PDA

View Full Version : amerimax 68104 heads up

arjacobson
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Just a heads up guys. I am on my 3rd roll of amerimax 68104. The first two rolls were perfect. This roll has been nothing but trouble. It looks like some annealing is in order. I know a few of you guys have come across this but this is my first real problem. Cutting rings-stuck checks-etcetcetc. At first I thought it was my new check die but that works flawlessly with some older material I still had left. Seems their quality control is a bit on the liberal side. I guess it wouldn't be a real problem if I was using it as flashing like intended:drinks:

arjacobson
02-26-2012, 06:39 PM
well it looks like I got a mislabeled batch of .016. Gonna look like an idiot going into the store with a mic....

lead chucker
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
You are not alone. I've been there done that. I was at the local lumber yard a while back with mic in hand and trying to feel how flexible the stuff was.

Sonnypie
02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
well it looks like I got a mislabeled batch of .016. Gonna look like an idiot going into the store with a mic....

Not at all.
Now one time I ran down to my local Lowe's in my shop apron and tape measure hanging on my pocket.
As I got deeper into the store folks were staring and stepping back as I strode to the wood rack I needed, leaving saw dust in my wake.
I'd forgotten it was Sunday and all the gerbils were out of church and looking bewildered trying to figure out what they needed for home.
I hate weekends at the big box stores. Everything is jumbled from the weekend warriors who can't pick something up and put it back where they got it from.

I have no qualms about pulling out a tape measure, square, or a micrometer at a store. If the gerbils had any tools beyond a hammer and a bent screwdriver, they'd bring what they needed to the store, too.
You'd be surprised by how many times folks will ask for help.

Have you tried annealing some of that over sized Amerimax? Soften it up and it might work fine.

Dan Cash
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Sonnypie, "I'd forgotten it was Sunday and all the gerbils were out of church and looking bewildered trying to figure out what they needed for home".

You might retihink this expression. My skin is thick as elephant hide but you have prickled me a bit. To Mass I do go but a Gerbil I am not.

HARRYMPOPE
02-26-2012, 11:08 PM
"Norwesco" brand has the same batch variations

Hamish
02-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Dan, unless I have misunderstood, "Gerbils" refers to the clueless horde of the not so do it yourselfers, not church goers per se. I know *exactly* what Sonnypie is talking about, and wading through the box on the weekend is like running the zombieland gauntlet.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
that's why I trade donuts and a pound of coffee for lithograph sheets from my local newspaper.

It has not varied .0005" since I started some twenty-odd years ago.

Rich

HARRYMPOPE
02-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Litho plate is too thin for most GC's i have found.But it sure is uniform.

George

Sonnypie
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Hamish has it.

Wear your buffalo chip well. :drinks:

pistolman44
02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Where else can you buy lithograph sheets other than a local newspaper office? I got a 45PB GC maker coming from pat. I cut a few soda cans open to use and this isn't any fun, rather a pain. I would like to find some sheets in .005" - .007" to buy. Most of the roll of alum flashing is usally .009" on up.

arjacobson
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
I have some litho plate I don't use. I think it is around .006-.007? I will check it out if interested.. BTW I picked up another roll tonight and we are back in action! This was properly labeled:bigsmyl2:

pistolman44
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
This also happened to me, bought a roll of Amerimax was supposed to be .014" and it turned out to be .016.5" from Ace. Called to complain about it and they told me I can't ruturn it.

Sonnypie
02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Where else can you buy lithograph sheets other than a local newspaper office? I got a 45PB GC maker coming from pat. I cut a few soda cans open to use and this isn't any fun, rather a pain. I would like to find some sheets in .005" - .007" to buy. Most of the roll of alum flashing is usally .009" on up.

You could PM Yonky (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=21653).
Once you know the width needed...
PM doesn't know the width. So when you get your tool, let Yonky (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=21653) know what you need.

ubetcha
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM

I have heard that either Miller Lite or Bud Light beer cans that are shaped like a beer bottle are thicker aluminum

Sagebrush7
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Pm me, I will buy that useless .016 aluminum. Nasty stuff!

arjacobson
03-26-2012, 08:34 PM
sagebrush-Might just do that BUT they are cut into about 10-12" long pcs.. Still interested?

Sagebrush7
03-26-2012, 11:40 PM
How wide?