PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Mitchell's Mausers?

Jim
02-26-2012, 07:08 AM
I was looking at Mitchell's Mausers recently. The photos they have posted show beautiful rifles. Does anyone here have any experience buying from these people? Are the rifles really as nice as Mitchell's claims?

bcp477
02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
I bought one, a Yugo M48b, tagged as a Mitchell's, from a gun store, some years ago. It was marked as one of their "shooter grade" rifles. It was OK in most all respects, however the stock was nothing to get too happy about. It was somewhat overpriced, especially considering the stock. I wanted it, though....and after a bit of repair and refinishing, it was a good rifle.

As regards the price, I can't remember what it was, not that that's important now. But, I do remember that the price was exactly the same as listed on the Mitchell's website.

Since I have not dealt with Mitchell's directly, I can't comment directly on them.....other than to say, be careful. I do know that they have a reputation for overpricing their guns......and for advertising hyperbole (false and misleading info). Some of the ad hype on their website has been just plain nonsense. I refer to some of what they say about the Yugo M48's ......and especially, about the "Tanker" Mauser carbine. THAT write-up is just plain bogus. There NEVER was anything like a special "Tanker" Mauser carbine produced anywhere - the carbine is a current production Zastava, modeled after a run of police carbines made for various nations, in the past. Further, I remember Mitchell's advertises (or used to) that their stocks are/ were "a species of Teak". This is a total lie. There have NEVER been any production runs of "Teak" stocks, at least NOT in Europe......and the stock on the "Tanker" carbine is BEECH.....definitely NOT Teak.

waksupi
02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Google "Mitchell Mausers reviews", see what you find.

Hip's Ax
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Way, way, way over priced. Zero collector value. They take cheap Mausers and refinish them and slap them into a fancy box for impulse buyers.

Get a real 8mm Mauser from the mil surp market. Just a quick look and I turned up $199 Yugo Mausers at J&G. This avenue is likely to provide you with a rifle that will likely never decrease in value. Of course you have to check it out as far as headspace etc.

Better yet, what I do is I research and decide what Mauser I want. Read more once I figure it out then I watch for sale forums and Gunbroker etc to establish what price I will pay for what condition. Then I shop. I have 4 Mausers, a M96 Swedish, an 8MM Turkish, a 7mm Chilean M95 and a 7.65mm Argentine long. I bought the Swede without any homework, an impulse buy. I was not smart enough at the time to know about matching numbers. I learned after that one.

Just my opinion.

ilcop22
02-26-2012, 10:57 PM
A buddy of mine has one. They're basically parts guns, refinished and hit with an inflated price tag. His has zero collector's value. I think he secretly envies my RC 98k. :Fire:

Kraschenbirn
02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Haven't been really impressed with three that I've, personally, held in my hands. As ilcop22 stated, their currently offered "service-grade" M48s appear to be 'parts guns' assembled from whatever parts were on hand that day, overpolished, renumbered, and refinished. All three of my military Mausers were purchased "face-to-face" or through a live auction and I haven't got more than $200 in any of them.

Bill

GT27
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
For me other than drooling over their ads,Nothing!:groner:

wgr
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
i have one my dad bought. it shoots good but it not anything to jump up and down over

KCSO
02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Ordered one for a customer and wasn't impressed, a refinished Mause is all and a carefull workman could do the same at home for a lot less money.

donnis
02-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Cabelas near me has 10 or so out on the rack marked down to $399 ($100 off). They're yugos and for the difference in price between those and ones I've seen in cosmoline at gun shows I'd go for 2 at the gun show.

I was glad I saw some in person because I might have considered buying one to get a "nice" one. I would have been disappointed.

The ones at Cabelas haven't sold in the more than 6 months they've been out on the rack.

Jim
02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks, fellas. I've heard about all I need to make a decision. I think I'll look further.

6.5 mike
03-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Jim, save your money & look for a good swede.

Jim
03-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Jim, save your money & look for a good swede.

Got one! :bigsmyl2:

CLAYPOOL
03-04-2012, 01:00 AM
I bought one and it looks like a stock cleaning (They missed a spot) and blued right over the real rough rust pits...I don't mind paying for a nice gun, ..BUT I sure hate to be cheaded..Try to contact them...The cert. of owner ship isnt even a complete match..But it looks good at a short distance..

Shiloh
03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
They are a parts gun.
Way over priced.

See this thread from SurplusRifle.com
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=114974&start=15

Comments like the ones at the above website are all over the gunboards

SHiloh

03-06-2012, 12:42 AM
There is a great deal of appeal to a fine, original 98! I've been looking a looong time. My neighbor has an original 98 taken off the Normandy battlefield (not just a story from someone trying to sell one) but I know because HE took it off the battlefield! It has remained untouched, unfired since then. Boy or boy is it beat up and worn with a very worn bore. Maybe issued to a young conscript? So, in some ways that has changed my thinking and perspective while looking for them. However, during my search I have picked up really good Swedes, Chileans and early, post-war FN commercials. I'll continue to look for the classic 98 in fine, original condition, but in a way, the difficulty of the search has been a blessing.

wv109323
03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
My father has one. They come at a premimum price as others have already said. They are cosmetically a cut above what you find at the gun shows. I tried to sell the one my father had at a gun show and could not find a buyer that would pay the premimum for the Mitchell over what was available at the gun show.
If you frequent gun shows and know what you are looking at, then you can buy a rifle that is just as "shootable" and enjoyable as the Mitchell for a $100.00 or $150.00 less.

emrah
03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Mitchell's has a very bad rap with milsurp collectors. I have a Yugo 24/47 with dings, scratches, filler, stock repair, etc. I wouldn't dream of trading it for a Mitchell's parts gun.

Emrah

CLAYPOOL
03-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Mine has a section at the top of the stock , muzzle end that they missed while cleaning. Yes they blued over the pits. Been in the save 4 years now and I think the blueing is starting to let the rust come threw. As usuall I buy high and sell cheappppp...It is shinney every where though..My 1945 model has a "MUCH" better look to me..Very rusty bore...