PDA

View Full Version : ruger hawkeye

milltownhunter
02-24-2012, 07:25 PM
i am looking a a ruger hawkeye in 416 ruger to carry in grizzly county with out a scope i have a ruger 416 rigby with a 3x9 scope that just weights to much to carry into the high lakes and do not want to take of the scope sent it shoot 5/8 '' goups a 100 yards hows the quality compared to the high end rugers and any coments on the 416 ruger round

snowwolfe
02-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Own a close sister to what you are asking about and that is a lefty stainless 375 Ruger. It is a nice package, good trigger, short barrel. Handles very well and is pretty accurate with decent iron sights. It is now bedded in a McMillan stock and is a very weather proof rifle. The only issue I had with it is if I tried to feed the rounds slowly the secon in the magazine would some times hang up. If I worked the bolt fast, no issues.
Had my smith polish the feed ramp and it helped a lot.
Have heard the 416 is more prone to feeding issues but that is an internet rumor. True or not? I can't say.

375RUGER
02-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I have a Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger. I've had no issues with it. It's a really nice gun.

Heavy lead
02-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a 375 Alaskan and it's a very accurate rifle, wish it had two more inches of barrel, but it's handy, the buttstock has a pound of birdshot in a canvas bag, it'll come out during a hunt though.
I've got the big Rigby too, a wonderful rifle, but you are right very heavy and cumbersome.

lead chucker
03-01-2012, 01:45 AM
I have a ruger compact 308 it's a hawkeye I know it's not a heavy mag cartridge, but it shoots nice tight groups I would buy another one.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm in the same group as Lead Chucker.

I don't have one of the big boys, but do have a .300 nwin. mag on a stainless Hawkeye, and the barrel is really nice and it shoots very well.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
When Ruger first brought out the 375 in the Hawkeye, there was quite a discussion about its use in the Alaska bush. Shortly thereafter, at the request and demand of several Alaska and Africa hunters, the natural 416 wildcat was standardized. If I read correctly between the lines in the OP question, I'm not sure of the need for a relatively long range bear hunting gun when the original premise is bear protection- which by definiton is a relatively close range proposition?? To each his own on that point. But aside from that, both of the cartridges are of good, sound design.

I do know that because of the wetter "north country" use for the new Ruger big calibers (not just Africa), Ruger came out with the synthetic-stocked versions. As far as the wood-stocked Hawkeye??- I know that both the 375 and 416 produce enough recoil that a heavy stock would be a plus for me. The Ruger Hawkeye wood stocks I've handled seemed a little on the light/weak side for either the 375 or 416- especially for rough and tumble use. Also, I know that they have cracked under recoil- and not uncommonly when used in conjunction with contraptions like the lead sled. The only thing I didn't particularly like about the Hawkeye action (and maybe it is just me!) was that the safetly lever seemed a tad small or unhandy or something.

Also, forgot to add. "how do they compare to high end Rugers?" Hmmm. Didn't know there were high end Rugers or low end Rugers. Dunno about that one. Since they are push feed with external claw extractor, I'd think they'd all be about the same. No reason the 416 version would be any more vulnerable to feeding problems than the 375. The 416 has less shoulder so should be smoother. If I were to set one up for short range, open sight use, as has been posted, I'd put it on a good synthetic stock, cut the barrel off to maybe 22" and use wide shallow vee express rear sight. OR more likely just carry a good short barreled shotgun and large canister of bear spray.

MGySgt
03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
How do you spell Lever gun in 45/70 with a gost ring on the rear and a good post on the front.

The Guide Gun is short and handy (yes it is LOUD), but very quick to put 2 or 3 rounds on target like right now!

If you don't hand load, garret and buffalo bore create some good loads for marlins and such.

Greg B.
03-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi 405,

As I understand it the new Mk 2 Ruger bolt actions are all controlled round feed with the front of the claw extractor bevelled to snap over the rim of a cartridge if it was placed in the chamber by hand. The old Model 77 was as you describe. My Ruger Magnum rifle in .416 Rigby is controlled round feed and is barrel heavy and weighs about 10 lbs. If I was going to hunt grizzley this is the rifle that would go with me. For bear protection I can see somebody wanting a shorter, lighter rifle or shot gun.

Greg B.

AK Caster
03-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Since they are push feed with external claw extractor, I'd think they'd all be about the same.

What is the difference between a Ruger with "push feed with external claw extractor" and a Win 70 controlled round feed?

Am I mistaken to believe the Hawkeyes are a controlled round feed action?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-24-2012, 08:50 PM
A fully, "controlled feed", such as the old military and some commercial actions, were designed to be fed from only the mag. and not with a round laying on the follower or in the chamber.

The extractor simply would not snap over the rim if you tried to close the bolt on a chambered round.

Then some actions/bolts were designed to feed in the controlled manner, but also the extractor would push a round laying on the follower into the chamber and then because of the design of the extractor, it would snap over the rim of the cartridge for extraction.

AS I recall, the reason for the totally controlled design was to prevent a cartridge being placed in the chamber, then the shooter doing a full cycle of the bolt handle and bringing up a second round from the mag. which would then jam in behind the already chambered round.

Making there be only one way to get a round chambered and the bolt closed was just one way to prevent a goof up in the heat of battle,

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi 405,

As I understand it the new Mk 2 Ruger bolt actions are all controlled round feed with the front of the claw extractor bevelled to snap over the rim of a cartridge if it was placed in the chamber by hand. The old Model 77 was as you describe. My Ruger Magnum rifle in .416 Rigby is controlled round feed and is barrel heavy and weighs about 10 lbs. If I was going to hunt grizzley this is the rifle that would go with me. For bear protection I can see somebody wanting a shorter, lighter rifle or shot gun.

Greg B.

Yes, the new MK2 remodel of the 77 is CRF. There are some early MK2s that were not. I imagine all the current production Hawkeyes are CRF. I don't know that one is superior to the other in the Ruger line. Since the OP already has a Ruger in 416 Rigby and looking at an open sighted, portable, dangerous game, short range stopper (I guess that was the intent of the original question) and asked about the current Ruger Hawkeye in 416 Ruger I'd till opt for a synthetic stock and cut the barrel to 22". My personal choice for a rifle for that very specific purpose if going to that much trouble would be a Win 70 CRF in 458WM in a synthetic stock with a 22" barrel. (My personal choice for bear protection still remains a short barreled shotgun and large canister of bear spray). Now neither the 458 nor the 416 set up as a lighter weight, portable rifle would be any fun at all to shoot!!! Just getting used to shooting one accurately while under stress and being fast and accurate with follow up shots could be a deal breaker.