PDA

View Full Version : A Piddley Teeny Marlin came home today!

Old Goat Keeper
02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Tis true folks I found me a Marlin 39 TDS .22 and it came home today! For them who don't know what a TDS is it is a (T)ake (D)own (S)pecial model in .22. Also the barrel is only 16" long. That's the piddley teeny part. I shot it a bunch and it IS very sweet.

T-o-m

slide
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Good for you.

6pt-sika
02-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Congrats , when I was collecting Marlin's I wanted one of those but I never bought one !
Did you get the case with it as well ?

smoked turkey
02-25-2012, 01:22 AM
That sounds very neat. I wonder if pictures could be coming?

Bullet Caster
02-25-2012, 02:36 AM
I just checked Cheaper Than Dirt and they had a little take down model that the bbl. stores into the buttstock and the stock floats. It was a teeny little .22 RF. Held something like 10 rnds. IICR. BC

stubshaft
02-25-2012, 03:04 AM
I just checked Cheaper Than Dirt and they had a little take down model that the bbl. stores into the buttstock and the stock floats. It was a teeny little .22 RF. Held something like 10 rnds. IICR. BC

You are thinking of the old AR-7 semi auto.

montana_charlie
02-25-2012, 03:47 PM
You are thinking of the old AR-7 semi auto.
I remember that one!
In "From Russia With Love" James Bond used one to 'snipe' a bad guy about 150 yards away, while he was messing with a Russian lady defector in Istanbul Turkey.

CM

Four Fingers of Death
02-25-2012, 07:40 PM
The AR7 got banned here not long after it came out. They were very popular until that. Apparently you could fire a round without the barrel in place. The cops decided criminals would be using it for nasty reasons and insisted that it be banned. We only have one Police Force for every State and as a result of this, the Police Commissioners can (and do) exert a lot of influence on politics and politicians. The fact that the bullet would not develop any serious pressure and would be impossibly imaccurate did not count. We couldn't have the shooters confusing the issue with facts.

stubshaft
02-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Good score T-O-M. I have had mine for over 45 years and it is still going strong. I use it to teach kids how to shoot because it feels mansize and has no recoil to speak of.

Four Fingers of Death
02-25-2012, 10:05 PM
My mate lived in Paddington an inner suburb of Sydney and it is very built up. We used to shoot out of his upstairs back bedroom window with one and the other would wait in the lane behind his house. There was an old building which had a decorative ledge running along it where the pidgeons used to roost. The lane was used as a walkway by a lot of people. The cockatoo (what we calll a lookout) would give a nod when there were no pedestrians, the sniper would shoot a pidgeon, the cockatoo would see which was the rifle was pointed and move under it, deftly catching the pidgeon (wringing it's neck if necessary) and popped it into a bag. After we got a feed we would move inside, start the beer drinking, get the charcoal fire going and clean and prepare the birds while his Italian wife prepared the veges! Hunting in the inner city!

Old Goat Keeper
02-25-2012, 11:15 PM
6pt when it is packed up to travel you would think I had a custom pool cue in that sack cept for the Marlin on one side! Yup I have the case and they are getting me a copy of the owners manual. Looks to have been shot very little.

T-o-m

Congrats , when I was collecting Marlin's I wanted one of those but I never bought one !
Did you get the case with it as well ?

Four Fingers of Death
02-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Looks to have been shot very little.T-o-m

Not that it matters, almost impossible to wear those critters out! Nice rifle.

Boerrancher
02-26-2012, 12:03 PM
My mate lived in Paddington an inner suburb of Sydney and it is very built up. We used to shoot out of his upstairs back bedroom window with one and the other would wait in the lane behind his house. There was an old building which had a decorative ledge running along it where the pidgeons used to roost. The lane was used as a walkway by a lot of people. The cockatoo (what we calll a lookout) would give a nod when there were no pedestrians, the sniper would shoot a pidgeon, the cockatoo would see which was the rifle was pointed and move under it, deftly catching the pidgeon (wringing it's neck if necessary) and popped it into a bag. After we got a feed we would move inside, start the beer drinking, get the charcoal fire going and clean and prepare the birds while his Italian wife prepared the veges! Hunting in the inner city!

Only an Aussie would come up with something like that. My Aussie mate Ian Malcome that I served with in Afghanistan has thousands of stories similar to the above. I love stories like that, as it just goes to prove that if there is a will there is a way. Thanks for sharing it.

Best wishes,

Joe

Katya Mullethov
02-26-2012, 02:06 PM
In the inaugural issue of one local fish wrapper was an article written by Daisy the Dog , a Black Lab judging by the photo , in which she opined of an epiphany she had while watching Enemy at the Gates .After comparing the Nazi siege of Stalingrad with her never ending battle with city folk abandoning cats , she went into great detail on her study of the proper use of an open window as a suppressor for a 10/22 when hunting racoons ,squirrels , and feral cats in your backyard . She covered backstops , ammo selection , and a stern warning on lead styphnate & scope relief ie: not shooting the bottom of your window frame out .

http://m.caller.com/news/2012/feb/16/committee-proposes-ordinance-legalizing-feral-in/

Not to malign the breed , but Labs are like that .

frkelly74
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
As a matter of fact I did shoot out the bottom of a window screen once. It was well below the line of sight through the scope and it didn't occur to me that it might be in the way. Words of wisdom too late.