PDA

View Full Version : Junk yard stop

Dunce0511
02-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Stopped at the local junk yard today ask if they had any lead or wheel weights. Owner showed me a bucket of wheel weights then said he had cable sheathing and some sprint car weights. Looked through the bucket and had a hand full of zn and fe in about two minutes.
So I left the bucket and bought all the sheathing and sprint car weights 160lbs for .50 a pound. Time to get the fryer out

Philngruvy
02-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Stopped at the local junk yard today ask if they had any lead or wheel weights. Owner showed me a bucket of wheel weights then said he had cable sheathing and some sprint car weights. Looked through the bucket and had a hand full of zn and fe in about two minutes.
So I left the bucket and bought all the sheathing and sprint car weights 160lbs for .50 a pound. Time to get the fryer out

I would be suspect about the sprint car weights. I bet they have zinc wheel weights melted into them along with the lead.

Dunce0511
02-25-2012, 12:19 PM
The weights were made back in the 70's so I hope they don't..Will keep that batch seperated when pouring small ingots.
Hit a recyclers today a got 200 lbs of soil pipe joints. Think I'll melt and pour by type
Thanks for the heads up as I never even thought about it.

Longwood
02-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I would be more worried about the weights being made from Lead acid (and lots of other stuff) auto batteries.

Alan in Vermont
02-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I would be more worried about the weights being made from Lead acid (and lots of other stuff) auto batteries.

Yeah, so what if they are?

Longwood
02-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, so what if they are?

According to what I have read here, batteries contain several harmful materials.
Word is, a good whiff by a pet or person can kill.

I have no idea about the privatly cast sprint car weights made back in the 70's.
The only weights I ever saw on race cars were the big 50 pound pigs of pure lead.

AndyC
02-25-2012, 01:31 PM
There's a good sticky on car batteries near the top of this sub-forum - interesting read:

Why car batteries are dangerous (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138362)

imashooter2
02-25-2012, 02:32 PM
So... As I understand it, the recovery of lead from car batteries is dangerous.

If the lead was already recovered by some other poor ******* it would seem to me to pose no risk to future users.

I stand ready to be corrected...

DLCTEX
02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Some contaminants, like cadmium, will still be present in the ingots.

runfiverun
02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
the contaminents don't just go away cause they were melted once.

Bill*
02-25-2012, 04:00 PM
sorry.asked and answered above

Alan in Vermont
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
As I follow the whole "dangerous battery" thing it is limited to the modern "maintenance free" variety. Based on that I wouldn't be real concerned about battery lead from the 70s. For that matter I'm not real concerned about a lot the current "THOU SHALT NOT" warnings that seem to involve just about everything we eat/drink/do.

Longwood
02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
As I follow the whole "dangerous battery" thing it is limited to the modern "maintenance free" variety. Based on that I wouldn't be real concerned about battery lead from the 70s. For that matter I'm not real concerned about a lot the current "THOU SHALT NOT" warnings that seem to involve just about everything we eat/drink/do.

Well, in that case, don't worry about spraying brake cleaner thgrough a flame. It will probably only burn pretty.
Right?

Alan in Vermont
02-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Hey, don't get snotty. Some things are dangerous and require proper care but not every warning is worth the paper it is printed on. You can worry yourself sick over every warning even if it is only there to satisfy the legal department and that's OK with me. I used to recover battery lead. I don't do that now because of the dangers with the cadmium issue. But I sure wouldn't pass up any old lead because it "might" be bad for me if I concentrated the fumes and inhaled them or ground a bunch of it up and topped my ice cream with it.

William Yanda
02-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, everything is known to the State of CA to cause cancer. If you force mice to swim in it 24/7 and subsist on nothing else.