View Full Version : Turkey Commission convert to 8x57js

DonMountain
02-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a GEW 88 Commission Rifle that was converted to stripper loaded 8x57JS mauser with a date of 1938 and a Turkey crest and markings. I acquired the rifle maybe 25 years ago in "like new" or armory rebuilt condition. And now since I have been enjoying casting and shooting boolits in most of my other milspec rifles, I thought I would set up to reload for this one. I like to use heavier, gas checked bullets for longer range target shooting and hunting deer at the higher velocities. Does anyone have some suggestions for bullet molds and loadings for this rifle?

Gtek
02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I would fire a couple of whatever to measure necks. Push dead soft an inch forward of chamber then back out. Then push one all the way through. Now you have all dimensions you require to make a educated run at mold. Boolit fit is King, the rest is the easy part. Gtek
Backtrack-After typing in and leaving thought hit, No full house 8x57 in 88. I would pull 5 bullets and download for fire form. Please be safe.

frnkeore
02-27-2012, 01:28 AM
I would suggest a 323470 Lyman as a "starter" bullet. It's only about 160 gr but, they still make it or the Lee 175 gr.

The heavier bullets won't come around very often but, NOE runs a copy of the 323471 at times and I think one other heavy.

Being that your rifle is a late Turk, the groove should be in the .323 range but, you will still have to slug it for bullet fit.

You should be able to shoot any reasonable cast bullet load in it w/o worry. As a guild to cast loads, you can use any 30-06 cast load with the same weight bullet.

Frank

Aloxite
02-27-2012, 07:12 AM
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=LEAD+BULLET+CASTING&dept3=SPECIAL+ORDER+MOULDS&sortItem=Newest

Midsouth has the 8mm karabiner and 8mm maximum lee molds.

BudRow
02-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Do be sure the bolt has the bolt head. Not trying to be smart here, just safe.

DonMountain
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
What is the configuration of the Lee 8MM Karabiner? Is it a gas checked bullet? I prefer gas checked heavy boolits for higher velocities for deer hunting. I tried finding it on the Lee site but couldn't find any information after doing a search for it. Only listed in the 8mm boolits was a 205 grain. I am going to try firing a light j bullet with a light powder charge to see if the rifle even has a firing pin in it. The rifle itself looks clean with all the parts there. And a new 8mm Mauser brass fits a little snug when closing the bolt on it. I might just put a primer in a case and fire that.

leadman
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Click on the link Aloxite supplied to Midsouth. These are special order Lee molds that Midsouth sells.
I have an older single cavity for the Karabiner 238gr and the Lyman 160gr Loverin style mold. Both shoot well with the accuracy edge going to the Lyman. Your gun may shoot them differently.

Buckshot
02-28-2012, 03:35 AM
............Don, does your M88/35 Turk look like this?

http://www.fototime.com/CDBFBF007F1D86B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/6CF8A6276D674E3/standard.jpg

If so it will have been re-barreled with a .323 barrel, but slugging it will let you know exactly what you have. Mine slugs .312" x .323" with a .325" throat. It shoots the Lee C324 - 175 very well.

http://www.fototime.com/982F406A87D7DAC/standard.jpg

Several years back I ran a custom group buy through Lee for the above slug. It runs 236 - 240grs depending upon alloy. A load I ran across was so accurate with it I used it on occassion for our weekly 50 yard offhand Cast Boolit match, and it was no piker :-). I used 54.5 grs of TCCI 5010 ball for 1950 fps.

..............Buckshot

DonMountain
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes, that is exactly what I have. It has the welded or soldered on stripper clip guides and the flat plate on the end of the bolt and snap on cover on the bottom of the magazine to cover the origional clip slot. Thanks very much for the information to get me started. I will try to figure out how to slug the bore now and look forward to any information you all might have on additional molds and loads for this rifle. I wonder how strong the action might be and if I need to keep the loads way down? But if I can buy a mold for cast boolits that will keep the pressures down.

frnkeore
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
They are strong enough for the Turks to put millions of 48,000 cip rounds through them. I don't advacate high pressure ammo but, I do advacate any published cast bullet load in them. Especially the Mod 35/38 with the larger exterior barrel conture and .323 bores. All 88's are stronger than Krags.

Study loading data, know the powders that work and stay within the cast bullet boundery's and you'll be just fine.

Frank

Buckshot
02-29-2012, 01:57 AM
.................DonMountain, yup pretty much as frnkeore said. Any of the generic "Old Battle Rifle" type loads should work well. After you slug the barrel you'll know what you've got and how to deal with it.

A few Powder suggestions to work with cast:

10.0 Unique, Red Dot
16.0 - 18.0 2400
18.0 - 22.0 4227/SR4759
21.0 - .24.0 4198

..............Buckshot

DonMountain
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
I appreciate all of the info for the loads, plus all the other information from everybody. On my other surplus rifles they all seem to shoot my "standard" load of 25.0 grains of IMR-4198 pretty well. So I will start with these suggestions and work for accuracy. I recently bought a pound of SR-4759 that I want to try out. Keep the suggestions coming please! I am trying to get standard velocities that I can sight in for deer hunting with all of my rifles. Or longer range target shooting. So haven't tried any of the real light loads of Unique. Although I use a lot of it in my handgun loads. Maybe I should give it a try too. And get out my ancient chronograph that I haven't used in 15 years.

DonMountain
02-29-2012, 10:06 AM
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=LEAD+BULLET+CASTING&dept3=SPECIAL+ORDER+MOULDS&sortItem=Newest

Does anybody have an opinion on which of these boolit molds would be best for long range target and deer hunting at higher speeds? Are they both gas checked boolits?

Buckshot
03-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Aloxite
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ortItem=Newest

Does anybody have an opinion on which of these boolit molds would be best for long range target and deer hunting at higher speeds? Are they both gas checked boolits?

...........I have neither design. You should be able to do a search and come up with some useable info. They were designed for all the Russian capture K98's coming back into the States at the time. Shoot 45 2.1 a PM as I believe he can help.

...............Buckshot

blpenn66502
03-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Both the 8mm karabiner and 8mm maximum are gas checked. They run heavier than advertised - IIRC about 235gr and 250gr with WWs when I cast some up about a year ago.

DonMountain
03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I ordered a Lee karabiner bullet mold and bought some 8mm gas checks. So I can start experimenting with it this week I hope. I loaded up a couple of much reduced loads with some old j bullets I have to see if it shoots ok. And I loaded a primer in an empty casing and it fired just fine. Now I need to slug the bore and order a sizer die so I can lube and set the gas checks and size it properly. And see if the experimental j-bullet loads shoot.

DonMountain
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Got my Lee Karibiner mold in the mail today from Midsouth. Now I need to get an evening free to go out to the casting shop and try it out. Then size and lube and develop some loads from those recommended. Got my gas checks too.

DonMountain
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I finally got some time in the casting shop today and tried my new LEE Karibiner 8mm mold. It took awhile to get it casting right and I finally cast up about 100 or so by the time I had to quit. So now I need some time to get to the RCBS sizer and size and gas check the boolits, and then reload. So I am on the verge of loading up some rounds with suggested loads for the 8mm Mauser antique 88 GEW Turkeyed rifle. Any more suggestions for loads for this rifle are appreciated?

wellfedirishman
03-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Don,

If you want a nice light load try any standard 8mm cast bullet with 13-14 grains of Trailboss. It shoots great for me, low recoil, and no leading.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=141735

I have not used any 'full power' loads in my Gew 88, I prefer the plinker loads.

DonMountain
03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Can anyone suggest a Lyman or RCBS top punch for sizing/lubricating the LEE 8mm Karibiner boolit in my RCBS lubricator?