PDA

View Full Version : What Springs for CM Followers?

ColColt
02-25-2012, 03:52 PM
A couple months back I started a thread about feeding problems with one or two of my 1911's. I took the advice given and bought half a dozen 11# Wolff mag springs and all has been well since. I ordered a few from CM as well and found them to be about identical to the Wolff.

Here's my problem. Up until now I had mostly taken several of these mags to the range and loaded a full 7 round mag with the slide open and no problem. I hadn't had the need for an instance of inserting these mags fully loaded into either the SW1911SC or Commander with the slide closed but decided to use one as a HD pistol and that's when I found I can't get the magazine in with the slide closed...no way, no how will it press all the way in. Oddly enough, the GI CM mag will work but not the ones with the CM skirted follower. I found that strange in that the GI follower has a longer rear leg and yet the CM follower(skirted and dimpled) is shorter in back but it won't work with a slide closed. An 8 round CM mag with the XP spring will not work as well.

Could it be the XP Wolff or CM spring won't work with the CM follower? I thought they should mate together and work fine and as for feeding there great but you can't get the full mag in with the slide closed.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
The 8 round mag spring has 11 coils, the 7 round mag spring has 14 coils. The tail of the 7 round follower is longer than the tail of the 8 round follower. Does your 1911 have a full length grip like a gov’t model? If your mag fits a grip shorter than full size gov’t model and you place 7 round parts in it there wouldn’t be enough room to seat a fully loaded mag. Does this help?

ColColt
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
The Commander sized pistols take the same magazine as the Government model. Mine is a Commander and the SW1911SC takes the same size mags. The Wolff #11 won't fit the CM "bull nose" follower, that I do know. The spring is too wide for the follower and will bunch up.