PDA

View Full Version : Price and Vintage of TC Hawken

BudRow
02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
The gun shop has a nice little used Thompson Center 50 cal. Hawken. There is a serial number on the barrel. Can the year of production be determined from the serial number? Is there a way of telling if this gun was produced during the"Good Period" of the company's exsistance? What to look for that would be key in determining this? It is in great shape with nice wood (One or two sm. dings) and very good blue. Bore appears to be very good. The price is $300 plus 6% tax ($18). Is this ballpark? TIA, BudRow

Themoose
02-26-2012, 09:26 AM
BudRow,

I can't help you on the year, but the value is a little high...The value of caplocks fell when the inlines flooded the market... I'd check out a gunshow in your area or keep an eye on the paper... I've bought a couple of TC's for under $200 that were in good shape.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
i think $300. is a good price for a T/C hawken if it looks like you said
what do you mean bad period ? i have never had a bad gun or a barrel
that would not shoot from T/C

BudRow
02-26-2012, 10:26 AM
I think I read somewhere that the quality is not what it once was due to the company being bought by other outfit?

Boerrancher
02-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Budrow, To me the price is a bit high. I to was thinking somewhere in the $200 range. I just traded two stone arrowheads I made, that I would normally charge $25 a piece for, for a very nice TC Hawken 50 cal. I had to unload it, and get a *** ignition system out of it and put a nipple in it. The bore and breech were in good shape, and it shoots quite well. At a gun shop in a near by town I passed on a TC 54 cal, for $150. The bore looked nice and clean, and was smooth when I ran a patch down it, but the outside of it was a bit rough for my taste. It looked as if the barrel, and lock had been left in the white and then allowed to lightly rust, and the finish on the stock looked like it had been done by a monkey. I am sure it was someones attempt at a rust blue, but it was poorly done.

If you want the rifle, go in and offer them $200 for it. They may take it or may counter offer for $250. It depends on how badly you want it. Also not knowing what part of the country you are from, the traditional MLs may be bringing more in your area, esp if you live in a state that is not inline friendly with their game laws. If that is the case, and muzzleloading season requires exposed ignition systems and leans toward a more traditional view of the muzzleloader then you could very well be getting a good deal on that rifle at $300. Take all the info you can gather about ML rules for hunting and try to find other cap locks and see how they are priced, and then you can make an informed decision on whether it is a good buy or not.

Best wishes,

Joe

LUCKYDAWG13
02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
they were bought out by S&W 2 years ago

Boerrancher
02-26-2012, 10:56 AM
they were bought out by S&W 2 years ago

Who was bought out by Walther several years before that. I noticed a drastic improvement in S&W's quality after they went belly up and were subsequently bought out by Walther.

Best wishes,

Joe

10 ga
02-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Dittos " " on the 3C being a bit high for a factory made, used, sidehammer, ordinary, .50 cal ML. I've seen some nice ones, TCs, Lyman, Cabellas, at the gun shows in the $100 to $200 range. Only real special stuff in the $300 range. 10 ga

mooman76
02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
It really depends on your area you are in. Some say they see them all day long for $200. Here you only see some of the cheaper and not so well taken care of MLs for under $200 and the better ones around $300.

BudRow
02-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I live in N/W Pennsylvannia so I'll shop around some more as I am in no hurry. I had a custom built Kentucky rifle made for me back in 1974. It's got a WM Large Barrel, JJJJ Ranch and has the "L" designation (Competition Grade). 45 cal. 1:56 twist. Small Siler flintlock & nice curly maple stock. I also have a companion flint pistol to go with it and it has a Siler lock. The striped wood on these guns take on an almost iridescent look with changes of light or point of view. Sort of a 3D effect. Thanks All for your input, Bud

Themoose
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
BudRow,

If you can make it to a big gun show like Harrisburg or Pittsburg, obviously look at the dealer tables, but pay more attention to people walking around(with muzzleloaders for sale)... dealers will only offer them a really low ball price and you can probably get one at a fair price from the original owner.

TheMoose

02-26-2012, 06:55 PM
I'dexpect to pay no more than $150 for that rifle here in MI.

Just bought a tc New Englander for $40; saw a Cherokee for $200 5-6 months ago.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I'dexpect to pay no more than $150 for that rifle here in MI.

Just bought a tc New Englander for $4; saw a Cherokee for $200 5-6 months ago.

a new new englander $40. pleas tell me it was not a 12ga

MT Gianni
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
A New Englander here would have $240 on it with the 50 cal bbl only. Ask about a 12 gauge bbl and you get a blank look.
I think the TC's had a better bbl without the QLA or Quick Load counter bore they put in the muzzle.

2shot
02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
And how much for a New Englander in .54 cal ?

Geraldo
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Although I hear the stories of $100-150 TCs, I can never find them.

If it's in near perfect shape, $300 is reasonable based on what they're going for online. I've paid more, but for custom shop or other custom barrels and stuff thrown in.

As for dating it, my 25th Anniversary TC was made in 1995 and has a low 500,000 SN and a QLA muzzle. If it's a 4 digit SN it's a 1970s gun, and if it has a pronounced hook at the front of the comb it's an early stock. Barrel markings are inconsistent and won't help you date it at all.

Regardless of age, they're all good rifles. I'd make them an offer and see what they'll do.

02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
a new new englander $40. pleas tell me it was not a 12ga

Don't I wish. It's a .54. I think the guy had shot it 4-5 times >ten years ago but was afraid of it. I might have paid $50 had it been a .12 ga.

Traditional stuff fell in price drastically when in-line rifles became available. Dang near impossible to find traditional rifle accessories in brick & mortar stores here.

Boerrancher
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Dang near impossible to find traditional rifle accessories in brick & mortar stores here.

Tell me about it. There are two gun shops in the nearest town, and it is very rare that they even have the basics like caps and flints. Last month I bought the last tin of No 11's in town. I am going to need to order some replacement nipples, I guess I will be using TOTW or midsouth shooter to get my stuff. Up until a few years ago there was a traditional ML shop on the outskirts of town. It finally closed when the old man who owned it died. He had a 60 yard range and it was nothing to find a half dozen or more folks, all in their late 60's through 90's, hanging out there and shooting on the weekends. I learned a lot from those folks, wish there was still a place like that to go. Gerry had everything in his shop you could ever need for a traditional ML. It wasn't about money for him, it was about the love of the holy black and the guns that used it.

Best wishes,

Joe

giz189
02-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Look in Midway catalogue #34 on page 302. 50 cal perc. $779.99 new. $300 may not be to bad in good shape.

Boerrancher
02-29-2012, 12:51 AM
I have noticed that most used MLs that I have seen sitting in gun and pawn shops tend to be in rough shape inside, out side or both. It is just like the 50 cal TC hawken I traded for a week ago, there was a better than not chance when I got it the bore would be ruined. I got lucky and it wasn't. It was spotless on the out side but was left fired with a charge still in it. Not a good combination for having a clean bore. If you have the money and want the gun as long as it has a clean bore on it, get it. Just make sure you check out the bore very closely. I would run a tight patch with a bit of wd40 on it down it and see if it comes out rusty or not. A slight tint is not a bad thing but if you can feel it grabbing the patch on the way down or coming back out it has some pits in it.

I am very pleased with the accuracy of my TC Hawken with PRBs. 70 grs of 2F behind a 495 ball and .012 patch and at 60 yards I can destroy a soda can in about 5 shots. I would not hesitate to bust a deer with it. In fact this coming fall I will shoot a deer with it. If it is like the rest of the TC Hawken rifles I have shot over the years it will be a shooter.

best wishes,

Joe

GabbyM
02-29-2012, 05:05 AM
I've a 45 caliber TC Hawkins you'd not buy for $300 and it's all beat to poo.

03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Same experiences with TC. Made for and indeed do, last a lifetime.

Have had several; all good shooters

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
The gun shop has a nice little used Thompson Center 50 cal. Hawken. There is a serial number on the barrel. Can the year of production be determined from the serial number? Is there a way of telling if this gun was produced during the"Good Period" of the company's exsistance? What to look for that would be key in determining this? It is in great shape with nice wood (One or two sm. dings) and very good blue. Bore appears to be very good. The price is $300 plus 6% tax ($18). Is this ballpark? TIA, BudRow

If they'll let you, run a lubed patch down the bore, if it ain't rusty,
I'd offer $250...but would pay the $300 if I had to going by your discription.

it the bore is pitted...LEAVE IT THERE.
Jon

x101airborne
03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I would take a chance. My 54 cal was slightly rusted when I got it and had a broken stock and most of the bluing was gone from it. I paid less than 300 for it, but loved shooting it so much that I just recently bought a "trade gun" Pedersoli flint lock for use on squirrels and close hogs. Black powder is an addiction to me that I am just getting into. But when hogs are on the menu, I will be excited to take one with my 54, then my 62 trade gun. I mean really, how cool is that? The Holy Black is right!

izzyjoe
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
the pawn shops in my area used to have a bunch of ML's, but now you hardly see one at all. most of them have stoped taking them in, because they are hard to sell. a freind of mine had a pawnshop, and he quit messing with them cause he could'nt see down the bore. and half the time they were left loaded. if it's in good shape, and the bore is clean, no rust, offer $200 and go up if you have to.

waksupi
03-02-2012, 02:20 AM
I would take a chance. My 54 cal was slightly rusted when I got it and had a broken stock and most of the bluing was gone from it. I paid less than 300 for it, but loved shooting it so much that I just recently bought a "trade gun" Pedersoli flint lock for use on squirrels and close hogs. Black powder is an addiction to me that I am just getting into. But when hogs are on the menu, I will be excited to take one with my 54, then my 62 trade gun. I mean really, how cool is that? The Holy Black is right!

Come over to the Dark Side. We have cookies!

gandydancer
03-02-2012, 02:39 AM
about $250.00 around here OTD in good cond. if its a hawken style.

Boerrancher
03-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Come over to the Dark Side. We have cookies!

They may be grease cookies that you use in your load, but they are still cookies. :drinks:

Best wishes,

Joe

ejh69
03-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Here in mid Mo, I just purchased a TC New Englander at an estate auction for $160.00 this past week end. I was pleased for a gun in nice shape, however I waited hours for it to come up for sale. There was several CVA's that sold for $100.00 and $110.00 but they were rough.

Fly
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree $300 is a bit high.No more than $200 here in Okla.

Fly

03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
If it has a "K" serial number, it's a kit gun and demands a smaller price. Bottom line, if you want it, buy it. Work your best price and don't be afraid to walk away if it's not exactly what you want.

waksupi
03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
If it has a "K" serial number, it's a kit gun and demands a smaller price.

That would depend on how well it was assembled.

Boerrancher
03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree with Waksupi. I have seen some kit guns that were comparable to some of the best custom guns ever made, on the flip side of that I have seen some that looked like the Lock and barrel had been hacked into a rail road tie. I know the TC Hawken I have was a kit gun, and who ever built it did a good job on wood to metal fit, and keeping the lines looking right. My only complaint is they could have put a couple more coats of finish on the stock. One of these days if I decide to keep the gun I will strip the stock and give it a good hand rubbed True Oil finsh.

Best wishes,

Joe

greenmntranger
03-04-2012, 02:09 PM
As others have said, it really depends on region and the circles you run in. To the casual hunter, the wiz bang inline that you scope, drop a couple pellets down and stuff a powerbelt on top of and shoot 1 or 2 times a year will suffice.

To the RIFLEMAN, concerned more with tradition, form, and the ART of load development, a sidelock is the ONLY way to go.

That said, you dont see NIB tradional ML going for under 500.00 so 250.00 to 300.00 or more for a well cared for or pristine gun is not out of the question and buyers ARE out there

tdperry
03-18-2012, 08:43 PM
If it has a "K" serial number, it's a kit gun and demands a smaller price. Bottom line, if you want it, buy it. Work your best price and don't be afraid to walk away if it's not exactly what you want.

Got a kit gun (serial K85646) at our local pawn shop for $135 OTD. 50 caliber and the bore is in fantastic shape and it was fitted together as well as my factory assembled one. The stock even has some custom carving done on the side opposite of the lock (tasteful sun with spokes and a really nice eagle adjacent to it) and very few handling marks.

When the wife saw the price and the fact that it was a T/C Hawken she asked if I wanted it (like I was going to say no :bigsmyl2:). Later she told me that she had been watching over my shoulder as I browsed and drooled gunbroker.com and knew that was a good price for the shape it was in and knew that I was wanting a percussion to go with my rocklock that I have. Took her out shooting and now it's turned into her gun [smilie=s: and I have to find another one for me (think I'll look at a 54 caliber percussion now).

hornady308
03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I recently picked up a New Englander flintlock for $225 OTD in nearly new condition. I had been watching it for months, but most people around here wouldn't want a flintlock even if they knew how to use one (which they don't).

brad925
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
WHere i live i would have been all over that like a dog on a bone!! A new TC runs between $800- $900. Used if in good shape around $400 plus!

Olevern
03-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Saw a 50 cal T/C Hawken in a shop in N.Central Pa. recently (new, unfired, old stock) on the rack for $749.00. With that said, I bought a nice Hawken recently used (45 cal) for $269.00 in a gun shop in N.Y. state southern tier.

Beagle333
03-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Although I hear the stories of $100-150 TCs, I can never find them.

I sat and watched this one go today, for $132 and had to keep sitting on my bidding hand to keep from nabbing it. I already have one, but this one was cheap and it looks like it only has some bluing missing from the end of the barrel. In any case, it also had a 5 day inspection period and so a person would have just been out actual shipping if it turned up as a lemon. I've taken much bigger chances.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278718862

(I'm still waiting to see that elusive $200± once-in-a-while deal on 1st or 2nd model dragoon to come down the pipe.) [smilie=1:

bowfin
04-01-2012, 02:25 AM
but most people around here wouldn't want a flintlock even if they knew how to use one

I shot my righthanded TC Hawken flintlock from the left shoulder just long enough to develop a horrible flinch. It has been sitting untouched in the basement for years.

04-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Never said the "K" serial numbered guns couldn't be as good, worse, or better than factory assembled guns. Just said they draw a lower price, as tdperry's experience above shows. caveot emptor (or something like that)

mooman76
04-01-2012, 10:47 AM
It's really hard to put a value on BP guns. There is such a vast difference in prices from one area of the country to another. Also time of years is a factor when Just before BP season they seem to disappear and the prices go up then also. Really you have to consider into the equation, what's it worth to you.

FLINTNFIRE
05-07-2012, 11:45 PM
It's really hard to put a value on BP guns. There is such a vast difference in prices from one area of the country to another. Also time of years is a factor when Just before BP season they seem to disappear and the prices go up then also. Really you have to consider into the equation, what's it worth to you.

That is an excellent answer , the true worth of anything is what you consider to be a good deal

General Havoc
07-11-2013, 07:48 PM
FWIW, I have a 1980 or '81 TC Hawken s/n 253xxx. It does not say "Hawken" on the barrel, only "Thompson/Center Arms Rochester, New Hampshire CAL 50 (not "50 CAL").

bob208
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
well the early guns were better then the later barrels. now if you are going to get down to the carlisle area. i have a t-c .50 for sale. we can take it out back and shoot it. see if it is good enough for you.

OverMax
07-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Considering a new one was near 700 or better. A nice clean one is probably worth 300.00. I wouldn't wait to long though. As I heard T/C discontinued making their traditional models. So the only store bought ones available after the T/Cs dry up will be Lyman & Traditions I believe. A 50 cal is plenty of rifle for most anyone's needs. A 54 cal you'll take notice of its recoil no doubt about that. I shoot a 45 cal T/C Hawken. I like its gentle push. Its little 128 gr. ball does what I ask of it out to 100 yards and has dropped a couple deer on the spot at somewhat closer distance's. A 50 cal takes care of business just as well with its slightly bigger punch. But as I said earlier don't wait to long in making your decision.

P/Script: Don't worry about the barrel differences between the earlier models verses the later ones. They both shoot well.

O/M

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Later barrels not as good ?
I disagree.
of course there are always lemons mixed in with the best friut.
My close friend, who I shoot with, has made several TC kits,
all the barrels were excellent.
AND,
I have had a TC Hawken with original barrel circa 1970s,
now I have one of the newer Hawken special edition with fancy wood and highly polished blued furniture and barrel.
Also have a older TC seneca with a newer replacement QLA barrel from Fox Ridge. All the barrels are TOP quality.
Good Luck,
Jon

Fly
07-12-2013, 09:58 AM
$200 great deal, $300 bit high.It's you money, but there all over the net.

Fly

KyBill
07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
The old 1 inch barrel Hawken around me in KY top out 350 . Seen stocks alone sell for 150$ Barrels 125+. if it is an early hawken pre warning 90% + rifle 300 is a fair price you can always haggle on price a bit . Cash always Talks at gun shops ! (and do not over tighten the lock plate screw the stock may crack shooting heavy powder charges) Last I checked new ones are around 750 +

cajun shooter
08-01-2013, 09:59 AM
I have always had a deep love and appreciation for the side locks. My first T/C was purchased in the early 70's and I have one now that I paid $400 for. It was never fired but used for decoration.
In Louisiana the T/C sells for more than what has been posted on this thread. The last list was $700
You do need to have a drop in bore light when buying used because of all the guns that were fired by one timers with that fake stuff that tries to pass for the real BP.
$400 and more is paid here for the real T/C rifles.