PDA

View Full Version : Another day at the range

idahoron
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I went out today to shoot my Hot Rod Hawken again.
Last week I tried a new bullet that kicked ***. I got a RCBS 11mm mould. It pours a 409 grain bullet that is .446" with lead that is about 6 BHN hardness. I paper Patch them to fit my .451 Green Mountain Hawken.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/RCBS11mm405gr446.jpg

I shot three shots no cleaning. They did good so I tried another but it went a little wide. My first 100 yard group last week was this one.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/RCBS11mmgroup1-1.jpg

I adjusted my sights a bit and shot another 100 yard group that was even better.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/RCBS11mmgroup2.jpg

I wanted to try some more that were a bit harder. So last week I poured up two new batches of harder lead. One batch was about 8.5 BHN and the second batch was 9.5 BHN hard. Today I only got to try the 8.5 hardness. I shot a group using 80 gr of Pyrodex P and no over powder wad. It was ok somewhere in the 3" range at 100 yards. I decided to try an over powder wad, so I adjusted my sights from last weeks group. I shot two shots and wow that was good. SO I cleaned the gun and this time I was shooting for group. I cleaned between each shot. In this picture The tape is covering the first two shots. This three shot group is .858" If I were to peel off the tape the group for all 5 shots would be still under 1" group.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/RCBSgroupCleanbetweenshots.jpg

I also had a Limb Saver recoil pad installed. I had a gun smith do this one because I wanted the stock cut and a part of the brass left in place.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/HawkenwithRecoilpad3.jpg

This gives me a better length but also WOW it helps on the recoil. The next time I go out I plan to try the 9.5 BHN hardness bullets but I think I found the golden ticket. Ron

RhodeHunter
02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Awesome accuracy!!

That's a heavy boolit - didn't know they have water buffalo in Idaho. :)

I'm real new to this game so don't mind me. Why "P" instead of "RS" on the Pyrodex?

idahoron
02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I used to use Pyrodex Select RS for years. I had one rifle that started to get hang fires due to the granules not flowing into the area under the nipple. I switched to the P and cut back loads and worked them from there. I have found that accuracy with the P has been outstanding.
Since Idaho won't let me use this load for elk, this rifle and load will be used for Deer and Antelope. Penetration should not be a problem. Ron

Fly
02-24-2012, 06:30 PM
It's post as yours as to why I love this form.We share ideas & thats what makes the
net so great.idahoron you already had that thing shooting great.Now you have upped
this thing.

Thanks buddy for sharing this great info.
Fly

Omnivore
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
THAT is impressive accuracy.

409 grains? I can understand the shoulder pad. That's a light rifle. What is that, about a 30" barrel? What's the twist?

I have that same rear tang sight. Just put it on my 50 cal Deerstalker and tried it out once-- cloverleaf at 50 yards whereas I'd get ~2 - 3" with the original blade rear sight and my oldish eyes. Very nice, but I still have the original bead front sight. How do you like the Lyman front sight? You're obviously doing very well with it.

idahoron
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
That mould is supposed to throw 370 gr but with softer lead it is a bit heavier. I think the length is 28" I am not with it now to measure it. I do have the lyman globe but I have Lee Shavers BPCR inserts. They are much better inserts. I have used this same set up in my 50 to hang tags a several big game animals. I hope i get a tag this year so I can use this load. The rate of twist is 1-30 on this rifle. By all rights this is not quite fast enough but they are stable out to 150 yards.

Fly,your welcome. I enjoy getting the kinks out of a rifle and load. I plan to do more testing with the harder lead and go out to 200 yards with it. I want to get that done before the spring winds start. Ron

451 Pete
02-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Ron,
Those are some very impressive groups. It looks like you have a winning combination there and that is something to be very proud of. The thing that I enjoyed reading about the most in your post was the last line.

" The next time I go out I plan to try the 9.5 BHN hardness bullets but I think I found the golden ticket. "

This tells me that even though you have found what obviously is a great load combination you are still open to trying something new or different and are keeping an open mind. Keep up the good work and thanks for shareing.

Take care ..... Pete

Boerrancher
02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Ron, that is some nice groups for a front stuffer to begin with, and it is great that you are still trying to do better. I don't think you will have any problems wacking a deer with that. I look forward to seeing your further testing results with the harder alloy.

Best wishes,

Joe

idahoron
02-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys. I am the kind of guy that wants to know what is over the hill. So finding out more about a bullet and load is kind of my second nature. I want to get it done though before the weather gets good enough to go sturgeon fishing in my inflatable pontoon. Ron

Nobade
02-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Ron,
What are you using for an over powder wad?

I had thought about trying that bullet but had decided against it due to the bore riding nose being smaller than the rest of it. Obviously that is not a problem! Looks like I'll have to try the Lyman #446410 in my rifle and see how that works. Keep up the good work, these bullet firing muzzleloaders sure take things to another level, eh?

idahoron
02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I am using wool felt with Hornady Great plains lube on them. I am really enjoying this rifle right now. Ron

kenyerian
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow Gonna have to try that. . What twist works best with the paper patching?

idahoron
02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
It depends on the bullet. I have a 1-30 in this rifle. For a 45 I wouldn't want a barrel any slower than that. Ron