PDA

View Full Version : Full length sizing 223

Exclr8
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I have tons of experience loading pistol and but limited rifle. I have been full length sizing with the die bottomed out. I read this bumps the shoulder back more than is needed and can lead to premature case failure.

I decided to get a case headspace gauge. I discovered that my Lee full length die even when bottomed out does not bump the shoulder back. In fact it causes it to grow.

I have discovered if i put the die in my forester and turn it one turn in past hard flush so the press will only with great force snap over, it will bump the shoulder by 0.002-0.003 in. No matter what I will not bump the shoulder back in my hornady progressive.

What set of dies works better?

Reverend Recoil
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't think you have aproblem as long as your cartridges are easily chambered and extracted.

Exclr8
02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I don't think you have aproblem as long as your cartridges are easily chambered and extracted.

That is the thing. I have had several rounds not allow the battery to fully close. Seems the die is allowing the case to grow to long for the headspace of the gun.

engineer401
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
I use RCBS dies for 223. I also have a Dillon case gauge to verify the die is adjusted in my press. I have never had any problems using RCBS or Dillon dies.

stubshaft
02-23-2012, 01:00 AM
It would not be the die itself but the expander ball. Make sure you lube the inside of the neck with graphite.

Iowa Fox
02-23-2012, 01:36 AM
I have a bunch of differnt 223 dies including Dillon. My experience is that Redding dies are the easiest to make the shoulders do what I want them to do.

Bwana
02-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Get yourself a RCBS X-die and follow the instructions and you won't look back.

GabbyM
02-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Fired cases may or may not get a shoulder bump depending on the headspace length of the rifle they were fired in.

buyobuyo
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
If you know someone with a lathe, just take a few thousandths off the bottom of the die. Then check it and repeat until you get what you want. Also, are you wiping off all the sizing lube before measuring the sized round? If not, it will effect the measurement.

Exclr8
02-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Get yourself a RCBS X-die and follow the instructions and you won't look back.

Are u using the small base or regular? I read on the spear website that for the AR small base is usually not needed.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-24-2012, 08:18 AM
The small base is not needed. Bwana's advice on using an X-die is very good. Just get the standard one and follow the instructions. Works great.

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
+1 on the x die. used one a bunch today.

For .223's in AR's sometimes you need a small base sizing die. If the chamber is tight it will prevent the bolt from closing all the way. It's not becasue of the shoulder it's becasue the base of the cartridge is too big for the chamber.

Randy