PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 solder

Aaron
03-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I just bought 100 pounds of 50/50 solder for $640. I can get more at this price, would that be ill advised? Did I get screwed already? Midway and others are higher than this for tin, that is why I purchased it. Trying to amass some alloy so I can start casting my own boolits. I need to feed a 50 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh, 500 JRH, and 500 S&W then move on to others later. I have been lurking here awhile. Based on info gleaned from this site, my Star sizer and 40lb pot are on order. I have 300lbs of ww, 265lbs of pure, and 400lbs of lino to start with. I just wanted some tin for other alloying purposes.

Thanks

Dale53
03-20-2007, 12:43 PM
You just paid $12.80 per pound for tin (100/50=50 $640/50=$12.80.

A gentleman on here, just a short while ago, sold a bunch of us pure tin at $5.00 per lb.

Dale53

John Boy
03-20-2007, 12:54 PM
... and John Walters in OK went from $7.00 to $10.00 a pound for his tin
thetinwadman@cox.net

Aaron, you might want to take them back for a refund or credit

Here's the info about the $5 Sn:
Instructions per the Seller
William Ream
1301 Glen Echo Road
Huntingdon Valley, Pa. 19006
When your ready to order, just multiply the number of pounds of tin you want by $5, then add $8 for shipping, that's close enough for me, unless it's more than the bulk box limit, then get a Postal Money Order for the total amount, no personal checks please. Then just send me the Money Order, and drop me a line with how much you ordered so I can get your tin packed up and ready to go when I get your MO. Again, let me asure you that my tin is very pure

If you want to talk to Bill first ... go to CastBoolits
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
Email:
Send a message via email to vp146b4
Private Message:
Send a private message to vp146b4

Cherokee
03-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Don't forget the value of the lead in the alloy Aaron bought, but having said that, Aaron, you still overpaid.:castmine:

montana_charlie
03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't forget the value of the lead in the alloy
Yup...that lead cost him $3.80 per pound if you figure the tin was worth $9.
CM

Crash_Corrigan
03-20-2007, 10:36 PM
I have been taking 20 to 30 gallons of floor sweepings from my buddy's radiator shop for the last 6 years. He uses 60/40 solder liberally and he was paying somebody up to $10 for the recycler to remove each 5 gallon bucket as they are considered toxic materials. I saw a bunch of unused solder in bucket in the corner of his shop and I asked about it. He says he has to pay to get rid of it. I said I will take all you have. :drinks: All I ask is that you let me supply you with 5 gallon buckets and when you have 3 or 4 1/2 full you let me know. [smilie=1: I cannot easily handle a full 5 gallons of the stuff since it weighs over 120 lbs and my 64 year old back cannot take the strain. I go by every couple of months and pick up a few buckets of just plain dirt, dust, cigar butts and a whole bunch of 60/40 solder either in drips and drops and chunks. I run it through a large piece of hardware cloth to strain out the biggest chunks of obvious junk and smelt the rest in a 8 quart cast iron pot over a turkey fryer. It reduces down 60 to 70 % and I end up with a real neat buncha ingots with very high tin content. :) I keep these marked and separate under my loading bench and when I want to mold some boolits I add one of the GOMEZ SPECIAL FLOOR SWEEPINGS INGOTS to 10 normal pure ww's ingots that I have cultivated locally. :castmine: I always ask every tire shop around for weights and I am always on the lookout for 5 gallon buckets. Any of the fast food places that deep fry always are throwing out good ones by the bye. :-D I leave empty buckets all over town with my name on them and my phone number. If there is a shooter there then I come with a few boxes of his favorite loads or a dozen or so Krispy Kreme donuts.:drinks: Again I only want a 1/2 bucket and I always leave empties. They are happy to see me and I have a constant supply of ww's both clip on and glue on. I smelt them all down together and I add(GOMEZ SPECIAL) tin when I put 'em in the Lee 20# pot. Water harden and I get BHN of 18-20 depending on how good I can see the little dimple that the Lee hardness tester makes. I wonder if I ought to heat treat them after this and prior to lubesizing? Is 18-20 BHN hard enough? I do not have any problem with leading now and the accuracy is pretty good so I guess if it ain't broke I am not going there. Do not overlook radiator shops around town. Make a friend and make a ton of boolits.
Dan :castmine:

dk17hmr
03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
I picked up about 130 pounds of Radiator shop drips from a shop just off my college campus for the price of 8 pounds of fishing weights, I give about the same for 5 gallon bucket of WW from a local shop. I have been casting for a year or so now and to date have only paid a total of $12 for lead at garage sales, if I were to sit down and cast all my lead I would casting for about 4 days soild.

Aaron
03-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Well it looks like I messed up my very first post here. Sorry about that. It was supposed to be 200 pounds of 50/50 not 100 pounds. Or $6.40 per pound of tin.

Thanks

MT Gianni
03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
You did a lot better, When EPA/clean water act said no more 50/50 in water lines I bought about 20 lbs at $3.25 a lb and thought I did ok but that was 1995 dollars. Gianni.