PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weight Question

chipshot
02-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Hello to all. I am new to tthe forum and have what may seem like a dumb question. How do you guys remove the steel clip from your wheel weights? Do you cut them with a pair of cutters or just melt the weights and remove the clips from the pot?
Thanks Much
Jim

letsmeltlead2693
02-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Just melt 'em in and skim it off the molten lead.

Wolfer
02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Just melt them off. Once they get melted I'll stir in a crayon to flux then dip the clips off.

AnnieOakley
02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
You can melt them with the clips on but don't get them too hot. You need to keep your temp below 700 so you don't melt the zinc into the alloy and contaminate it. Zinc weights can be skimmed off. A strong magnet works well to remove steel. Best of luck to you!!!

cbrick
02-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits chipshot & AnnieOakley,

Yep, just melt'em, the steel clips will float like corks. Annie is correct about keeping the smelt temp at 700 degrees because the zink weights will also float before they melt, skim them off with the cork. I mean steel clips.

Rick

jonas302
They will float in the melted lead

letsmeltlead2693
Magnets won't work for molten lead because the steel will get hot enough to be past the magnet's curie temperature. Curie temperature is the temperature needed for a magnet to lose all of it magnetic properties or be demagnetized. No magnet can still attract metal at lead melting temps.

chipshot
02-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have about 2 buckets of weights that were given to me and I am planning on trying to work on them this weekend. I am sure I will have more questions *** I get into this. Thanks again
Jim

alfloyd
02-25-2012, 12:33 AM
I remove steel clips with a magnet all the time from melted lead in my lead pot. Just be sure that the magnet does not have a plastic part on it. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Lafaun

bumpo628
02-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Get a slotted stainless steel spoon at a thrift store for $1 and you'll be in business.
Also, you should use sawdust to flux and the clips will come out pretty clean.

220swiftfn
02-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Get a slotted stainless steel spoon at a thrift store for $1 and you'll be in business.
Also, you should use sawdust to flux and the clips will come out pretty clean.

Wow, I feel "high dollar" now...... I use a King Kooker skimmer (for skimming clips and for sifting the carp at the bottom of the WW buckets!!!:idea:)

Dan

letsmeltlead2693
02-25-2012, 03:18 AM
I think we all suffer from lead don't we as we can't type really doog at all. :)

Bullet Caster
02-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits, chipshot and AnnieOakley. Stick around for a wealth of information available to you here. I'd do like the above stated suggestions. Have fun and welcome to the ADDICTION. BC

ioon44
02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
I use a 4" magnet on a 3' handle and use welding gloves to pull the clips off and into a metal bucket. I do this really fast.

AnnieOakley
02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Magnets won't work for molten lead because the steel will get hot enough to be past the magnet's curie temperature. Curie temperature is the temperature needed for a magnet to lose all of it magnetic properties or be demagnetized. No magnet can still attract metal at lead melting temps.

I would not have mentioned it, had we not tried it with success. You are not leaving your magnet in the pot very long, just quickly skimming the top.

letsmeltlead2693
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
If you use a magnet, use a samarium cobalt, alnico, or a ceramic magnet for picking up steel in a pot of molten lead. These magnets have high higher temperature tolerances and the heat won't affect them if you use them quick as mentioned.

Echo
02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't believe anyone mentioned it before, but I hope you are smelting/rendering in another container and not in your casting furnace.

AR-15 Cowboy
02-26-2012, 02:52 AM
I was afraid to use a magnet. I thought it might pull something up too fast and throw lead all over me. The lesson I learned with wheel weights was to use a old furnace and do it outside. Especially the stick on type. The adhesive smells bad and flames up.

chipshot
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I sorted and melted some of the ww today. Fluxed w/ saw dust and cast about 24 lbs of ingots. Also cast 28 of the best looking bullets that I have done to date. I just wanted to say Thanks again for the help and good advice.
I think I am on my way now.
Jim