PDA

View Full Version : tumble vs pan lube which is best

wyoduster
02-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I just started casting in fact I have brand new molds I plan on starting today.
My question is which is best; pan lube or tumbling what ever that means???
can you tell i'm new....
I'm starting with 45 cal. boolits for my 45-70 & 45-100..
any info is good.

btroj
02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
First off, there is no bestin most aspects of shooting, cast bullets in particular.

For the cartridges ou mentioned I would go with a pan lube. What you chose for a lube depends largely upon what powder ou will use. Black powder will want a different lube in most cases than smokeless will.

mdi
02-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Tumble lube has worked in most applications (and well for me), and pan lube has worked in the use of any "standard" lube (it's just a method of applying lube to a bullet). With alox/xlox tumble lubing, you only need lube and a tub or zip-lok bag and some place to dry the bullets. With pan lubing you'll need a pan, some lube, prolly a "cookie cutter" to remove the bullets from the cake, and a method of heating the bullets/lube (I heat the bullets and lube together in a toaster oven, but I've read of different methods). Any commercial or home made "standard" lube can be used for pan lubing. Search "pan lubing" or "tumble lubing" here or google and you'll get more opinions...

wyoduster
02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Yea I've been watching Youtube, what a great reference.

Boolseye
02-25-2012, 01:56 PM
They're apples and oranges. Pan lubing applies traditional lube in traditional lube grooves, much like a lubrisizer would. Tumble lube is a Lee innovation that coats the entire bullet with a light sheen of Alox or similar substance (read 45-45-10). You can tumble-lube traditional bullets, but you can't pan lube tumble lube bullets (at least, it doesn't work too well. don't ask me how I know).

I like to use both on some bullets, pan lube first then a light coating of Alox or 45-45-10.

runfiverun
02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Yea I've been watching Youtube, what a great reference.

ummmnotreally.
some is okay, some is more like watching the stooges try to build an airplane or sumthin.

wyoduster
02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Ok just cast some and put them in this mix....

excess650
02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I was going to say that panlubing should work better in long barrels where TL may run out of lube.

If you're loading real blackpowder you'll want a lube that works with the fouling to keep it soft unless you're planning on wiping the bore between shots.

wyoduster
02-25-2012, 06:48 PM
I do shoot Black Powder ...Is there anything else???? lol
Sharps rifles; 32" & 34 " barrels.