PDA

View Full Version : made some lube

tuckerdog
02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
3 large candles 1 large container petroleum jelly 1 container carnuba car wax.

So far no leading & good accuracy, smell good to, cinnamon candles from oddlots.
Only used in 44mag so far, going to try .22 6mm and 30cal long guns
see what happens.

consistency a little stiffer than alox sticks and not as tackey. All bought at oddlots for under 20$ filled 2qt double boiler enough to last a looong time

Ben
02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey, if it works for you, stay with it.

Ben

Mrbrent
02-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Me too, here is a pic of my first batch of Bens Red from today.

http://gkosin.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Other/i-PcjnMnD/0/L/lube-L.jpg

wyoduster
02-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I was recommended beeswax,crisco and olive oil ... As a Newbie I'm a little confused..

ubetcha
02-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Someone stated at one time not to use a carnuba car wax due to the possibily of an abrasive used in the wax that is intended to remove paint oxidation on the vehicle.

high standard 40
02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Someone stated at one time not to use a carnuba car wax due to the possibily of an abrasive used in the wax that is intended to remove paint oxidation on the vehicle.

This would be my concern as well. There is also very little actual carnauba in most car wax. I believe more of the total volume is largely solvents with some abrasives.

fatboy
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
that abrasive is part of the poor mans rebore kit, it makes your trusty 44 a trusty 45 in no time!!!

Longwood
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
that abrasive is part of the poor mans rebore kit, it makes your trusty 44 a trusty 45 in no time!!!

You got me to wondering.
How many millions of bullets with a small percentage of Carnuba wax in the lube do you think it would it take to ruin a barrell?

mdi
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
The abrasives may or may not be abrasive to barrel steel. I've seen the ingredient "abrasive" listed as clay. Harder than auto paint, but softer than barrel steel...

Your lube sounds similar to Darr lube with caranuba added.

nanuk
02-25-2012, 01:11 PM
we have two kinds available here

one is pure carnauba wax, the other is the wax "Cleaner" which is the one IIRC that has the abrasives.

order your carnauba from RandyRat here on the forums, and you'll know you are getting the "good" Stuff

tuckerdog
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
definatly not cleaner wax watched out for that one, been looking for a good lube that I can store lubed boolits short term(a few days) without having half the lube stick to the other half like alox does
so far so good

fryboy
02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
carnuba it's self isnt a problem , well unless you o.d. it on it , it will make a lube harder , to the point of brittleness if you want to take it that far , it's pretty easy to make a crayon lube , merely use heat to apply but it doesnt hurt to add something to add flex to offset some of the brittleness , about any recipe we see can just have a higher wax percentage and the less demanding the desired loading the less demanding the lube , i would check the m.s.d.s. on that car wax tho