PDA

View Full Version : I just need to know if I am doing it right

mirage2521
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
I went and shot my first few hundred reloads. They were also my first few hundred cast boolits. I had 2 squibs. No doubt I missed the powder step. I learned that lesson now.

I am shooting an XD45 Compact, 4.8gr of Titegroup, 230 cast round nose. All boolits went through my .452 sizer.

The first squib put the boolit almost out the end of the barrel. Maybe 2/3 of boolit showing. A few taps and it dropped out. Later in the day, the second one got stuck mid barrel. I tapped gently a few times to no avail. I left it alone because I did not have the proper tools.

I went home, dropped by Home Depot with my barrel in my pocket. I found a 3/8 or so round piece of steel stock and used it as a slide hammer....2 good taps and barrel was clear.

Is this normal? Should they hang like that. They were firmly in barrel but reponded to forcefull taps. I could clearly see the lands and grooves inprinted on the second boolit.

willie_pete
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
That's normal for a squib. I do not use steel; aluminum or brass is good.

WP

mirage2521
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
That's normal for a squib. I do not use steel; aluminum or brass is good.

WP

I didnt want to use steel really but there was no way I could sleep with that stuck in my barrel. I thought it was pretty normal and though I was doing a lot of shooting I was listening very very carefully for squibs especially as new as I am to this hobby. I will be purchasing a few brass rods from here for my calibers

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-alloy-rods/=ge2inz

Someone here poted this site earlier.

willie_pete
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Of course the real question is why you missed the powder step. Re-think your reloading process. Two squibs in 200 rounds is way too many.

WP

stubshaft
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Of course the real question is why you missed the powder step. Re-think your reloading process. Two squibs in 200 rounds is way too many.

WP

That's for sure. Maybe you r powder is bridging in the measure?

mirage2521
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM

WP

I know exactly why......I was trying to tweak things.....going back and forth over steps. Measuring and re-measuring powder. The system was simply not in place. Oh and simply being a little excited and trying to get some made. The next batch were a lot more methodic in their assembly.

ShooterAZ
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
You might want to look inside each case to be sure powder is in each on before seating. I set up a large reading lamp next to my presses so I can see what is going on. Pulling the trigger again on a sqib can be an unpleasant experience...

willie_pete
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
SLOW DOWN. I teach NRA Reloading. You could have just as easily had a double charge and you gun might look something like this:

runfiverun
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
well,,, you now have a, umm two bbl slugs.
i miss powder somehow once in a while, and it's quite a surprise when it occurs.
it's more like one in 5,000 or more.
i'd sure hate for it to happen when hunting, or in a more urgent situation.

sundog
02-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I was thinking the samest thing as WP - double (or more) charge could have been just as easy. I am also a certified NRA Metallic Reload instructor.

Check your procedure!

So, in answer to your question, No, this is not normal.

I am glad that you came here to this forum though. We have a really great bunch of folks here that can help get you lined out.

kbstenberg
02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Another simple powder check is a short piece of dowel that you can put into the case after it is charged. And the dowel has a mark on it at the level of the powder charge you are throeing.

cbrick
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I went home, dropped by Home Depot with my barrel in my pocket. I found a 3/8 or so round piece of steel stock and used it as a slide hammer....2 good taps and barrel was clear.

Reading that had much the same effect as finger nails on a blackboard. NEVER . . . NEVER use steel, brass or aluminum Only! Period!

Is it normal? Well, yeah, it's normal for a squib load. Is it normal to have a squib load? No, not really, you should use extreme caution and pay accute attention whenever measuring powder. No interuptions such as phone, kids, wife and/or girl friend etc. Your fingers and eye balls not to mention your firearm and bystanders could well depend on it.

Stay safe.

Rick

Lizard333
02-24-2012, 04:28 PM
I keep a rod in my bag just in case. Every time I have needed it since my first squib load, it has been to help someone else out. It happens to the best if us. I agree, 1% of your loads is a bit high. Once every few years is a little more understandable ;). What kind of reloading setup do you have? We might be able to help with a little more info.

Blammer
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
no that is not normal, having squibs.

if you get a brass one, wrap it in black electrical tape to protect anything it may rub against.

definitely check your proceedure for loading.

ku4hx
02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I once pulled ~250 45 Auto boolits because I thought I had a Bullseye double charge because of doing exactly what you did. After that I rigged up an LED light and I visually check EVERY charge before I set the boolit in place regardless of powder, boolit, caliber or etc.

fishnbob
02-24-2012, 06:42 PM
I always hold the block of cases under a desk lamp and look down each row and I don't scan first one way then the other. I start at the top and look down each row, one at a time. Takes about 10 seconds per 50 rounds. Since 1964, I have never had a squib or a FTF. Maybe I should knock on wood?

WD2A7X3
02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I use two seperate reloading blocks to hold casings as I reload. They get transfered back and forth each step so it's really hard to seat a bullet in one with no powder. Orginization and minimal distractions are the key to good reloading, lots of light helps too.

For squibs I prefer a hardwood dowel rod from home depot/lowes. Zero chance of damaging gun parts and they're plenty strong to knock a squib out. 2 out of 200 is pretty high, I'm going on 3 in the last 10+ years :)