PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest i have seen

Charles2506
02-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Lyman #2 Close to it. Tt is 92%lead 6%ant. And 2% tin at a better price than roto metals has hardness is the same as lyman #2

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=92&category=12&secondary=&keywords=

bumpo628
02-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Yep, they're a good company. I used to buy bullets from them.
That is the best deal on Hardball that I've seen too. They also use flat rate boxes to save you on shipping cost.

The only problem is that the ad calls it Lyman #2, but the percentages are for Hardball. I sent them an email last year, but they haven't changed it.

azrednek
02-24-2012, 02:35 AM
The only problem is that the ad calls it Lyman #2, but the percentages are for Hardball. I sent them an email last year, but they haven't changed it.

Can't argue about it being a good price but if they say Lyman #2 it should be Lyman #2's formula. I have a couple of old Lyman molds and if I cast with anything other than Lyman #2 the castings drop under sized. Roto Metals price might be higher but one gets exactly what he paid for.

Defcon-One
02-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Lyman #2 Close to it. Tt is 92%lead 6%ant. And 2% tin at a better price than roto metals has hardness is the same as lyman #2

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=92&category=12&secondary=&keywords=

Hardball (Magnum Alloy) may be good for mass producing bullets that must be shipped, but it is a bit hard for most of my uses. The price is good for Lyman #2, but if it is Hardball Alloy, then it is light on Tin and heavy on Antimony and probably priced right.

Remember, that alloy is formed by mixing Linotype 50/50 with pure Lead. It was developed as a CHEAPER alternative to Lyman #2 for professional casters.

Also, If their Lyman #2 isn't really Lyman #2, I have to wonder what else isn't really what they say it is!

I would rather buy from someone who tells me the truth. Especially since they were notified of their mistake and have not changed it in a year. Personally, I consider that, intent to defraud.

Charles2506
02-24-2012, 01:26 PM
i have a bunch of pure lead thinking of mixing 50/50 to get the hardness up a little.

Bill*
02-24-2012, 08:39 PM
In the writing under the title, they say "Modern equivalent of Lyman #2 Casting Alloy". Not sure what that means, but it sorta explains the variation from true Lyman#2

Charles2506
02-24-2012, 11:04 PM
yeah i looked up what the hardness should be with the mix they use it should be aroud 18 or close to it. I know that dosnt mean much but i am gonna mix it with pure so it should bring the hardness around 12 and again i am shooting 45 long colt so not to hot just get the sights hitting for my vaquero.

bumpo628
02-24-2012, 11:47 PM
yeah i looked up what the hardness should be with the mix they use it should be aroud 18 or close to it. I know that dosnt mean much but i am gonna mix it with pure so it should bring the hardness around 12 and again i am shooting 45 long colt so not to hot just get the sights hitting for my vaquero.

Sounds good.
That will get you 1% tin, 3% antimony. A mix like that will work well for just about any pistol.

Defcon-One
02-25-2012, 12:02 AM
In the writing under the title, they say "Modern equivalent of Lyman #2 Casting Alloy". Not sure what that means, but it sorta explains the variation from true Lyman#2

Yeah, I e-mailed them a heads up on this issue this morning at 9:00 AM. I wonder if it always said that or if they changed it earlier today.

Anyone look at it yesterday and remember seeing that "Modern Equivalent" statement? I do not recall seeing it this morning, but it might have been there.

The header still reads "Lyman #2", which it is most definitely not!

i have a bunch of pure lead thinking of mixing 50/50 to get the hardness up a little.

That Alloy 2, 6, 92 mixed 50/50 with Pure Lead will get you pretty close to Isotope Lead at 1, 3, 96 and would be a great all purpose alloy.

bumpo628
02-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I e-mailed them a heads up on this issue this morning at 9:00 AM. I wonder if it always said that or if they changed it earlier today.
Anyone look at it yesterday and remember seeing that "Modern Equivalent" statement? I do not recall seeing it this morning, but it might have been there.
The header still reads "Lyman #2", which it is most definitely not!

No, they changed it.

Here is what it said on Feb 15th according to the google cache:

Lyman #2
6Sb2Sn92Pb Antimonial Lead
Foundry Bullet Alloy with Certified Analysis
Cast straight-up, this beautiful low-flux alloy will produce 18 BHN bullets.
66 lbs. @$2.07/lb. per flat-rate USPS shipping carton. Carton contains 8 ingots weighing approximately 8.3 lbs. apiece.
Price: $136.62
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CCtA-2SZu6cJ:www.missouribullet.com/details.php%3FprodId%3D92%26category%3D%26secondar y%3D%26keywords%3D+missouri+bullet+lyman+%232&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here is what it says today:

Lyman #2
6Sb2Sn92Pb Antimonial Lead
Modern equivalent of Lyman #2 Casting Alloy
Commonly also known as Hardball or Magnum alloy
Foundry Bullet Alloy with Certified Analysis
Cast straight-up, this beautiful low-flux alloy will produce 18 BHN bullets.
66 lbs. @$2.07/lb. per flat-rate USPS shipping carton. Carton contains 8 ingots weighing approximately 8.3 lbs. apiece.
Price: $136.62

Since you seem to have some pull with them, why don't you email them again and get them to change the heading.[smilie=l:

AndyC
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Damn, that's annoying - my buddy and I just bought some of that a few weeks ago.

Guess we'll have to look closer at the ratios in future instead of just taking them at their word.

Echo
02-25-2012, 04:39 PM

I would add 1% Sn (just on general principles) bringing it up to 2% total, to ensure mold fill-out.

IM Never-to-be HO

bumpo628
02-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Damn, that's annoying - my buddy and I just bought some of that a few weeks ago.

Guess we'll have to look closer at the ratios in future instead of just taking them at their word.

The percentages have always said (for years) that the alloy is 2% tin, 6% antimony, aka "Hardball". So, I'm sure that is what you have.

AndyC
02-25-2012, 09:54 PM
The percentages have always said (for years) that the alloy is 2% tin, 6% antimony, aka "Hardball".
No, it's wasn't quite that obvious - what it said (and what I missed) was where it subtly "6Sb2Sn92Pb"; my eyes skipped that completely.

If it had said "Hardball" or "6Sb 2Sn 92Pb", I would have picked up on that immediately; I guess I read that splurge of characters "6Sb2Sn92Pb" as a serial-number or product-code, especially since Lyman #2 was in bold.

Charles2506
02-25-2012, 11:44 PM
i guess if i need 2% tin i will just get linotype and mix it 50-50 to get the proper mix with my pure anyone know of a good place that is cheaper than roto metals.

letsmeltlead2693
02-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Sb is the chemical symbol for antimony, Sn is the chemical symbol for tin, and obviously Pb is chemical symbol for lead.

AndyC
02-26-2012, 06:54 PM
:roll: You don't say.

My point is that the ad looked like this:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3006/42102483.jpg

Real easy to Monday-morning quarterback the issue when you know exactly what to look for. The hint was there, sure - but we shouldn't have to decipher what appears to be random characters to discover "heyyyyy, this isn't Lyman #2 as the title says..."

If it had looked even something like this below, it would have been a lot easier to spot it first time - even keeping the title "Lyman #2":

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/995/97546807.jpg

I'm irritated at myself because I usually catch stuff like this pretty quickly - but I'm highly irritated at them for being misleading and calling it Lyman #2 in the first place. Just call it Hardball like everybody else:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7786/84764403.jpg

I won't bother complaining to them; I'll simply buy from Rotometals in the future. That way I'll rest easy knowing that when I order something titled "Lyman #2", I'll actually be getting 5% Sn, 5% Sb and 90% Pb.