PDA

View Full Version : Anchor bolt lead?

Jimbo2
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
I had a friend give me some machine screw anchor bolts from a going out of business sale at a hardware store. I didn't have a need for 30-40 of the things, and they have a lead alloy sleeve around the threaded shell you tighten and expand into the anchor hole. I have stripped the lead shells off, and noticed that they are a little harder than a fingernail, but a penny will leave a scratch in them so they probably aren't pure lead. I was wondering if anybody out there has an idea what alloy they might be. Thanks in advance.

Bill*
02-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I've worked with them and snapped a few accidentally. The end break and brittleness made me think they were probably a mixture alloy. Not sure at all, but wouldn't be surprised if there was some zinc or other contaminant in there.

Jeffrey
02-26-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.toggler.com/wejit/images/product_doc/p_32_159_Mach-Screw_Anchors.pdf

Amazing what can be found on the internet. This msds says shield is 3 - 5% antimonal lead. Test for zinc with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.

a.squibload
02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
http://www.toggler.com/wejit/images/product_doc/p_32_159_Mach-Screw_Anchors.pdf

This msds says shield is 3 - 5% antimonal lead. Test for zinc with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.

Also says the cone is ZAMAC!
Glad I had the heat low, tried to melt some of those one time,
the cone part floated.

Can also test for zinc with citric acid, safe and cheap.

Jimbo2
02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
thanks Jeffrey, how do you test for zinc with muriatic acid? Is there a sticky above that explains it? If its just straight 3-4% antimonial lead it could be useful for adjusting hardness.

cf_coder
03-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Just put a drop or two of the muratic acid on the sample you want to test. If it starts to bubble, you have zinc in it. Make sure to rinse it really well with water before you touch or dispose.

tomme boy
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
The ones I have used are lead. But it is not the same as the ones listed above.

Jimbo2
03-01-2012, 11:15 PM
I'll try the acid test cf coder, and see what happens. The shells and the threaded portions come apart without much work, so I've already pulled them apart. thanks for all the responses.