PDA

View Full Version : 358311 hp???

jdgabbard
02-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Anyone ever HP'd one??? How did it perform?

Lefty SRH
02-25-2012, 06:57 AM
I've been told that this boolit is a good one to HP. I check into having one HP'ed and this is the response I got. This is from~~~~~ Erik at hollowpoint dot com
I'm still interested in having this HP version done if I can find another mold.

The 358311 makes an excellent HP if of a larger cavity
opening-the nose thickens fast due to the RN profile so the HP has to be
a bit bigger to be effective. Even a rather large HP doesn't pull out
too much weight, we could go large on the opening to promote expansion
but keep it relatively shallow to retain weight and only lose about
15-20 grains or so. Erik

jdgabbard
02-25-2012, 09:19 AM
That Is kinda what I had in mind. Although going his his pentagon profile, and a little deeper to promote expansion at 38spl velocities. Possibly having two sets of pins cut, one for 38spl, one for .357 the same, only cup type. I'd really like to see some test results, although I haven't seen any examples on his site.

sundog
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM
jdgabbard, I have a 358311HP mould, and some boolits already cast (I think-havta look). Never shot anything other than a few targets, so I cannot attest to terminal performance. I see no reason why they would not do well.

I am in Tulsa weekdays. PM me if you are interested in some to try, and we'll get together.

beagle
02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I have one also and I've shot it quite a bit. IMO, it's a waste of time unless you use a bigger HP cavity. It may open in a .357 Magnum but in the .38 Special, opening is kind of an iffy matter. Just not enough velocity in a .38 Special. You're much better off choosing a SWC design for HPing./beagle

Lefty SRH
02-25-2012, 04:48 PM
jdgabbard, I have a 358311HP mould, and some boolits already cast (I think-havta look). Never shot anything other than a few targets, so I cannot attest to terminal performance. I see no reason why they would not do well.

I am in Tulsa weekdays. PM me if you are interested in some to try, and we'll get together.

I have one also and I've shot it quite a bit. IMO, it's a waste of time unless you use a bigger HP cavity. It may open in a .357 Magnum but in the .38 Special, opening is kind of an iffy matter. Just not enough velocity in a .38 Special. You're much better off choosing a SWC design for HPing./beagle

What do your boolits from this HP 358311 mold weigh?

beagle
02-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Mine weigh in at 155.2 grains with lube./beagle

Lefty SRH
02-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Who did the HP conversion? How many cavities?

jmsj
02-25-2012, 06:48 PM
jdgabbard,
I had a single cavity 358311 hollow pointed for me by buckshot.
He did an awesome job. After talking w/ him, he made two different pins for this mold. One that opens up real fast and one that is more controlled in opening.
At the reccomendation of another member, I used an alloy of two parts Pb and one part WW's.
At 38 Special levels this alloy shot well but a .357 magnum levels I was getting some leading. After I put PB gas checks on, the leading at magnum levels went away. Both of the HP configuration shot pretty good and were pretty explosive on water jugs. Other things have come up and I have not got back to really working up loads for these.
Good luck, jmsj

jdgabbard
02-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Sundog, I'll hit you up about that offer when I get back into town. I'm still sitting on the other side of the world until late next month. But I would like to try some out.

Beagle, I'm guessing you went with a smaller pin, possibly for the .357? I am thinking of going with a larger pin, like mentioned above.