PDA

View Full Version : Needle broken off in spout

ihmsakiwi
02-26-2012, 04:16 AM
The needle I was using to unblock the spout has broken off in the spout blocking it.
I have emptyed it and cleaned it out with wire brush and boiled a couple of pots full of water.
But how to get the needle out? I read in one thread here to turn it on turn the unit upside down and try to clear it? I can't cause further damage by running the pot empty can I?
Peter

billyb
02-26-2012, 04:53 AM
If it was mine I would use a propane tourch on the exposed spout. If you are talking about a lee pot the pot is easy to remove. Remove the hex screws on top of the pot and lift it out the top. It would be easy then to use the tourch to heat up enough to melt the lead in the spout out. Bill

ihmsakiwi
02-26-2012, 11:52 PM
If it was mine I would use a propane tourch on the exposed spout. If you are talking about a lee pot the pot is easy to remove. Remove the hex screws on top of the pot and lift it out the top. It would be easy then to use the tourch to heat up enough to melt the lead in the spout out. Bill

Thanks BillyB.

Its a Lyman 20lber.

ihmsakiwi
02-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Thanks BillyB.

Its a Lyman 20lber.

All fixed. I heated it up empty and just used a really thin S/S welding rod to push out the obstruction. Peter:-)