PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Load Suggestions

ShooterAZ
02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Still new to casting and now expanding my horizons to rifle loads. I have a Lee 309-120 RN GC mold, have been using it for .30 Carbine. I'd like to try the same 120gr boolit in my Remington 1903 Springfield. I have lots of different powders, Unique, Trail Boss, Bullseye, etc. Can anyone give me a place to start? Will I need to expand the case necks for seating? How? Thanks for any advice.

Shooter

Ben
02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
10 - 12 grs. of Unique is a good starting spot with your bullet.

or 9.5 grs. - 10.5 grs. of Bullseye

Yes, you'll need a flare on the end of the case neck enough to allow the gas check ( only ) to freely enter the case mouth.

Ben

ku4hx
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Not knowing the condition of your rifle, I'd be hesitant to offer any loads. In lieu of making recommendations, I think you'd be well served by using Lyman's data in their cast bullet manual.

You might get away with just chamfering your case mouth, but I use a Lyman "M" die. It's always done a good job expanding the case mouth.

Interesting note on the "M" die. When the product was first cataloged for sale, it was item "M" in the list of items listed for sale. Because of that, it was commonly called the "M" die.

ShooterAZ
02-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Not knowing the condition of your rifle, I'd be hesitant to offer any loads.

It is a CMP rifle in excellent condition with correct headspace, and mirror bright bore. I have been using full power 30-06 loads(jacketed) with zero problems. I'm just looking for a light target/plinking/small game load. The boolit I am using works perfectly in .30 Carbine, My Dillon RL550 expands the neck. I will look into an expander.