PDA

View Full Version : First wheel weight bucket

cf_coder
02-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Well, I finally acquired an actual bucket of wheel weights. Had to pay $40 for it but it was definitely full to the brim. I was actually quite pleased with the composition. Here in AZ, we get a lot of transplants from CA and a good number of the chain tire shops have gone to zinc or steel weights. After separating, I wound up with ~93 pounds of clip ons, 64 pounds of stick ons and ~15 pounds of steel and zinc. Not a bad percentage! Last small batch I got from a dealership was probably 85% zinc and steel.

Now, after my first experimentations with the wood fired chimney stove and the Coleman stove, I broke down and got the Bass Pro fish fryer. 39.99 in store, 29.97 online. They had to price match their own website. :groner: Needless to say, this thing blows heat like nobody's business. Works like a charm. Once the pot is hot and the flame is on full tilt, I can melt a full 6 qt dutch oven in around 15 minutes. I likey!

Anyway, with all that being said, I just got done with the clip ons and it ended up being right at 80 pounds of cupcake ingots. Add that to the range scrap that I've been doing (64 pounds of ingots) and I'm off to a good start. Still have the SOWW to do tomorrow. Now, I need to go garage sale hunting for pewter! I'm almost there! :smile:

Vinne
02-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Good for you, Coder!!! I remember my first time at the pour. Back then you didn't have to worry about separating...it was all good.
Now I take a lot of time checking the stock for "bad" ones. I don't like to work the stick-ons due to the glue backing that smokes too much and a lot of steel ones to skim out.
I sell those as scrap along with the clips and the steel WWs. In different containers of course.
Well, have fun!!!

cf_coder
02-26-2012, 12:56 AM
As I understand it, the SOWW are as close to pure lead as you can find in the automotive area. Smoke isn't that much of a bother for me. I just put the lid on crank up the heat and let her go. By the time I pull it off it's not that bad and a match takes care of the rest. I'm actually looking forward the the SOWW the most right not. I need more soft lead to even out the COWW that I have. My plan was to start with one of the Lee .45 molds and the softer lead should do just fine, maybe mixed 1 part COWW to 2 parts SOWW.

I think this current source could turn out to be a good one. I have another that I need to drop a bucket off to as well. They re-use their COWW, but toss all of their stick ons. I'll take those!!! :)