PDA

View Full Version : ? Movin on up to a Lee Turret press

Wilsknife
02-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking of movin' on up to a Lee turret press. I want to still do decapping on my Lee Reloader and priming with the Lee hand primer. Looking at a 3 hole turret press, possibly the Lee Classic Cast turret press.
Your thoughts, ideas, (and prayers (haha)) would be truly appreciated.
Thanks for your reply.:lovebooli

Wilsknife
02-25-2012, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=Wilsknife;1607083] I want to still do decapping on my Lee Reloader and priming with the Lee hand primer.
Because I can do those in small time periods, instead of the 2 hours it takes to set up and load 50 rounds.:cbpour:

r1kk1
02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Others guys have experience with the Classic Cast version as I do not. I load stuff that is too long for this press to handle. I did not have good experiences with the alloy version. I would try it without the auto index and it would probably do what you want to do. Nothing says you have to do x because of y. Soon guys will chime in about this version your looking at.

take care,

r1kk1

L Ross
02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I bought the Classic 4 holer a few years ago and I really enjoy it. My Rock Chucker sits idle most of the time now. I have a bunch of turrets and leave the dies in them. I also enjoy the priming system on the press.

Duke

Gee_Wizz01
02-25-2012, 08:54 PM
I also own a Lee Classic 4 hole turret (all Lee Classic Turret Presses are 4 Holers). My Rockchucker also sits idle since I got my Lee Classic Turret. My progressive presses don't get near as much use since I got the Classic Turret. You did not say what rounds you were loading for, but the Classic Turret does well for both rifle and pistol. With the auto index it easy to load 200 rounds of pistol ammo an hour. The press is plenty strong for any rifle rounds too. I load a lot of 30-06 and it works fine for full length resizing. I have also used it to swage 50-90 Sharps brass down to 43 Beaumont brass. It is much stronger than the Lee 3 hole Turret press. The 3-hole turret press is not well suited for rifle ammo larger than 223 Remington.

G

perazzi
02-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Works well for me on .38 spl and .45 acp. I likewise deprime and prime off the machine.

FLDad
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
It sounds like you are not planning on doing huge volumes, so I suggest the Classic Cast Turret. You can do batch processing like a single-stage without having to change dies in and out. When you are ready to use the auto-indexing turret, it will be there for you. I usually deprime off the press, but I enjoy the speed of the safety prime. Once it is aligned, that is...

JesterGrin_1
02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Others guys have experience with the Classic Cast version as I do not. I load stuff that is too long for this press to handle. I did not have good experiences with the alloy version. I would try it without the auto index and it would probably do what you want to do. Nothing says you have to do x because of y. Soon guys will chime in about this version your looking at.

take care,

r1kk1

r1kk1

The old 3 hole Lee Press that you are used to is not nearly as good as the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.

As far as room goes it has room for any rifle cartridge you wish to load. From what I hear up to 50 BMG. Just as the Lee Classic Cast Single stage press.

I have a Pat's Press mount and the only press I have mounted is the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. I like Pat's Mount so I can also slide in my Lyman 45 and my Wilson case cutter.

This is the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/ClassicTP.jpg

Mine Mounted in the Pat's Mount.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0052.jpg

Lee Classic Cast Single Stage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/ClassiCast.jpg

The Pictures are not great but you get the idea of the versatility of Pat's Mount
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0068.jpg

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-26-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking of movin' on up to a Lee turret press. I want to still do decapping on my Lee Reloader and priming with the Lee hand primer. Looking at a 3 hole turret press, possibly the Lee Classic Cast turret press.
Your thoughts, ideas, (and prayers (haha)) would be truly appreciated.
Thanks for your reply.:lovebooli

One of the thoughts I have is if you're decapping and priming off the press, you're wasting half the capability of the press. The press has an excellent depriming capability and priming capability once it's adjusted properly. It does take patience up front to get it adjusted properly and learn how to use it, but once that's done, your capability to load quantities of cartridges in a short period of time goes up dramatically.

I want to still do decapping on my Lee Reloader and priming with the Lee hand primer.
Because I can do those in small time periods, instead of the 2 hours it takes to set up and load 50 rounds

Your comment here indicates to me you've not yet realized how much faster the Lee Classic Turret with it's auto advance, depriming, priming, powder through case expansion and automatic powder drop is than your current single stage setup. For example set it up this way for pistol:

1st Station sizing/depriming die.
2nd Station prime/powder through case expansion/powder drop w/Lee Pro Auto Disk
3rd Station bullet seating die
4th Station Lee factory crimp die for mild crimp

Then this is the time you can start with 50 clean tumbled cases and end up with 50 loaded cartrdges: 15 minutes. Yes, I said it, 15 minutes. [smilie=w: So I suggest you might want to alter your thinking on that one. Two hours of relaxed, mild labor can provide you 400 cartridges, not 50.:shock:

If you've used a single stage for many years, this increase in production will be a boon to you.

So when you get your Lee Classic Turret, I suggest you get all the bells and whistles. Here's what I suggest for most people getting the Lee:

Lee Classic Turret
4 hole turrets - as many as calibers you want to load for, they're inexpensive
Lee Pro Auto "Disk powder measures - as many calibers as you want to load for - that you're using a ball type powder that feeds well in this measure. A post or two asking for suggestions on powder will render this information for you. These are inexpensive, so buy one for every turret mentioned above. Don't buy the cheaper auto disk measure, these are much better and you'll be glad you bought them.
Lee Auto Disk Riser - you'll need one for each Pro Auto Disk powder measure you buy
Lee micro charge bar - get one, if you need it, you'll have it and it's inexpensive
Lee micro disk - get one, if you need it, you'll have it and it's inexpensive
Lee double disk kits - get at least two, the measures come with their own disks, so two kits can supplement several measures, but these are mostly needed for larger cartridges that require a lot of powder.
Lee safety prime, large and small primer - get two sets of the safety prime, one for small rifle, one for small pistol, one for large rifle and one for large pistol. Label each one and once you've loaded primers into them, you can leave the primers there if you don't use them up and simply hang the unused safety primer on a hook until it's next use.
Hornady case activated powder drop - buy one initially if you want to reload rifle powders that don't feed well in a pro auto disk. you will use this with an RCBS Uniflow powder measure.
Uniflow powder measure - is small enough to balance well on the Lee Classic cast and on top of the Hornady CAPD, greatly extends your powder drop capability - if you don't have one, you can pick them up used very reasonably almost anywhere related to guns, including on the swap and sell forum. You'll have to get an arm that fits the Uniflow from RCBS (comes of their version of the Uniflow) to adapt the CAPD to the Uniflow, but this is easily done.
Hornady CAPD die bases - buy these later, after you find you need the Uniflow for more than one cartridge - makes it easy to swap the Uniflow around.

Once you get the press, thoroughly clean it, lube it and take the time to knock the rough machining edges off, especially the worm gear. Once you've done that, adjust/tune the auto advance so that when you're operating the arm slowly, the turret is just barely able to lock into it's ball detent. Why? Because when you're operating it during operation, the turret with the weight of the dies will lock positively in place and won't travel past the locking detent ball. Makes the press capable of being operated faster, thereby producing more cartridges per hour.

I hope this helps you.

newcastter
02-26-2012, 08:26 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/195124f47fa6b0ebd7.jpg
I just went from single stage to this Lee Pro 1000, I absolutely love it, I thought about the Turret but decided to go all out, Look at CowboyT's instructional videos they really might help make that purchase, I suggest Titan Reloading for anything Lee they have the best prices.

Wilsknife
02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
I appreciate everyones input. Keep it coming...
I will only be reloading 380, 38 sp/357 mag, 9mm, 44 mag, and 45 acp. Two of my 3 rifles are handgun calibers, and I don't shoot the 270 Win enough to justify the $100 to set up for it.

Let me see if I'm getting the list right:
Lee Classic Cast Turret Press
Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder measure
Lee auto disk riser
Extra turret plates
Lee micro charge bar
Lee safety primer
Lee Micro disk
Lee double disk

Any thing I've left out?
I'm doing this on somewhat of a budget.

FYI - In my neighborhood (about a dozen shops with reloading supplies), small pistol primers are already getting scarce.

I'm sure that some year I'll start saving money on this, or have enough ammo for the apocalypse, plus I get to practice more.

r1kk1
02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Check out prices at Factory sales.

xbeeman412
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
PM headed Your way

DLCTEX
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Definitely recommend the Classic CAST Turret press over the Classic. It will handle long calibers and has the power to do whatever needs doing. Also the Safety Prime System will have you doing priming on the press more than you think. I also recommend the adjustable disc for the Pro Auto Disc.

FLDad
02-26-2012, 03:18 PM
I agree with Mr. DLCTEX. The Safety Prime system is fast and effective. I especially like the safety aspect. Some presses use a tube feed for primers and I just won't go there. I know the chances of an accident are very low, but a dropped tube could be trouble. The Air Force has something similar, and I think they call it a "cluster bomb."

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I appreciate everyones input. Keep it coming...
I will only be reloading 380, 38 sp/357 mag, 9mm, 44 mag, and 45 acp. Two of my 3 rifles are handgun calibers, and I don't shoot the 270 Win enough to justify the $100 to set up for it.

Let me see if I'm getting the list right:
Lee Classic Cast Turret Press
Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder measure
Lee auto disk riser
Extra turret plates
Lee micro charge bar
Lee safety primer
Lee Micro disk
Lee double disk

Any thing I've left out?
I'm doing this on somewhat of a budget.

FYI - In my neighborhood (about a dozen shops with reloading supplies), small pistol primers are already getting scarce.

I'm sure that some year I'll start saving money on this, or have enough ammo for the apocalypse, plus I get to practice more.

I strongly suggest you go with most of the Lee stuff on the list I provided with your first order. Budget or no, the difference in price won't be that much and it'll save you shipping down the road, as there's a good chance you'll end up ordering those items anyway.

newcastter
02-26-2012, 09:19 PM
PM headed Your way

Why not share your suggestions?

xbeeman412
02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I just told him I had a few Lee products He could use or some RCBS items as well.

r1kk1
02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
1st off thank you JesterGrin for pointing out the differences between the old alloy and cast iron turret. I had two separate ones fail during a week back in the late 80s or early 90s (been a while). This soured me greatly on them. The longer cases that I load are 375 H&H and 9.3X74r. I load these on a semi progressive and they do quite well. At 100 meters they hold their own.

2nd Gee_Whiz. I know the case you are forming and it was refreshing to know that the press could do this. I would not count on a turret for this duty but it is nice to know. I had an 11 mm French Gras at one time. The semi progressive would not case form but I have a nice single stage for that duty.

3rd DaveinGerorgia - Did they get rid of the plastic nut associated with the index rod? I know operator error will wipe it out but don't understand using plastic. You mention a detent ball and that makes more sense. Also I use a totally different powder measure as it will meter 800x (one of my favorites) very well plus any ball or stick powder. In short, it throws powder very consistently for me.

take care,

r1kk1

p.s. I'm glad that Lee finally got into the cast game.

Wilsknife
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
I just purchased my new press with the accessories. Thanks for all your input. FSreloading offered the best deal at about $250(incl. shipping), Next was Titan, and last was Midway at over$300(and one item was out of stock)
It took me 2.5 hours to load 50 380s on Sunday(during GunTalk.) That will change soon! Thank you all again.:lovebooli
:castmine:

r1kk1
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I hate doing thin short cases personally. I like the 357 to handle and larger.

380 sounds hard to manipulate and I don't own this but a 9mm.

take care,

r1kk1

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-28-2012, 01:40 AM
r1kk1,

You answers in red.

3rd DaveinGerorgia - Did they get rid of the plastic nut associated with the index rod?

No, they did not, but if you have your press tuned and adjusted per the method I've laid out a couple times on this board (Like I know Jestergrin has and gets great service out of his press.), you'll not have any problems with the plastic part failing. It's short stroking and improperly adjusted indexing that damages this part.

I know operator error will wipe it out but don't understand using plastic.

The plastic is used to prevent damage to the worm gear/rod. A lot of folks don't take the time to properly tune and adjust the press, so they end up ham fisting it.

You mention a detent ball and that makes more sense.

The detent ball is what locks the turret in place once rotation is complete. It's mounted in the turret head of the press. The turrets are cut with a groove for this to ride in and have holes for it to lock into.

Also I use a totally different powder measure as it will meter 800x (one of my favorites) very well plus any ball or stick powder. In short, it throws powder very consistently for me.

I can't comment on your powder measures as I don't know what they are. My comments were directed towards the original poster and maximizing automated (case activated powder drop) on the Lee Classic Turret. Your measures may or may not be case activated and may or may not big small enough to ride comfortably on the press. Without actually seeing them or knowing their weight, I could not comment on the effectiveness with this press. If they are as large and heavy as a Hornady LnL or a Dillon powder measure, they are probably a bit too large to ride comfortably atop the Lee Classic Turret. That said, I am again talking about maximizing efficiency with as much automated operation with the press as possible. This automation is a major part of what gives the press it's advantages over older designs of turrets.

I hope this answers your questions.

r1kk1
02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks Dave for taking time to give me the answers I wanted. They have changed quite a few things going to the Classic Cast series which is good. I will PM you as I have more questions and don't want to take away from this thread.

take care,

r1kk1

Wilsknife
03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=DaveInFloweryBranchGA;1607926]One of the thoughts I have is if you're decapping and priming off the press, you're wasting half the capability of the press. The press has an excellent depriming capability and priming capability once it's adjusted properly. It does take patience up front to get it adjusted properly and learn how to use it, but once that's done, your capability to load quantities of cartridges in a short period of time goes up dramatically.

Dave you're right! Last time I reloaded, I got 70 9mm done in an hour and a half. MUCH quicker...
Thanks to you and to everyone else that offered advice :D

:castmine:

:cbpour:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Dave you're right! Last time I reloaded, I got 70 9mm done in an hour and a half. MUCH quicker...
Thanks to you and to everyone else that offered advice :D

Is this the quantity you're getting with the Lee Classic Turret or what you were getting before? If you're using the Lee Classic Turret, that number should easily be 200/hour if you're loafing along. If that number is on the Lee Classic Turret, it sounds like you're not using the full capabilities of the press.

41 mag fan
03-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Had the 4 holer for many years now.
I wont load rifle on it, but used to load and still do some of my pistol.
Reasoning for the not loading the rifle on it, is when on the upstroke, there is a slight raise in the turret.
IMO, I don't like the slight gap for rifle loads.
One other thing I noticed that made it a pistol only reloader, is when trying to resize 223 cases, I had the sizer adjusted correctly, it just wouldn't fully size all the way to the shell holder. That was even following Lees instructions, turn the die till it touches the shell holder, then turn it a 1/4 turn more.

I think though, Lees turret press is one of a few things they've put out that is a good product for the money.
The plastic nut, I think I got 10k of loadings before it wore out and needed replaced.

Now that I got my LNL, my Lee sits collecting dust for the most part.

Wilsknife
03-31-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm loafing and this was my first time using it.

Wilsknife
03-31-2012, 11:00 PM
That many rounds on the Reloader was 3 hours, with all the powder weighing, etc.

jld_in_IA
04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
I've been using the turret for several years now. While I don't believe I've ever achieved 200 rounds per hour, I have certainly done 100.

My style also tends to be somewhat paranoid though. I deprime and prime on the press, then check every case for high primers. I'll sample about 1 case in 10 for case length, and about the same to check powder weight. All that extra checking puts a real crimp on production numbers, but I've always been happy with the consistancy of the loads.

I can't really say too much about the toughness of the press, but it has successfully loaded several thousand 38 and 45's, plus a few hundred each of 45-70, 223, and 7mm Rem Mag. That includes a couple of 300 Win Mag cases I accidentally re-formed down to 7mm Rem Mag. As such, I consider it a great place to start in reloading.

jld_in_IA