PDA

View Full Version : Aperture sight mounted on Mosin Nagant dovetail

Hang Fire
02-24-2012, 03:12 AM
I tried to find the original thread discussing this, but could not go back that far to retrieve it.

The Mendoza aperture sight finally got back in stock, so I purchased one for mounting on Mosin Nagant 12 mm dovetail after the original rear sight was removed. I could not be more pleased with the aperture sight, it fit perfectly as if was designed to do so for this application. The hole in the supplied disc is large enough so it gives a very good sight picture even at that distance out on the barrel.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010360.jpg

I will be using it as a back up sight for dovetail mounted scout scope if it should fail. The quality of the Mendoza aperture sight for the price (30 bucks from PyramidAir) is excellent. Adjustments are graduated marked and the target adjustment knobs are a great feature. It has a stop screw which can be set after desired elevation is found, so that elevation can always be precisely returned to. I will zero it, then remove from dovetail and reinstall a few times, shooting groups each time to see if POA and POI remain near original setting.

http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/acc/555-12-2000-2003.jpg

nicholst55
02-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Now that's an interesting idea! How has the sight held up to the recoil of the Mosin? Have you tried it with milsurp Ball ammo?

Hang Fire
02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Not really concerned about recoil affecting it.

I mounted scout scope on the 12 mm dovetail and it hasn't budged (but I did a few times) with milsurp, some pretty hot J-word loads and scads of cast boolit ones.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010313.jpg

rhbrink
02-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a bubba'd Mosin that I managed to save from the ditch that it was about to be thrown in or maybe it was the pond. After cutting the barrel back several time and a little clean up it turned into a decent boolit shooter if I use a really hard boolit. Since I getting old enough that the rear sight is giving me some problems I was wanting to mount some type of peep but didn't want to waste much money on this SO I was looking around for something to make a peep out of to mount on the existing sight or whatever. Happened to be laying on the bench was a .223 case well that might work. I cut it off to about 1/4" in front of the web drilled out the flash hole bigger cleaned it up filed a notch in the existing rear sight about where I thought it should be got the sodder out and and soddered it together. Works like a champ I did turn the case so that I'm looking at the inside of the case gives me a nice shaded apperture and with the hole drilled big enough a fair sight picture good enough to shoot 2" groups at a 100 yds. when I get lucky.

imashooter2
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I have a forward aperture like that on my SKS. Not as good as a receiver mount close to the eye, but it works far better for my old eyes than the original blade.

dbldblu
02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I have a forward aperture like that on my SKS. Not as good as a receiver mount close to the eye, but it works far better for my old eyes than the original blade.

+1 My experience exactly. I can center up in a blurry peep just fine, but a blurry notch or V is worthless.

madsenshooter
02-24-2012, 11:58 PM
That Mendoza looks like a good place to plug in one of Williams twilight apertures. That's about as far forward as the aperture of my Madsen's rear sight, or those of my Krag rifles.

Hang Fire
02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
I have read the discs have the same thread and diameter as the Williams Disc

Know the disc threads are a larger diameter than those for the Marbles. I have a Williams FP on my Model 325 Stevens bolt action, so will dig it our of the safe and see if they are the same threads etc.