PDA

View Full Version : Need Lortone QT12 help!

cheese1566
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Good news/bad news
Good news: I got my stainless pins from STM in a quick fashion. Very happy with them!

Bad news: I found that my Lortone QT12 rubber drum is cracking!

I found small cracks in the rubber disc lid and if you slightly push on the bottom of the drum inward, the flat bottom is cracking too! Nothing showing on the outside, and the sides are stiff. Eeeek!

What to do? I really don't want to drop $80 on a replacement.

So far, it looks to be holding media and water. Just don't know how long it will last.

I would buuy some metal paint cans for a new drum, but they are too skinny.
I may have to build one from PVC pipe...

lbaize3
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
How about that spray stuff they advertise on TV that water proofs screen doors? A black kinda rubber spray. I haven't tried any of that stuff, but it might work for you.

bobthenailer
02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
The lid seals arent to expensive , Ive have 2 lortens a QT-6 and a QT-12 the QT -6 has been used alot for over 35 years as i clean my fired casings every time. the QT-12 i picked up about 5 years ago in excellent used condtion for $25.00, What a bargin !

edsmith
02-27-2012, 02:21 AM
I think that stuff they sell on tv is really bed liner

45-70bpcr
02-29-2012, 10:10 AM
What about rubber cement that has the brush built into the cap? Not sure how well it would hold up though. Can you seal the cracks from the outside? RTV silicone?

I'm in a similar fix with my rcbs sidewinder. The drum is old and slips. Drums for it are $80. I bought my Lortone QT12 for $35 used and so far it is working great for my wet ceramic tumbling.

Good luck!

docone31
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
You can use PVC pipe.
Get the size that fits, put a screw cap on one end, and another on the opposite end. Schedule 40 lasts a long time.

Sonnypie
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Well, Ya know... stuff wears out.
$80 and be up and running new sounds better than a whole new machine.

I know nothing about a Lortone. But maybe a drum liner from another brand that is less costly could be used?

Painting anything on or in it is asking for disaster down the road. The nature of it is to grind up foreign substances.

Up in Wyoming the Mill I worked at had a rubber shop that would burn out and reline sand pumps and piping.
But I don't have any idea where you would find such a service now.
You could start here. (http://www.bing.com/search?pc=Z129&form=ZGAADF&install_date=20111222&q=Rubber+lining+replacement) But I think it would be more expensive than, Ahem... biting the bullet and getting a proper replacement.

PS: Flex Seal is just expensive automotive undercoating.

45-70bpcr
02-29-2012, 05:09 PM
"Well, Ya know... stuff wears out.
$80 and be up and running new sounds better than a whole new machine."

You are right. What is it about some of us cast bullet guys? I am really bad. I have been watching for a "deal" on a new drum for my sidewinder for probably 3 years. Some day I'll find a used one for $30 and think I did good but not really when you count the time and headaches of putting up with the worn out one for years. It will probably slip worse than the one I have :-)