PDA

View Full Version : Been a good month

buyobuyo
02-23-2012, 01:34 AM
I don't get out often to scrounge, but it's been a good month for me. I bought 175 pounds or so of pure lead for ~$160 from a guy in one of the clubs I'm in and got 32 pounds of clip-on weights for free from him. Then I hit up the 4 tire shops in town that will give me weights. So far I've got about half a bucket of clip-on weights, including the weights mentioned earlier. I still need to go back to one of the shops because they needed a couple days to get some weights together for me. To top it off, this was my first time hitting up one of the shops, and they agreed to take a bucket and give me a call when it's time to come get it. [smilie=w: None of the other shops have gone for that idea yet and just say to come around every so often.

Anyways, just figured I would share since it's been a good scrounging month. Not like some you read, but it's good for me and every bit adds to the stash.

bumpo628
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Legwork pays off. Nice work!

jlm223
02-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Good for you, every bit helps, I have learned if you don't ask you will never know.

buyobuyo
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks. Definitely true on both accounts.

canyon-ghost
02-24-2012, 07:49 PM
That's good news! I got my first bucket of wheelweight by paying for it, and then bought my tires at the shop. If they have anyone wanting to get rid of lead, they let me know. Want a lot of wheelweight? Buy most of it, and buy tires from them.

I'm not all that great at scrounging, myself!

Good Luck,
Ron

buyobuyo
02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I've made the same offer to all the shops in town that I've gotten weights from, which is to leave a 5 gal bucket there with my name/number on it and when they call to say that it's full, I'll come by and give them $20-30 for their trouble. So far all but this latest one have declined the offer and just said to come by every so often and they'll get me some.

I also had a guy an hour away that got me 2-3 buckets from where ever he works. Unfortunately, someone else started getting the bucket before him, and I haven't got anymore from him since.