.

I've read that no pistol caliber rifles have been produced at Ilion. And that no lever action rifles have been produced. And that pistol caliber production has been stopped. And that the 336 is being produced. In other words, I've yet to read something direct from Remington and/or reliable about what is going on with Marlin production. Remington is killing themselves with the lack of accurate information. Their PR flacks should know that speculation is never good for a company. But what do I know.

Ed

HollowPoint
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Here's a different take from someone who doesn't own any Marlin firearms.

When ever there's a management or ownership change; like Remington taking over Marlin; there's always a period of time when the moral of the workers can go into a period of "Limbo." (fear of layoffs, pay cuts and general uncertainty)

During the transition period, quality control can become weak to non-existent in certain areas of a production run. If it's not corrected then all the negative things that have been mentioned here already may eventually bring about the downfall of another wise popular firearms manufacture.

Even if it is corrected there will still be a whole lot of Marlin firearms being sold with enough flaws to make their reputation suffer for some time to come. The majority of these possibly flawed firearms that were manufactured during this "Transitions" period will still make there way into the hands of the end users.

Any catastrophic failures of any of these "Transition-Period" guns will just amplify the problems.

HollowPoint

Ed in North Texas
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Here's a different take from someone who doesn't own any Marlin firearms.

When ever there's a management or ownership change; like Remington taking over Marlin; there's always a period of time when the moral of the workers can go into a period of "Limbo." (fear of layoffs, pay cuts and general uncertainty)

snip

HollowPoint

Perhaps moreso since Remington moved the company from CT to NY. I think I recollect that the Marlin employees were offered jobs if they moved, but I could be mistaken on that. In the event, the vast majority of Marlin CT employees were out of a job. I'm sure the employees knew that Marlin had problems even before the purchase.

Ed

giz189
03-01-2012, 01:00 AM

Best wishes,

JoeWhen and what did S&W sell only to LEO's. Have not heard that before, but also have not been able to purchase anything new lately either.

Boerrancher
03-01-2012, 07:26 AM
When and what did S&W sell only to LEO's. Have not heard that before, but also have not been able to purchase anything new lately either.

Back in the mid 90's S&W decided that they would go all PC and cow tow to the Clinton crowd, and only sell to LEO's and Departments. If you wanted to purchase a new Smith your dealer would have to submit a request to the distributor along with an official LE Dept letter head request for the gun. The dist. would then submit it to S&W who would fill the request. There were two problems with their plan. First, there were too many departments at that time changing to High Capacity Autos, which Smith didn't make then, and secondly they had already had a few QA/QC issues and not many people wanted them to begin with. It only took a couple years before they were bankrupt, and not producing guns anymore. Then a few years back Walther bought the rights to the name and logo. Walther had been wanting a company that they could use as a proving ground so to speak for some of their newer designs. The brought back many of the popular Smith wheel guns, along with the quality and reputation that Smith use to have. The only problem is that they are a smaller operation now and not producing as many guns, but I was told by a S&W factory rep at a gun show a year or so ago, that they were working on expanding to be able to keep up with the demand.

Best wishes,

Joe

H110
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Update!!

Got home today and on my front porch lay my Marlin 45 colt with brand new barrel installed. Only cost to me was a trip to UPS.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Marlin did what they should, just wanted to fill you guy's in.

Cheers, H110

TXGunNut
04-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Where's the range report? :kidding:
Thanks for the update, I still have high hopes for the new company and your update is encouraging.