PDA

View Full Version : Turning threads on a Large Ring Mauser...

rvpilot76
02-25-2012, 01:39 AM
...to small ring diameter. I'd like to outfit a few Turks I have with 308WIN barrels, but I can't find anything economical in a small ring offering. I guess I have two questions: one, can I turn the threads down on a large ring barrel to a small ring size without a lot of trouble, and/or can anyone point me in the direction of an economical small ring Mauser barrel in 308?

Thanks fellas,

Kevin

rvpilot76
02-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Or how about boring out and re-threading the action to receive a large-ring barrel? Just thinking out loud here, as I've never heard or seen this done before. I've got 4 rifles to do, so if anyone knows of someone who can do this, I'm all ears...

Kevin

elk hunter
02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Either solution is possible, the easiest would be to turn down the barrel shank and re-thread it. The major diameter of a large ring barrel is 1.100" the major diameter for a small ring is .980" making the small ring .120" smaller. The double depth of thread for 12 tpi, which is common to Mausers, is .108" meaning the thread should completely clean up on the large ring barrel when turned down to .980".

Hope this makes sense.

FrankG
02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
After rethreading and fitting to the action it will need the chamber corrected for headspace. I have used Remington and Winchester barrels as well as LR Mauser barrels to fit up on Turks . The take off barrels seem to be pretty plentiful and very reasonably priced .

nanuk
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
FrankG

I have been on the lookout for a 35cal (or 36cal) barrel for my SR mauser...

but up here, 35/6 cal guns are not too popular, and if they are, they certainly are not being taken off existing guns.

rvpilot76
02-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Either solution is possible, the easiest would be to turn down the barrel shank and re-thread it. The major diameter of a large ring barrel is 1.100" the major diameter for a small ring is .980" making the small ring .120" smaller. The double depth of thread for 12 tpi, which is common to Mausers, is .108" meaning the thread should completely clean up on the large ring barrel when turned down to .980".

Hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Just didn't know if anyone had done it or not.

Thank you,

Kevin

rvpilot76
02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
After rethreading and fitting to the action it will need the chamber corrected for headspace. I have used Remington and Winchester barrels as well as LR Mauser barrels to fit up on Turks . The take off barrels seem to be pretty plentiful and very reasonably priced .

So you have personally done this? Would you be willing to do it on a couple of actions if I could find a donor take-off barrel?

Kevin

flounderman
02-25-2012, 03:53 PM
you can use 700 remington takeoff barrels and thread them for the small ring mauser. remingtton threads are longer so you can use a washer between the shoulder and the receiver to keep from having to do chamber work, or you can shorten the threaded remington shank to mauser length and rechamber. couple of 722 barrels in 300 savage were going begging on ebay. I have a 700 barrel in 7 mag, threaded for the small ring I don't have an action for.

rvpilot76
02-25-2012, 06:18 PM
So do you guys think the Turk action is up to 308 pressure levels? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just bore out the action threads and re-cut them for a small-shank Savage pre-fit barrel.

Kevin

deltaenterprizes
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I have a Turk in 308 Win, and I have not had any problems.

rtracy2001
02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I have a Turk in 308 Win, and I have not had any problems.

Same here. My barrel came of a rem 700 chambered for 30-06. I got it off gunbroker and the guy cut it off, threadded it for a SR Mauser and short chambered it to 308 Win for no extra charge. The barrel cost me $60 + shipping

FrankG
02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
If yours is a K.Kale large ring with .980" threads in good condition it sure is. Im just working on another one putting a NOS Springfield 03A3 4 groove unturned blank on . I have the barrel contoured and ready for wrinkles .

I used a new in cosmo WWII machine gun barrel for a light hunting rifle with Turk in .308 .

I dont have an FFL so only do my own work but John Taylor is in Wa. state and is a member here.

elk hunter
02-25-2012, 09:48 PM
So do you guys think the Turk action is up to 308 pressure levels? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just bore out the action threads and re-cut them for a small-shank Savage pre-fit barrel.

Kevin

Kevin,

I built a 22-250, which develops lots of pressure, on one a few years ago and had no problems. The 98 Mauser gets a lot of its strength from its design, but poor metal or heat treatment would tell in short order. I wouldn't be afraid to build one in 308 if the action was sound i.e. not stretched, cracked or set back.

leadman
02-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Midway sells the Adams & Bennett short chambered barrels in large and small ring. Think the SR 308 is about $90, then you need to have the chamber finished. Reamer Rentals gets $26 for the finish reamer and $5 for the Go & No go gauges. These are threaded and contoured, ready to screw in.
Midway has info on their site that they are getting more ER Shaw barrels for the Mausers.

I build a K98 for my son with one of these barrels in 308 and it will shoot moa, but most groups ar less than 1 1/2" at 100 yards.

I bought a SR barrel from Numrich in 7.62 X 39 but both of them I got and all in stock have a ring an inch from the muzzle the is about 3/16" wide and .308". Cut it off and it should be fine.
There are some SR barrels in 6.5 X 55 that are Swedish Mauser take-offs from Gibbs Rifle Co. on Gunbroker that have been selling around $60 & up.

I have a Turk that I had a 'smith make a barrel and install it in 6.5-06 many years ago. Only problem was one day I was shooting it and the cases started to stretch and had one seperate. The barrel came loose and started to unscrew. I fixed that and it is fine now.

rvpilot76
02-26-2012, 02:34 AM
They don't have any listed in 308. Bummer.

nanuk
02-26-2012, 03:42 AM

Kevin

+1

I wonder about this also

travisg96
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a turk action re-barreled in 450Marlin and have had no problems.
Travis

flounderman
07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
there is nothing wrong with the turk actions. been using them for years. magnum calibers, standard calibers. if you want to use a barrel nut to headspace, cut the threads longer on the shank and use a nut. the advantage of the large ring turks with the small ring threads, you can take a remington 700 take off barrel and rethread for small ring mauser under the remington threads. if you want to use the remington chamber you might need a spacer washer the right thickness. no different than remington using a washer type recoil lug.

andremajic
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Just thinking out loud here, but the remington 700 action uses the washer style recoil lug, where the mauser has it a little further back on the action.

Has anyone tried using a remington barrel, with a takeoff ground remington recoil lug, with a mauser action?

You'd be able to have a double recoil lug (Stronger, but not sure if it would be redundant.) I was never too hot on the idea of a cross bolt as the only reinforcement for recoil. You wouldn't even need to use the cross bolt.

Only issue would be inletting the front of the mauser stock for an extra recoil lug.

MBTcustom
07-24-2012, 06:02 PM
What do ya call this, chopped liver?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665197/adams-and-bennett-barrel-mauser-series-3-308-winchester-f54-contour-1-in-10-twist-24-chrome-moly-in-the-white
You could certainly use a model 700 barrel and make an extra thick recoil lug, if indeed that's what it needs.
Do you have a lathe? Do you have experience single pointing threads/re-barreling rifles?
Shoot me a PM if you need some specific info/help.:drinks:

MBTcustom
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Shoot, just realized how old this thread is. Probably a mute point now anyways.