PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 20lb pot adjustable for height??

ihmsakiwi
02-25-2012, 03:19 AM
I am having trouble with the very close distance between the NOE mould and the spout on my 20lb Lyman Pot. The issue is the aluminium slide for the mould block is fractionally too narrow for the NOE moulds so they ride along the top of the guide rail instead of down in the flat of the guide.
I assume the legs on these were once adjustable as I see some screws on the back of the legs which I asssume held the legs at the prescribed height.
Mine is well rusted so I have the legs well lubed with penertrating oil and will try to see if they move tomorrow.
If I can't adjust them I will drill the rivet out and do away with the mould guide completely and put a block of wood underneath, or maybe reverse the guide and use the flat side.
Any one else have this problem? How did you fix it? Peter.:groner:

gandydancer
02-25-2012, 03:47 AM
I have the same lyman 20 pounder and my molds all of em fit just fine i will check it out sat and see whats what.

theperfessor
02-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I took the base off of my Mag 20, turned the mold guide over, and re-attached the base. As the OP suggested, I use the flat side of the guide. Works better for all molds that way. One of these days I will make a new one with a smooth top without any cutouts, that way I can push drips right off instead of having them get caught on the edges and interfere with mold movement under the spout.

bobthenailer
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I also use the lyman type mould guide retrofitted to my rcbs pot , for moulds that are to wide to fit the channel in the mould guide, i made a steel insert to just fit the channel with a little friction fit to hold it in place, and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the plate for the drips from the nozzel to go through to collect into a stainless condiment cup below it, so now i have a smoothe surface to sit my wide moulds on when casting.

ihmsakiwi
02-26-2012, 03:53 AM
I also use the lyman type mould guide retrofitted to my rcbs pot , for moulds that are to wide to fit the channel in the mould guide, i made a steel insert to just fit the channel with a little friction fit to hold it in place, and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the plate for the drips from the nozzel to go through to collect into a stainless condiment cup below it, so now i have a smoothe surface to sit my wide moulds on when casting.

Now why didnt I hold off for another 24 hours. I drilled the rivet out and reversed the guide but also lowered the guide so I can no longer get my incot mold underneath to catch any drips. Your fix makes more sense. I also ended up braking off a needle I use for unblocking the spout in the spout. another job to do before I can cast again. Ideas to get it out? Peter