PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing...How Much Lube?

buyobuyo
02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm collecting ingredients/tools to make some Emmert for pan lubing boolits for my muzzle loader. I was curious how much you all use to get the job done. I'm just trying to make the process as efficient as possible by not having to make a bunch of small batches to get enough or make way too much and have to store it.

I know it going to depend on the pan size and boolit being lubed. I have a 9" cake pan I was planning on using and the boolits are both sizes of 50 cal Lee REALs.

Reload3006
02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
if you made enough to fill the pan that you intend to sit your boolits in you will have enough to do the job and of course enough extra to replace the volume that your boolits take up. at least that is the way I would approach it. calculate the volume of your pan and you have your answer. LxWxD=V for a square or rectangular pan.

Boolseye
02-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I lube the .50 cal 320 grain REAL this way and I made about a quart of Emmert's.
I use it all when I lube two pans, one 9" round and one 8" square.

buyobuyo
02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys. After I posted this, I had the idea of putting the boolits in the pan and adding water to the level that I needed, but your way of calculating the volume is a bit easier and faster.

Ignoring the fact that the sides taper out and using the diameter of the base, I'll need 5 cups of lube to "fill" the pan.

fryboy
02-25-2012, 11:59 AM
adding water is problematic , for one it cools the whole shebang and doesnt help the heat transfer that seems to help , much better is a ingot or other solid space filler , when pan lubing you need to at least cover the desired grooves with molten lube ( from the base to that desired lube groove ) you can always get a smaller pan ( such as a bread loaf pan ) and as stated you want enough to be able to replenish what's used

Jailer
02-25-2012, 12:00 PM
About a pound and a half of lube should do it for a pan that size. Sounds like you're using silicone bake pans and that's about what it takes for me in mine. This will leave you a little left over to add back to the pan once you've lubed a few.

I keep my lube cakes for each caliber in zip lock bags until I need them again.

mdi
02-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Don't know the volume needed for a pan of lube + bullets, but, when I started making ny lubes I used a pyrex measuring cup in a pan of boiling water to heat my ingredients. One way to get close is to melt some lube in the lube pan, to the desired depth, and pour into/measure in a measuring cup. Since I don't make large batches, and the lube goes a long way, I usually make up a one or two cups of lube, and leave it in my pyrex cup until testing. If the lube fails, I'm only out mebbe 2 cups of ingredients max., usually less, or can add other ingredients to alter the lube.

BTW; if a lube fails for the intended purpose, mostly magnum handgun shooting, I keep it around for low velocity .38 Special or .44 Special loads. Just about anything works for these two...

buyobuyo
02-25-2012, 12:50 PM
adding water is problematic , for one it cools the whole shebang and doesnt help the heat transfer that seems to help , much better is a ingot or other solid space filler , when pan lubing you need to at least cover the desired grooves with molten lube ( from the base to that desired lube groove ) you can always get a smaller pan ( such as a bread loaf pan ) and as stated you want enough to be able to replenish what's used

The water was only for figuring how much volume was needed to fill the pan to the desired level. Not for while actually lubing the boolits.

I haven't actually made any lube yet. I need to get my hands on a cheap double boiler, beeswax, and lanolin. I was going to get beeswax and lanolin from RandyRat, but he's out of beeswax right now. Fortunately, I've found a place a couple of hours away that I can get it from for a reasonable price ($6/lb). I'm also going to check out the local stores to see if they happen to have any lanolin in the cosmetic section.

About a pound and a half of lube should do it for a pan that size. Sounds like you're using silicone bake pans and that's about what it takes for me in mine. This will leave you a little left over to add back to the pan once you've lubed a few.

I keep my lube cakes for each caliber in zip lock bags until I need them again.

Thanks for the info. My pan is just a standard metal one from one of the dollar stores here in town.

C.F.Plinker
02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm also going to check out the local stores to see if they happen to have any lanolin in the cosmetic section.

Ask the pharmacist at your drug stores - even the ones in the grocery stores. They may be able to order in a pound at a lower price than the small tubes or jars on the counter. And they are not all the same price. When I asked around I got prices from $30 per pound down to $11 per pound. BTW this was before I knew that Randy was selling it.

runfiverun
02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
you want anhydrous lanolin.
you can get by with some lanosil [it's a cream for nursing mothers i'll let you guess where it goes and what section of the store has it]
it needs to go in when the lube is cooling off.

mistermog
02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I know this is going to be a hokey answer but its what I did. Make all the lube the pan can hold and then put a bullet in. Turkey baster it off into another container (old butter ones work great) until its just over the lube grooves. That way when you fill up the pan with boolits, itll be more than enough. Replace with little bits as needed. :)

midnight
02-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Seems to me the easiest way is to put less lube than you know you will need in the pan and melt it. Stand all your bullets in it leaving an open spot to add lube. Add pieces of lube and allow it to melt until you have the desired level then turn off the heat. Done.

Bob