PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Mold

Lonestar22
02-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Accurate Mold #35-125R? I'm thinking it might be a good one for 9MM.
Thanks,
Tim

white eagle
02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
not that mold but Tom has good molds
you wont be sorry

Grandpas50AE
02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Accurate Mold #35-125R? I'm thinking it might be a good one for 9MM.
Thanks,
Tim

Not that particular one, but I have the 35-140S for use in my .38 Super. Tom's molds are top-notch, and so is his service.

geargnasher
02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
+1 on Tom's moulds and service being absolutely top-notch.

As for the original question, I have no idea if it would be good for 9mm or not because I don't know what your 9mm's chamber and throat is like.

Gear

grubbylabs
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Tom is great to work with, weather you are looking for a plinker or a specific use bullet he will be able to help you.

Tar Heel
02-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Suggestion....shoot Tom an email and ask him the same question regarding the mold. I have purchased several from him due to his willingness to help and assist. His customer service is TOP NOTCH. Molds are fantastic. He is a craftsman.

Lonestar22
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks to all for your feedback. Now my next step is to email Tom.
Tim

onesonek
02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I really like my AM molds, but like others's, do not have experience with that mold. In my mind, Tom's work is second to none! Also like Gear, not knowing what your throat is like, it is hard to make any suggestions,,,other than slug the throat, get an email to Tom as suggested with those measurement's. And, give him your thoughts on design, then see what his expertise comes up with.

Lonestar22
02-24-2012, 06:17 PM
An email conversation with Tom put me on track with what I needed to order, and my first Accurate Mold order was placed today. From all the positive feedback I have received and the photos I have seen of the molds and CB’s, I believe I will be very pleased with my purchase.
Tim

Jailer
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
You'll be real happy with your AM purchase. I dare say it won't be your last.

Tar Heel
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Jailer nailed it. It all starts with that first one. Post a pic when you get your mold in....hahaha....3-weeks!

So you know....Tom can't count.

Grandpas50AE
02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Jailer nailed it. It all starts with that first one. Post a pic when you get your mold in....hahaha....3-weeks!

So you know....Tom can't count.

+1. Tom will get some more of my "upgrade" business.

Colorado4wheel
02-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks,
Tim

I have his 35-135R. Nice mold. He nailed it to get it just the way I wanted it. Couldn't be happier to finally have a mold that cast at the size I want it to cast at.

MikeS
02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Somebody needs to teach Tom the difference between weeks, and days! His site says 3 weeks, but I've gotten moulds from him in 3 days! He had to have made the mould within a couple of hours of my ordering it, so he could send it out later that same day to get here that quickly!

On second thought, maybe we shouldn't teach him the difference! :)

Tar Heel
03-01-2012, 05:06 PM
An email conversation with Tom put me on track with what I needed to order, and my first Accurate Mold order was placed today. From all the positive feedback I have received and the photos I have seen of the molds and CB’s, I believe I will be very pleased with my purchase.
Tim

Did ya get your mold yet??

Lonestar22
03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I placed my order on 24 Feb and it arrived today. Tom must use a different factor for his three week lead time. [grin]
As soon as I figure out how to post a photo I will. If someone can point me in the direction of a How To Post Photos, I would appreciate your help.
Tim

Never mind I found Buckshot's How To on posting photos.
Tim

Tar Heel
03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
When you reply click the "go advanced" button.

Scroll down till you see the "attach files" window.

Click "Manage Attachments"

Under "Upload from your computer, select "Browse" to locate the file, then click "upload".

That should do it. After that, click "submit reply" just like normal.

Lonestar22
03-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks Tar Heel for the info. I did find Buckshots instructions too.
Sunday after church I will be casting with my new mold, and hope to post pics of the mold and the CB's.
Tim

Tar Heel
03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks Tar Heel for the info. I did find Buckshots instructions too.
Sunday after church I will be casting with my new mold, and hope to post pics of the mold and the CB's.
Tim

No sweat. Glad to assist. Have fun with that new mold!! Can't wait to see some pictures.

Shooter6br
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Tom made up a 31-L for me ( Lyman 314299 "inspired") Got it in 6 days! Great mold Just as decribed.

onesonek
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Somebody needs to teach Tom the difference between weeks, and days! His site says 3 weeks, but I've gotten moulds from him in 3 days! He had to have made the mould within a couple of hours of my ordering it, so he could send it out later that same day to get here that quickly!

On second thought, maybe we shouldn't teach him the difference! :)

[smilie=l:,,,,I don't mind Tom being a tad conservative on his lead time. It's always a welcome suprise when it comes regardless!

Lonestar22
03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I like my new Accurate Mold is a joy to cast with. Tom calls out an as cast diameter of .357" +.0015 -.0000 using WW's +2% tin. That's the alloy I used and this mold in within tolerance, as you can see from the photo. The as cast weight is a tad over the 125gr spec, but I'll bit neither the pistol or target will notice. [grin] A custom mold can spoil you, that's for sure.

Tar Heel
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Those are good looking bullets! Thanks for sharing the pictures. You do realize you are hooked now don't you?

Piedmont
03-05-2012, 12:20 AM
That design looks like a perfect all-rounder for 9mm.

Lonestar22
03-05-2012, 09:38 AM
I have been casting since 1982, and this is my first custom mold. I am impressed by the mold quality, and Tom’s attention to details.
I think we all know that commercial mold makers cannot produce a mold of this quality, and still make a profit. However that does not excuse them from making molds out of round, undersized or with miss-aligned blocks. It seems to me they have placed the responsibility of quality inspection with us the consumer and not on the production line where it belongs.
This 125gr mold design is an all-round natural for 9MM, and I feel it will have good possibilities in .38/357 revolvers. I loaded 30 rounds using 4.1grs of 231 to test in my Hi Power this coming Saturday, and will post the results.
Tim

Tar Heel
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
I think we all know that commercial mold makers cannot produce a mold of this quality, and still make a profit.

It's a shame isn't it? The product line-up has dried up as well. At least folks like Tom realize the niche that is present and hopefully are making a few bucks servicing it.

I look forward to hearing about the results of you 9mm HP loads.

Jailer
03-05-2012, 06:05 PM
The last few posts make me curious. How much can a guy like Tom make doing just custom molds?

It seems to me that it would take a significant financial investment in equipment to churn out molds of this quality. Would I be right to assume that molds are not Tom's only business? Could a guy survive and/or do well financially on just custom mold making?

Lonestar22
03-05-2012, 09:42 PM
A good machinist, like a good welder is worth their weight in gold. I feel confident to say Tom is a master machinist, and as such his talents are in demand, and not just for producing quality bullet molds.
Tim