PDA

View Full Version : African Rifles And Cartridges

Jim
02-24-2012, 07:48 PM
A very good friend recently gave me a first edition copy of John 'Pondoro' Taylor's book. An excellent read! I really enjoy the old books, the writing style was so well done back then.

btroj
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
It is an interesting read. I findit most interesting that the expanding bullets of the period were just not relaible. Some didn't open, some open too much, some fell apart.
We are truly blesses with excellent expanding bullets these days. We have bullets that will open reliably yet stay together and drive deep. The days of needing a 375 to hunt kudu are long since gone.

wilit
02-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I just finished reading The Man-eaters of Tsavo by Col. John Henry Patterson. It's his journal of his time in Africa building the railroad, part of the journal later being made into the movie The Ghost and the Darkness. It's a good read as he did quite a bit of hunting while there. Crazy to think that a .303 at 40 yards would shatter on the hide of a rhino.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

338RemUltraMag
02-24-2012, 08:34 PM
John Taylor's writings is what made me buy the 416 Rigby instead of a 458 Lott.

waksupi
02-24-2012, 09:00 PM
We are truly blesses with excellent expanding bullets these days. We have bullets that will open reliably yet stay together and drive deep. The days of needing a 375 to hunt kudu are long since gone.

We call them :cbpour:! [smilie=s:

stubshaft
02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I re-read it periodically and always enjoy it.

1Shirt
02-24-2012, 09:35 PM
All of the books on African hunting are at least good if not excellent. If you have been to Africa, you can realize just how good Taylors' book is in fact. Don't over look Raurk's "Use enough Gun", and Corbets "Man Eaters of Kamon". Probably misspelled a whole bunch of names. Of recent books on Africa, I highly recommend "The Last Safari". Lastly, my PH in Zimbabwe turned me on to fiction writer "Wilber Smith", and his series on an African family called the Courtneys. Super reading, and you can get them cheap on e-bay.
1Shirt!

stubshaft
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey Jim,
I just wanted to let you know that alot of the cartridges can be fired from an Encore...

smoked turkey
02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I too enjoy reading about hunting Africa. I am sure that most have seen the current issue of NRA's Rifleman. There is a great article by Harry Selby-"No Ordinary Rifle" detailing using a Remington Model 721 in .30-06. The '06 is truly one great cartridge.

02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
A good friend lent me the book, about 15-years-ago, and thoroughly enjoyed. Also, I've read many of Capstick's books, and The Maneaters of Tsavo (a recent free Kindle download, for an upcoming second reading).

I'd like to read Ruark and Roosevelt's African Game Trails.

Jim
02-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Wilit, I've read 'Man-Eaters of Tsazo' also. Another very good book.

Ric, I'm still looking for that classic line you quote in your signature.

1Shirt, I'll check those out, thanks!

Stub, no breaks, right? :bigsmyl2:

Smoked Turkey, I agree, completely! The '06 is, without doubt or debate, the most versatile caliber ever designed!

462, I have read 'African Game Trails' about three times now as well as most of Capstick's works.

Olevern
02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Jim,

Over the years, I've somehow come into possession of a .375 H&H mag and two .458 Win Mags. If you like, I can bring them down the next time I come and let you shoot them (Factory 500 grain solids are an eye opener)

Boz330
02-25-2012, 04:25 PM
All of the books on African hunting are at least good if not excellent. If you have been to Africa, you can realize just how good Taylors' book is in fact. Don't over look Raurk's "Use enough Gun", and Corbets "Man Eaters of Kamon". Probably misspelled a whole bunch of names. Of recent books on Africa, I highly recommend "The Last Safari". Lastly, my PH in Zimbabwe turned me on to fiction writer "Wilber Smith", and his series on an African family called the Courtneys. Super reading, and you can get them cheap on e-bay.
1Shirt!

Wilber Smith wrote a bunch of those type of books. I got hooked on his books when I was working in South Africa. He ties a lot of his books in with actual history of Africa. I can honestly say that I never read anything he wrote that I didn't like.

Bob

Trey45
02-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I feel the same way about Robert Ruark's books, I've never read anything of his that I didn't enjoy.

1Shirt
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
If you liked Raurk, you will goe ape over Wilber Smith!
1Shirt!

kbstenberg
02-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I put a location in my favorites that has a lot of out of print African books an magazine articles.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=109178&an=0&page=0#Post109178

BruceB
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Yes, Wilbur Smith's books are excellent.

If one really wants to actually FIND his books, it would help to SPELL HIS NAME CORRECTLY. It's W-I-L-B-U-R...every mention of his name on this thread until now is spelled wrongly.

In spite of those who believe otherwise, spelling DOES matter. If that makes me a "nazi", that's just too bad. "Facts is facts"!

Johnny_Cyclone
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
"Temple Tiger" - Jim Corbett
"Use enough Gun" - Robert Ruark

Those were some of the books that fired up my imagination as a youth.

I loaned them out last year to a friend. He read from them to his three little boys each night before bed. Said the boys really liked going to bed, and didn't want momma to read to them anymore. Dads bedtime stories were the best... ;-)

He did say that he performed a few "parental edits" here and there as he read along..[smilie=1:

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I read Robert Ruarks books the summer I was nine years old. It took me forty-nine years to make my first trip to Africa, Zimbabwe to be exact, in December of 2008.

His quote "Cape Buffalo simply look at you as if you owe them money..." was the driving force behind my first hunt. Elephant are even more intimidating.

God willing, in sixty-one days I will be headed back to South Africa.

There just IS something about African Safaris...

Rich

10x
02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I just finished reading The Man-eaters of Tsavo by Col. John Henry Patterson. It's his journal of his time in Africa building the railroad, part of the journal later being made into the movie The Ghost and the Darkness. It's a good read as he did quite a bit of hunting while there. Crazy to think that a .303 at 40 yards would shatter on the hide of a rhino.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this heads up.
Had to get a kindle app and downloaded yesterday morning.

What other titles are available for kindle

and kobo?

BTW: Ipad is the universal reader with the right app. Got a Kobo and it may well be up for sale soon.

K Bell used a 7x57 and 303 on elephant with a great deal of success.
A fellow I met who used to be a police officer in rural S. Africa used a 12 gauge with Slugs in an 870 pump.

I read Frederick Selous books on African big game prior to going to Namibia and Zulu Natal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Selous

Mostly good reading - the lists of kills drag a bit...

waksupi
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Search through
http://www.archive.org/index.php
http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/
http://openlibrary.org/
http://www.manybooks.net/
Quite a bit of Africa hunting there

StrawHat
02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
"Hunter" by John Hunter is also a good read.

Greg B.
02-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Hemmingway's "Green Hills of Africa" is another good book.

Greg B.