PDA

View Full Version : Cheap source for wooden handles?

crabo
02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Is there a cheap source for replacement wooden handles to put on your steel handles? I have several old sets of handles that just need the wood replaced. I don't have a lathe, or I would just make them.

Any suggestions?

Aloxite
02-22-2012, 11:32 PM
How about file handles.

http://www.amazon.com/Link-Handle-30572-00-Screw-File/dp/B000BO6PMM

TreeKiller
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Got a drill? Use a old broom handle.

OBIII
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Wood dowel and drill bit?

stubshaft
02-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Wood dowel and drill bit?

+1 Just drill out the dowel and JB Weld the steel part in.

midnight
02-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Use broom handles or a hardwood dowel. If you have a drill press you have a lathe. I drill a hole in the end and screw in a lag bolt. I got dozens of them cuz I never throw anything away. I got dozens of broomsticks for the same reason. Cut the head off with a hack saw and chuck it in the drill press. I helps to take a rasp and kind of round the other end. If you are using the top end of a broomstick it's already rounded. Bring the table up til the rounded end snuggles in the hole in the table and turn it on. With a 4 in hand rasp and a chisel or two you can make as fancy a handle as you want. Take it easy though. drill presses are not designed for much of a side load.

Bob

One more thing. I always pin the handles on. Drill a 3/32 hole through everything an drive in a 3/32 roll pin. I got 100 of them for $6 at Fastenal. Grind off any excess. I don't take credit for the roll pin idea. Someone here on the forum did it first.