PDA

View Full Version : lubing bevel base bullet

turmech
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
The lee 452-230-TC I ordered arrived today. I was unhappy to see that it had a bevel base. I did not remember seeing the bevel base when I ordered it. I typically pan lube and use the cake cutter method. Does any one know any tricks to keep the lube out of the bevel base? Or best way to remove it?

happyret65
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Machinist cuts the top of the mold off down to the flat base. Easy to do, if you know someone with a lathe.

btroj
02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Or just ignore the lube on the base and go shoot.

DLCTEX
02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Geargnasher has removed the bevel base on Lee moulds with a knife and sandpaper. Go slowly. I have used a styrofoam disc in the lubesizer to form to the base of the boolit, but I no longer have a BB mould.

runfiverun
02-24-2012, 01:00 AM
if it's the little roll on the base it's easily wiped off.
you could remove it from the mold.

MT Chambers
02-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Use a Star sizer, when set up properly, you dictate what gets filled with lube, and it's ten X faster.

mdi
02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Me too. Pics showed plain base, but when mold arrived, it was bevel base. I drilled the bevel out of one cavity and cast a few (carefully clamped mold in jig and used a sharp drill going slowly). IIRC; I used a 29/64 drill (.453") and when lubed/sized there is no indication af a "bubba-ed" mold...

Josh Smith
02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Hello,

I cast hot for good fillout. Got into the habit with black powder and pure lead.

Anyway, I can bevel base mine if I want -- but I don't have to. The sprue stays liquid long enough that if I shake the mold just a tiny bit, it fills out any bevel.

Helps fillout the nose, too, and when you're ready to cool it just slap it on a damp cloth.

I get very shiny boolits like this from pure lead, and no frosting whatsoever!

Might give it a try. A word of caution though: When I cast hot like this to eliminate the bevel, the extra lead on the base gives me about 10 extra grains per boolit. Not a huge deal, but be aware.

Regards,

Josh

Alan in Vermont
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyway, I can bevel base mine if I want -- but I don't have to. The sprue stays liquid long enough that if I shake the mold just a tiny bit, it fills out any bevel.

My mind just can't see how you get lead to replace iron while casting. Any BB mold I have seen has as solid iron/brass/aluminum fillet built into the mold to provide the bevel.

It sounds to me like you're filling out the base of a flat base boolit that isn't filling out by normal casting technique. Lot of difference between a rounded, not filled out base and a bevel base boolit coming out of a mold desigend to make it that way.

Josh Smith
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
My mind just can't see how you get lead to replace iron while casting. Any BB mold I have seen has as solid iron/brass/aluminum fillet built into the mold to provide the bevel.

It sounds to me like you're filling out the base of a flat base boolit that isn't filling out by normal casting technique. Lot of difference between a rounded, not filled out base and a bevel base boolit coming out of a mold desigend to make it that way.

Alan,

Looks like I was wrong and you were right.

My tumble lube version of the same mold was advertised as a bevel-base, and to a point it is.

However, I just received the new version of the standard lube mold today, and it would seem that base is much more beveled than the tumble lube version.

So... ignore what I said!

Regards,

Josh