PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a Shiloh Sharps

TXGunNut
02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Been kicking it around for several years, finally have a rifle on my wish list but a few features are tough choices. I'll probably fire a few BPCR matches w/ it so it needs to be legal for such. Mainly it'll be a hunting/target rifle/toy. So far it's an 1874 #1, 45-70, 30" std oct bbl, AA semi-fancy wood, pewter fore end, 107/111 sights, steel butt plate.
#1 Custom bedding-benefits?
#2 Rear barrel sight: I'll never use it, should I delete it?
Kicking around checkering and engraving but don't want thing$ to get out of hand here. Not sure it'll be under 12 lb, 2 oz, waiting for an answer from Shiloh on that.

L Ross
02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
The dilemma I've run into has to do with the front sight. The front sight problem is a good silver blade is just the ticket for hunting. Friends have erred trying to shoot game with an aperture front sight. But the silver blade lacks precision when shooting targets. I hate drifting the front sight on and off the rifle. You don't want to hear the best solution. Oh yeah, and skip the open rear sight, just leaves extra holes in the barrel. If you are ever going to mount a scope have them drill and tap it now. That front sight solution is another rifle.

Duke

Don McDowell
02-25-2012, 05:14 PM
No don't do away with the barrel sight. It will be your friend for hunting. Much more so than the MVA. You may need to widen the notch in the sight a touch, but you might be surprised at just how well you can shoot with that barrel sight at distances to 500 yds and beyond. I do prefer the semi buckhorn sight as , when you are shooting thru the MVA it does not interfere so badly as the full buck, when you have a lot of windage cranked in.
I would suggest going with the good buffalo soule sight for the tang sight. Having enough windage adjustment is pretty handy thing.
Depending on what type of target shooting you do, that silver blade front works pretty decent to around 700 yds, beyond that it starts to cover more target , so a deep six oclock hold becomes necessary and that doesn't do alot for accuracy. But having the globe front handy is a good thing if you want to get into some real precision shooting.

bigted
02-25-2012, 08:49 PM
i dont have it back yet but my hartford is having a little work done at the factory and among other things im having the mva beech style front installed. will report about how much i like it at a later date but the thin beech seems like the rite combo for me and when flipped down it is the blade front. something to think about. i also bought the 108 medium range rear for it but in consideration...the full buck don talks about...[which my rifle wears]...may disagree with my tang settup...will see when it comes home. ill post a photo of the whole thing when it gets here.

Don McDowell
02-25-2012, 10:11 PM
That 108 sight is a good one, I have one on my 22, but 14 minutes of windage ain't much when the wind picksup. The sight that came on my CSA 75 only had 14 minutes windage, and that can cost you a lot of hits when it takes 20-25 minutes windage,just to get on target.

TXGunNut
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
I think I'll simplify things and abandon the dual purpose rifle idea, I have plenty of good hunting rifles. I'll try buckhorn sights again after I get my new glasses but for some reason they're pretty much useless to me. I may build a business rifle if I decide I need a hunting rifle, could also use my Pedretti Sharps for hunting.
How far will the 103 mid range Buffalo Soule sights let me shoot, Don? I'm not planning on shooting further than BPCR Sillywets but would like to smack that buff in Raton next time thru.
Decided to go with the checkering, my sweaty hands will do better with them, easier on the eyes as well.

oldred
02-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I can't help with the sight but I would like to say congrats on a great choice of rifles!

TXGunNut
02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks, oldred. Been kicking this rifle around for years and decided to pull the trigger. I don't have the funds to order another any time soon so I'll have to get it right. I'm getting very close to figuring it out. So many options and each option has it's pros & cons.

Don McDowell
02-26-2012, 10:21 PM
If you meant the 102 midrange, it'll get you to 800, maybe get to 1000 with a very low front sight, and a bit of hold over.

TXGunNut
02-27-2012, 12:08 AM
No, I was referring to the 103 Mid Range Buff Soule. Oops, online catalogue error. Kinda leaning towards the 103 Long Range now but was considering the 102. Any disadvantages?

Don McDowell
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
The buffalo soule's offer 44 minutes of windage either side of zero. That extra windage can come in handy.

EDK
02-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Get the #113 front sight to go with your #107 tang sight. I bought the #112, but should have gotten the #113 on my 50X2.5. There should be an aperture that will work for hunting. It's a good idea to have them drill, tap and install MVA scope bases while they're building the rifle...saves a trip to someone to do it later.

On cosmetics, get the flat checkered steel SHOTGUN butt plate...the curved ones will hurt! I think pack hardening is preferable to the standard color case hardening. I got the AA finish on extra fancy wood...should have gotten AAA. Gussy did some nice additional stock finishing on the gun he got from Idaho Sharpshooter; it looked really good.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

smokemjoe
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Try looking at this nice one at www.kramersales.com

rr2241tx
02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Get the #113 spirit level front sight and a card of inserts that includes posts for hunting use. For target shooting, especially BPCR Silhouette, you need the windage adjustment of a Soule rear. A Hadley style eye cup will give you a big enough aperature for quick acquisition when hunting and small enough to be accurate at long range for target games in varying light conditions.

Seth Hawkins
02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Try looking at this nice one at www.kramersales.com

Someone needs to tell them that they're displaying the flag wrong. The blue field of stars should be in the upper left corner.

Don McDowell
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
That 17.5% buyers premium is enough to scare me off...

TXGunNut
02-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Talked (exchanged e-mails) w/ Lucinda @ Shiloh Sharps. She recommended the heavy octagon bbl, said it can be made to come in under max. Getting closer.

Don McDowell
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Both my #3 and the roughrider have 30 inch heavy barrels. They would make weight for sillouette if that was something deemed necessary. For general use tho I like the 32 inch standard octagon.

TXGunNut
02-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I wanted the Roughrider but opted for the cheekpiece of the #1. I don't like the looks of a cheekpiece but I get on my sights better with rifles that have them.
I'll bite, Don; for sillywet shooting w/ a 45-70 would you choose the 30 hvy or 32 standard? I'm backing away from the general porpose rifle, I'm thinking I have plenty of those already.

Don McDowell
02-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't think it'll matter much , but the heavy barrel lays down and goes to sleep in the sticks alot easier than the standard barrel.

TXGunNut
02-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I like stiff barrels and I hope the BP 45-70 can "be all it can be" in 30" but honestly don't know. Maybe I need to drop by Big Timber and see which handles better for me. As a sillywet rifle I doubt balance means much, I'm just funny that way.
Thanks for the help, Don. I'm not planning on starting a second comp shooting career but if I do I'll be holding a Shilloh Sharps. I've looked @ SASS but quite frankly I got out of PPC when the equipment requirements got out of hand. I can afford one damned fine comp gun, but not a cart full of them.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Stopped in and ordered one myself last summer. Lucinda recommended the bedding and heavy barrel. I got checkering, pistol grip and a spirit level. Lucinda was great help with the sight for me. Ordered it in .45-70. My family talked me into upgrading the wood.

Don McDowell
02-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Sass strikes me as being mostly silly games. Put some accuracy into it, skip the speed stuff, and the required arsenal it might be ok....
Trying a rifle on to fit is not a bad idea. I don't care much for the cheekpiece. Every roughrider I've ever handled just fit like a glove. I also like the #3 with the military butt, makes a good hunting gun and works reasonably well in all the positions except for prone.
Maybe you can get by a shoot somewhere nearby and check out some of the rifles the guys there are using.

TXGunNut
02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Good ideas, Don. I went to Tulsa to watch John McBride's BPCR match @ Red Castle GC awhile back. Great bunch of guys, asked lots of questions and took quite a few notes. Life got in the way and I am just now beginning to focus on BPCR's again. I think Ill drop by his March 4 match but this time I'll get a motel room. :groner:
I'm a hunter and was a longtime PPC shooter so I agree that SASS is too much about speed and equipment but I feel that is true to the gunfighter mindset. I know that the first good hit counts but apparently it's more fun the SASS/IPSC way.
Where do you shoot BPCR, Don?

TXGunNut
02-29-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm thinking yes. Opinions? Benefits?

Don McDowell
02-29-2012, 01:26 AM
I shot the buffalo matches. Mostly at Alliance Ne, Baker and Ekalaka Mt. and the Quigley.
Kenny Wasserburgers Creedmoor match is a hoot when he has it. It's on recreations of the original Creedmoor steel targets. The Wyoming Territory match in Rawlins is a hard one to shoot, the targets are small and the winds are a fright.
Was hoping to take in the Target rifle championships at Raton this year, but the load that is working so well in the roughrider is just a tad slow to make the velocity requirements.
Also hoping to take in the Golden Spike at Tremonton Ut. and if time and haying permit will try to hit Dan Cash's match at Sentinel Butte ND.

'74 sharps
02-29-2012, 05:53 PM
I always thought the pack hardening was attractive.........in for a penny, in for a pound!

Silver Jack Hammer
02-29-2012, 11:05 PM
I shouldered the different model in their showroom and picked the Mt. Roughrider without the cheek piece. Just felt better to me.

Not sure why Don McDowell posted something about SASS after my post.

Don McDowell
02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I shouldered the different model in their showroom and picked the Mt. Roughrider without the cheek piece. Just felt better to me.

Try reading the post before your post.....[smilie=b:

TXGunNut
03-01-2012, 10:55 PM

I haven't shouldered an 1874 with a cheekpiece but every other rifle I shoulder and get on the sights quickly and consistently with has a cheekpiece. I don't get a consistent cheekweld easily on a stock without it. I should be able to shoulder one of each this weekend, could very well be a different story w/ the 1874.
I brought up SASS because I love the equipment and the spirit of the game, it's just not for me. I'm simply not going to make the investment of time or money. Sorry for any confusion.

TXGunNut
03-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Went to the eye doc today, he smiled when I asked him if I'd be able to see my front sight with new lenses. All I got was a smile, we'll see. I'm afraid having to use a scope could be a deal-breaker.

Gunlaker
03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Went to the eye doc today, he smiled when I asked him if I'd be able to see my front sight with new lenses. All I got was a smile, we'll see. I'm afraid having to use a scope could be a deal-breaker.

If you have trouble with a 30" barrel, would going to a 32" or 34" barrel help you out? I've got a Shiloh Long Range Express in .45-70 with a 34" standard weight barrel. It is a bit more sensetive to how you rest it than a heavy weight barrel, but it's a pretty accurate rifle. I do quite well with it in out off hand matches even though you wouldn't think it'd make much of an off hand gun :-). I think the extra 4" of sight radius helps.

Chris.

TXGunNut
03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
If you have trouble with a 30" barrel, would going to a 32" or 34" barrel help you out? I've got a Shiloh Long Range Express in .45-70 with a 34" standard weight barrel. It is a bit more sensetive to how you rest it than a heavy weight barrel, but it's a pretty accurate rifle. I do quite well with it in out off hand matches even though you wouldn't think it'd make much of an off hand gun :-). I think the extra 4" of sight radius helps.

Chris.

I've been wondering about that. Longest barrel I have is 30" but I'd sure like to be able to shoot my leverguns as well. They start out at 16". When I could see machine marks on my front sights thru the rear sight and a fly on the target I preferred scopes. Nowadays I just want to see my front sight and be able to find the target. Youth is wasted on the young, indeed. [smilie=b:

TXGunNut
03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Headed for the range shortly, a good friend has offered to let me handle a few of his Sharps rifles in the configurations I'm considering. I'll shoot at least one of my rifles today to check on the new lenses in my glasses. Hoping I can still use peeps but I'm not as opposed to a period scope as I once was.

TXGunNut
03-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Had the pleasure of handling a couple of Sharps' belonging to a friend today. Was quite a revellation, didn't like the raised cheekpiece after all. Think I might mail a check this week. :D
New prescription was very helpful in finding the front sight and target on another rifle today. Too bad I couldn't shoot worth a damn today.

Don McDowell
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
On the recommendation of several other folks I got a set of Ron Snover's inserts, best 20$ I've spent in a long time.

Cimarron Red
03-26-2012, 01:48 AM
+1 for Ron Snover's inserts. I've been using them for eight or nine years.

TXGunNut
03-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Will they fit in a Lyman globe?
Nevermind, found them. Was wishing for a smaller aperture yesterday.

Don McDowell
03-26-2012, 11:47 PM
It'll cost you 5$ more than it does us lowly sharps style sight shooters. lol
But well worth the money.

John Boy
03-27-2012, 12:19 AM
and that can cost you a lot of hits when it takes 20-25 minutes windage,just to get on target. Don, Red River has a new Soule with 80 minutes now. And the older Soules can be converted, believe for $35

Don McDowell
03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
John , I've heard that the eyecup on the Red River sight is the best thing to come along in along time. Those 2 gib screws on the back should sure help take the slobber out of the staff when the windage drum gets worn.

TXGunNut
03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
It'll cost you 5$ more than it does us lowly sharps style sight shooters. lol
But well worth the money.

I put a Lyman 17 and a Williams receiver sight on my 94 recently, badly need some trigger time with this type of sights. Have an insert I like in my Pedretti Sharps, won't fit the Lyman globe. Guess it wouldn't hurt to load up some 45-90's to pass the time.