PDA

View Full Version : W.W.Greener shotgun conversion

Frank46
03-20-2007, 04:02 AM
I have two of these. Was thinking of getting one rebarrelled to 50-70. Would make the conversion somewhat easier with the larger case head and with BP would serve to keep the pressures down. This is not a split receiver nor are there circlips holding the various parts in place. 24-26 octagon bbl,Parker Hale globe front sight with lee shaver inserts (got a deal on these from sarco. and maybe some form of receiver sight. Should look nice and be effective at least out to 2 hundred yards. Any comments or suggestions. Frank

Boz330
03-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Sounds good to me, it ought to be a nice rifle. One of those in 45-70 is on my wish list somewhere in the future.

Bob

The Double D
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Why octagon barrel?

Hackleback
03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
You mean like this:

http://www.yeoldgnsmth.com/odin/od_g4570.htm

martinibelgian
03-21-2007, 06:07 AM
I have one in 45-70, built on a split receiver GP - it is a nice rifle indeed, lots of space for the cartridge and blowtube...
As from now, it will be my shortrange BP match rifle, now that I have the #2 Musket. It used to be my do-it-all match rifle, I even used it at the world championsips in SA last year.
Mind you ,mine is a full-blown conversion: new wood, new barrel, aperture front, rear tang sight - only the action is left from the original gun. No issues with it. I only use it with BP though - even if it would handle grade I (trapdoor) nitro loads without problems. But where's the fun of shooting nitro in such a rifle?

Frank46
03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Double D, well I kinda like the old time look of the octagon bbl. But was thinking of having the origional shotgun bbl duplicated in 50-70 but don't know if it would be thick (strong enough) for the cartridge. At this point still in the planning stage. The wood isn't usable as is except for the forend and the buttstock is too far gone
and would prefer a shotgun type buttstock. I think that CPA does sell wood for the martini though. I could be wrong. Frank

Boz330
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Frank, he is just prejudiced because the Brits used octagon barrels on cheap guns and round on the up scale guns and he is a purist when it comes to Martinis. Personaly I like the look of octagon barrels.
I would think that the Greener action would be plenty stout for the 50-70. There are guys that are barreling them for the .577 Super Sniders. I'm not into that much pain.

Bob

The Double D
03-23-2007, 01:26 AM
You have this big flat sided action and then you add another big flat -- in a flat sided barrel. Then following the American school everyone puts a 4x4 on for a fore stock and rounds the edges.

The ugliest of the ugly is those Odin guns. The may be very well built, but there is not a bit grace about them. That Octagon barrel just makes them look clunky.

http://www.yeoldgnsmth.com/odin/4570_1.gif

Compare to a properly set up Martini with a tapered barrel.

http://www.fototime.com/DE0C30A989ED10B/standard.jpg

Boz330
03-23-2007, 09:16 AM
DD, I'm sure that Odin would set them up anyway you want for enough $$$$$$. I think that all they are doing is modifing the original stocks after they put on the 45-70 barrel.
I have to admit that those sporting MHs are a piece of art and function. I found one at Friendship last year and by the time the fall shoot came around he added another $400 to the price which made it about $600 out side of my budget. It sure was pretty though, but I'm not sure he really wants to sell it. It will be interesting to see if he still has it at the spring shoot.
Is that yours or one of the guys from SA?

Bob

The Double D
03-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Bob,

That one's mine as pictured on RichardsWV farm...you been there.

I have MkIV that's been rebarreled to .375 2 /12 inch Flanged NE with slightly Modified military stock that I am going to redo like this. Will add aPG Stock with long lever bent and barreled end.

There is no reason a Martini has to look like clunk! Even an tapered octagon or half round barrel could be done on a Martini and look good.

Frank46
03-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Boz, just for the heck of it, what is a 577super snider??. Never hear of it. As far as the greener is concerned, the octagon bbl like odin uses on their greener's looks ok to me. Since this is still in the planning stages suggestions are more than welcome. I measured the origional bbl length on the greener and its approximately 26" long. Like I mentioned the origional wood is kinda ratty. Frank

Boz330
03-26-2007, 10:39 AM
It is a 58 cal round that is about the same lengh as a 577-450. Holds a pile of powder.

Bob

Frank46
03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
It is a 58 cal round that is about the same lengh as a 577-450. Holds a pile of powder.

Bob

Boz, thanks for the description, sounds like a thumper at both ends. I'm guessing that this one is loaded with black powder?. Thanks, Frank