PDA

View Full Version : What do I have

joed
03-19-2007, 07:24 PM
OK, what is this? Recently someone gave me some molds that they had sitting around. There are a few items that I'm unsure of what they are.

I suspect they are used for making jacketed bullets but I'm guessing. And what would I need to make these? Think there were 3 of these in the box.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/jzurinda/lyman2.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/jzurinda/lyman1.jpg

wiljen
03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Yep, what you have a core molds for making J-word bullets. Now you just need the jacket materials and a press to swage them in.

floodgate
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
joed:

Your suspicion is correct: these are Lyman / Ideal "core" moulds for making the lead or alloy cores to be inserted into gilding metal jacket cups and swaged into jacketed or half-jacket bullets. This was an alternative to cutting the cores from extruded lead wire, which was the more common practice. They will cast (obviously) under-sized relative to the marked ".30 cal.", etc., to allow for jacket wall thickness, and for "swaging-up" in diameter to keep the elastic jacket tight on the soft, inelastic core.

Lyman made these in .22, .30, .38, .44 and .45 for a brief period from 1960 through 1968, when home swaging was in vogue. I have these in the .30 and .38 cal. sizes, and would be interested in adding the .44, .45 and - especially - the .22 core moulds to my collection of "weird and wonderful" Lyman / Ideal moulds. Though they were cut on the "small" size mould blocks, they were packed in the larger double-cavity boxes to accomodate the extra parts to adjust the length of the core.

There is still interest in swaging, and tools, core material and jackets can be gotten from several sources. Search this forum for "Swaging", etc., and you should turn up several discussions on the subject.

Have fun!

floodgate

joed
03-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Floodgate, that was excellent knowledge. I have 3 of these I think in various sizes. The others do not have a box so I have no idea what size they are. Don't think I have the interest in making jacketed bullets though.

How can I find out what the other sizes are?

JoeD

floodgate
03-20-2007, 01:31 AM
joed:

The .30 cal. should have a small "30 S" (I'm not sure what the "S" stands for here,but it appears on my .30 and .38 core moulds) stamped on one of the blocks, and the others should have the corresponding numbers. Or, if you wish to check the diameter with calipers, they should measure: .22 - 0.186"; .30 - 0.239"; .38 - 0.316"; .44 - 0.392"; and .45 - 0.410". Clearly, they "size up" quite a bit in swaging.

floodgate

TAWILDCATT
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I have the 38 & 44 size.they also worked in the C & H swageing tool.I did not have reason to use them for jackets but swaged 38 cast/lubed bullets.

floodgate
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
TAWILDCATT;

If you ever decide to part with the .44 core mould, PM me (maybe to finance one of the Group Buys???)

floodgate