PDA

View Full Version : How do you know what length you want the bullet and which alloy

catkiller45
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
deleted oo

RMulhern
02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
No....not pure lead; alloy recipes range from probably 1-16 tin/lead to 1-50 or possibly higher on the lead content! There are many unanswerable questions in this game and basically you have to go through a T&E period for YOUR RIFLES....as they're all different and what mine likes....yours may find totally revolting!! Supposedly....short/stubby bullets akin to the old 500 gr. snub-nosed military bullet shoot very well as you can kick them in the **** with a heavy load without bending the nose whereas with the longer/pointed bullets....one needs to beware about 'nose setback' cuz bent bullets aren't too accurate!!:violin:[smilie=w::veryconfu

catkiller45
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
what about 1in30 would that be too soft? That is what my GG bullets are...So now we are into another guessing game..That is why I would like to find someone who is casting a bullet of ,let say .441 diameter of different alloys so I could buy a few just to experement with...Looks like it might be a range day after all...Guess I will load a few and go make some smoke....John:drinks:

RMulhern
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I like the BACO PP MB at 1-40 alloy and it works quite well with 102 gr. KIK 2F!!

[smilie=w::popcorn:

Don McDowell
02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Catkiller for 125$ you can get ahold of Bernie at Old West moulds and have him cut you a .441 adjustable nose pour mould. From there you can experiment with alloys and length till the cows come home...

catkiller45
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Catkiller for 125$ you can get ahold of Bernie at Old West moulds and have him cut you a .441 adjustable nose pour mould. From there you can experiment with alloys and length till the cows come home...

I haven't got 125 dollars to spend right now....Thanks anyway....I am going to leave this forum anyway..All one does is ask for some advice and get a bunch of **** in return...

Don McDowell
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Well sorry to hear people gave you a bunch of ****.
Paper patch moulds aren't cheap, I suppose it's because none of the big production outfits offer one, except RCBS and that mould cost's more than a BACO.
Not many people custom cast slicks either. I suppose cuz there's as many preferences to bullet alloy and shape and use as there is folks that shoot them...