PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pics of zinc contaminated ingots?

letsmeltlead2693
02-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Anyone have pics of zinc contaminated lead ingots? Could you put the contaminated ingot next to a good ingot as a comparison?

ReloaderEd
02-25-2012, 02:25 AM
zinc is harder than lead and lead alloys and you should be able to sort it that way. Also melting temperature. Also a one pound ingot is going to weight a lot lighter than lead. thats how I would sort it out. Give us an update if you can. Be Safe

jpatm2
02-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Also a one pound ingot is going to weight a lot lighter than lead.

I would assume a one pound ingot of zinc would weigh about the same as one pound of lead. The size of the ingot, however would be different.

a.squibload
02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
On the other hand, if you have a pound of feathers...:bigsmyl2:

Try citric acid, can get a small packet of drink mix for 15¢, it's mostly citric acid.
Mix with water, apply to ingot. Will react with zinc to make bubbles, not so with lead.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83978&highlight=citric+acid+zinc+test

Also good for cleaning brass, there are some threads about that too.

evan price
02-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Toilet cleaner is often acid. "The Works" in the white bottle with the blue cap is acid and on zinc creates a strong fizzy reaction. Plus you may already have toilet cleaner in your house, or can stand to buy some. It's not expensive.

letsmeltlead2693
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Dad won't let me mess with HCl acid even though I'm 19. I'll do that citric acid test as soon as I get some citric acid.

letsmeltlead2693
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
A pound of feathers weighs the same as one pound of uranium, lead, or one pound of mercury, etc. One pound of anything is the same as one pound of another. It the the density and mass that varies.