PDA

View Full Version : Long time lurker finally needs a hand with Alox

mirage2521
02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Howdy all, I been lurking here for quite a while listening and learning. I finally have a question I cannot find an answer for. I have cast my first round of about 300 boolits. It all went well and I was pleased with how they came out. I was using a Lee tumble lube mold .452 and it seem to work fine. My questions started after I lubed and assembled. I placed my brand new rounds in plastic bags of 50 per bag. By the time I got to the range the Alox that was still a little sticky on the boolit had gotten all over all the casings and made everything a sticky mess. Is this normal? If so I am going to be trying s a new lube method. I really don't want Alox all over everything and everywhere. Once cast I allowed the boolits to cool then lubed them, set them on wax paper and didnt use them for 4-5 weeks, Plenty of time to dry I would think. Any Idea?

Gohon
02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
The LLA though it doesn't feel tacky is not rock hard when dry. The lube on the nose is not needed so just take a shop rag and spray a little brake cleaner, gas, or some other solvent on the rag and simply wipe the nose clean. 300 rounds wouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to clean.

For casts that I'm going to stow away for awhile I just take a old butter tub and dump in a bunch casts, add a half teaspoon of corn starch, put the lid on and roll then around in the tub the same as if I'm lubing them. I'll dump these in a wire strainer and blow off the excess corn starch with air.....no more stickiness. Some buy and use mica but there is a ton of corn starch in our kitchen and it works. Even then, once I load these I still wipe of the nose of the loaded cartridge.

rhbrink
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Welcome mirage2521 go over to the boolit lube forum and look up the 45-45-10 receipt it does dry a lot quicker and has a hard tougher finish and works just as well as straight LLA.

Richard

captaint
02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
mirage - I don't know what your ambient temps were, that could have had some effect. I would try using the 45/45/10 that is so popular. I used to wipe the boolits off after loading just because they looked nasty. Paint thinner and a rag. Nothing to it. enjoy Mike

ku4hx
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I dust all my lubed boolits with Motor Mica as a final step before actual loading. The coating eliminates tackiness and prevents getting the lube on the casings. I'd guess you're using too much LLA. I thin mine about 50/50 with Mineral Spirits and then apply a very light coating.

oscarflytyer
02-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Welcome mirage2521 go over to the boolit lube forum and look up the 45-45-10 receipt it does dry a lot quicker and has a hard tougher finish and works just as well as straight LLA.

Richard

+1. Hated straight Alox, and hate it even more now that I went to 45/45/10. It works great and is about 1/10th of the mess!

mirage2521
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Wow.... you guys make it seem so easy. I can't wait to get home and try these ideas out......Thanks a lot.

geargnasher
02-24-2012, 07:09 PM
This is a "+3" on 45/45/10. Find the how-to here including lots of pics: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

DO read and follow the directions carefully, I believe it will solve all of your problems, and a few you didn't mention!

Gear

rsrocket1
02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Ditto on Recluse's 45/45/10. BTW, I found Johnson's Paste Wax in the broom section of Walmart at about $5.80 per can. Also use Oderless Mineral Spirits, it makes things much more pleasant.

The bullets should have a thin, dry, waxy coating on them and even if dropped in smokeless powder, the powder flakes should simply brush right off.

alamogunr
02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Only slightly off topic. In the solvent aisle I have found "odorless" mineral spirits and "low odor" mineral spirits. The "low odor" costs more. ????

whisler
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Odorless Mineral Spirits has the aromatic (called that for more than one reason) solvents removed. These are then sold for more money. The Low Odor Mineral spirits still has some of the aromatics in it. If you have ever smelled Xylene, then all Mineral Spirits is low odor.

geargnasher
02-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Be carefull not to buy "green" paint thinner, it has a lot of water in it. Good, old-fashioned mineral spirit paint thinner is the least smelly of all of the ingredients for Recluse lube, so I don't see why it's even an issue.

Gear

Bullet Caster
02-25-2012, 04:08 AM
+5 on the 45/45/10 Recluse lube. I use it for 3 pistols and it works fine. I use Recluse lube and 50% beeswax for my rifle and ranch dip those (as I found pan lubing a mess). BC

ku4hx
02-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Be carefull not to buy "green" paint thinner, it has a lot of water in it. Good, old-fashioned mineral spirit paint thinner is the least smelly of all of the ingredients for Recluse lube, so I don't see why it's even an issue.

Gear

I guess I've been at least partially "green" for decades and didn't know it. I've always thinned [water based] Latex paint with water. The El-Cheapo stuff right out of the tap; none of that high falootin' bottled stuff for me..

I can't imagine thinning and oil based paint with anything that has water in it but they're coming out with new stuff every day.