PDA

View Full Version : Creek Walk Today

beagle
02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
The weather's been so wet and the ground so muddy that I haven't been out much this winter to shoot. Today, my hay man was moving hay across my river and the wind was calm so I decided to get out. Brown also brought a set of Altamount's double based ivory grips for my 4 5/8" Blackhawk convertible and I was raring to try them.

I've been messing with my "shark's tooth" TP and had a box of Lyman 358480HPs with the sharks tooth impression on the cavity edges. These were wearing Pat's pop can '35PB gas checks. These were in 9mms.

While he was moving hay, I worked the river front and killed all the plastic bottles and pop cans I encountered and had a ball.

The grips are thicker than the normal Ruger grips which is a plus for me and I like 'em and will get a set for my .44 Special.

The ammo performed beautifully and I didn't have any crippled cans or bottles. Too bad there were no recovered bullets as I'd have like to have seen how that bullet is opening with the shark's teeth.

At any rate, I had a pleasant outing and got to shoot my new grips and it's been a good day. You can't ask or better than that./beagle

Matt3357
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Post a picture of these sharks toothed boolits? I am sure you have made a post about it, I just haven't come across it.

Matt

beagle
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Matt, I'll get you some photos and a write up on here soon. My camera went busted and I got my wife one and haven't learned how to use it yet for macros.

I'm taking a flat TP and drilling and tapping for a setscrew down the center. I then turn the tip down to fit a HP cavity. The flat part of the TP has six small, sharp ridges about 1/16" high milled in it radiating from the center.

When you lubricate and size, the pin centers in the cavity and the six ridges indent the edge of the cavity in six places. This indents and fractures the cavity edge and also distorts it just a bit after sizing. When loading, the seating screw reprofiles the distorted portion and they look great.

I made them primarily for the 9mm and .38 Special as they need all the expansion help they can get. From my experiments, I'll need two TPs. One with a 10-32 screw for 9mms, .44s and .45s and one with a smaller, say 6-32 screw for .32s and the .30 Carbine.

I've done .44 Specials, .44 Mags, .45 ACP, .45 Colt and some 457122s for the .45/70.

This is the first time I've shot any and haven't recovered any bullets but it should allow the nose to split and expand pretty good on the slower calibers. Like a casters Black Talon. I'm hoping but I know I won't get that spectacular performance but I hope it will be better than a regular HP./beagle

Matt3357
02-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Ahh I see what you are saying now. If nothing else it will at least look pretty sweet. With boolits being a homogeneous material rather than a copper jacketed material, I don't know how much it will actually help, but I look forward to seeing pictures of loaded rounds and maybe some pictures of some recovered boolits.

Matt

Bullet Caster
02-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Yeah, me too. I'd like to see some photos of those. BC

429421Cowboy
02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Pic's! I'm very interested but can't get my idea around the whole thing yet